Need FTP server help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to run a FTP server from my home web server. Im using dyndns to get the web server out onto the net. I also use this machine for a VNC server for my company. The OS is windows XP, I didnt set this up Im just running it from my home.

I have a basic ftp service running but as of now its not secured not is there any user accounts setup. This server also only works with the folder "C:\Inetpub\ftproot". Iv already port forwarded 21 for the pc. Iv tried using FTP server software like Filezilla, Serv-U and zFTPServer admin but for what ever reason I cant get them to run.

For example, on Serv-U, Local server says running, but under Domains the server I setup with my info, that wont run. But when I look at the activity log, it says " Wed 08Sep10 00:28:04 - SERVER IS NOT LISTENING ON IP **.***.***.***: Port number 21 already in use!" So I tried forwarding other ports then I get this. "Wed 08Sep10 00:38:26 - SERVER IS NOT LISTENING ON IP **.***.***.**: Trying to use non-existent IP address?"

FileZilla just says "Error could not connect to server"
zFTPServer says "Error: Unable to activate FTP Server on port(s) 21"

So Im lost, I want a secure working FTP server but I also need to make sure it will work with everything else going. It should I dont think there is any real conflicts to worry about. Just no clue what to do now to fix this.

Edit: my router is the Dlink DIR-685

Another thing I need to add, I can access the first server I talked about from my site, ftp:// myhostinginfo.dyndns.org. Thats how I want the FTP to work, access through the site. Ill go with the first option if there is a way to secure it. It would be perfect if I could have one folder public and one private.

Last edited:
I forget which one but you need to change from an ACTIVE FTP server to PASSIVE mode or vice versa.

Also not sure you can use dyndns with this as one of the modes uses random ports.

what needs to be changed, on the server software? Im not seeing an option anywhere

It sounds like you're putting your public IP as the bind address for the FTP server. This won't work since the public IP is on your router's interface, not your PCs. You need to (probably) leave that option at the default or blank or whatever and set the NAT/passive IP address to your real external IP so that passive FTP works. Then set the data ports to a range that you have forwarded to your internal address, as well as the command port.

The first error probably means that IIS FTP is running or something. You probably want to disable that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back