Need for Speed Unbound

Need for Speed Unbound- VOL 2 Content Update Trailer

includes the new $5 'Keys to the Map' DLC which mark the locations of all the collectibles and activities on the game’s map, which you can find on your own, but I guess this saves you some time...so yes, EA is literally charging for open-world map markers....

Need for Speed Unbound- VOL 2 Content Update Trailer

includes the new $5 'Keys to the Map' DLC which mark the locations of all the collectibles and activities on the game’s map, which you can find on your own, but I guess this saves you some time...so yes, EA is literally charging for open-world map markers....

They have been doing map DLC to show all the collectibles and hidden events in Forza Horizon since the first game.

Oh Unbound. I wanted to like it and for the first hour or two I did. After that, man did the formula start to get old.

I really liked the NFS games as a kid and was looking for a racing game for my own son. What's a good alternative to NFS Unbound? Forza? I'm looking for more straight arcade racer rather than GTA-lite.

I really liked the NFS games as a kid and was looking for a racing game for my own son. What's a good alternative to NFS Unbound? Forza? I'm looking for more straight arcade racer rather than GTA-lite.

Forza Horizon. The non-Horizon games are more realistic, but the Horizon titles are very much NFS-like, but better. I consider 4 and 5 to be the best two arcade racers in forever. Both are on Gamepass, too.

Check out Horizon Chase Turbo for arcade-style racing.

A new Need for Speed will be arriving on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC this December, featuring the return of Criterion as the lead developer for the first time in close to a decade

titled 'Need for Speed Unbound', Criterion's long-awaited return to the racing scene will utilize new-gen consoles and the Frostbite Engine to deliver 4K 60fps visuals in a free-roaming open world called Lakeshore...the physics will run at a high frame-rate as well, offering "more control and nuance to the physical movement of the cars," creative director Kieran Crimmins says...the game will feature the input of rapper A$AP Rocky, who will have his own mode in the new entry which also marks the franchise's return to its street racing roots

launches December 2nd (Steam, Epic Games Store, Origin)...

https://www.ign.com/articles/need-for-speed-unbound-announced-ps5-xbox-pc

WTF is this garbage?

This game is proper garbage. I want my 30 bucks back.
Didn't even try to finish it.

This game is proper garbage. I want my 30 bucks back.
Didn't even try to finish it.
RIP, NFS. May ye be reunited with greatness one day. Games today are a lot different.

maxresdefault.jpg

The DOS version was superior. I played that one for countless hours.
Same! I bought it at Sam's Club when they still had a section of PC games. That version ruled...

BUT that early IP (before anyone knew what NFS was) hitting a next-gen console like that was also awesome. Going from SNES to that...my mind was blown.

What was once unique and special has turned into an endlessly regurgitating sequence of mostly trash or at best flawed filler "sequels"...shame.

Can i revive this thread?

I have to restart this game for the third time due to my having like 60k before the first qualifier and upgraded my car except engine and it said my car was B class so I put car back to stock and it still said not the right class....

Can i revive this thread?

I have to restart this game for the third time due to my having like 60k before the first qualifier and upgraded my car except engine and it said my car was B class so I put car back to stock and it still said not the right class....

From memory, you can scale back to whatever your previous parts were. You essentially own those parts for each car. So if you had a B-Class car and boosted it too much and it became an A, you can just go back to your previous parts at no charge. I don't recall the specific scores, but it was something like 100-125 was C class, 126-150 was B, 151 to 180 was A, and so forth. The goal was to have your car at the bleeding edge of the class without going up to the next class. You could boost any car all the way to the moon, but the cars that started off in the higher classes were better than boosting a lower car. For instance, taking a Honda Civic all the way to the highest score would leave you with a car that isn't as good as a maxed out Porsche or Lambo.

EDIT: Also, for some of the end-of-the-week races you have to have multiple cars. So you might need both a C and a B car. By the end of the game you need one of every class.

I gave up on this game, I couldnt remap some of the controls and after 14 hours in game I still had the same shitty starter car and was presented with few options to upgrade. I'm not a pro gamer or anything but this game is way to miserly with the cars, unless thats what the developers wanted?

Graphics were cool though.

I was into this game early on but just got bored. I haven't touched it in months.

This heap is $9.79 on Steam. I'm only calling it a heap based on the complaining I see on its Steam forum. I figure this is bargain bin pricing for what's supposed to be a triple-A game, so I bought it. Will report back if I rage because I read that the AI is super bad...

I've played for 6 hours. I'm not sure if they've fixed the game since release, but the AI and police don't seem any more aggressive than in past NFS games. Yes the AI does some annoying stuff and seems to miraculously recover, yes you're probably screwed if you have a major wreck (you can restart the race), but you just need to be aggressive and mean to the AI opponents. Nudge the AI into oncoming traffic or walls, listen to AI vehicle sound approaching from your left or right rear and then occupy the space in front of them. When running from police, go offroad, make sudden direction changes, or go as fast as possible on a straight road; pay attention to the map (that shows police position) and avoid them. Also, if you're in a low heat status, keep moving past police and they won't be able to identify you.

In the prologue, I might've gotten 1st place twice. After the prologue, I'm mostly 3rd place, but sometimes get 1st. There's always someone with a higher vehicle rating, so it's unlikely you're going to smash the competition, but you can be aggressive to at least get better than 4th place. This game does have the same vehicle rating system from NFS Heat (ex: A123), so that should put things into perspective if you're having difficulty. Again, I'm not sure if they tweaked the game over time, but I've always had to be a jerk to the AI opponents back to NFS Underground, so Unbound is more of the same.

I bought the Eclipse GSX, I'm on Wednesday of the first week, and the car is just under A+ rating; they wouldn't let me upgrade it to A+ because there aren't yet any A+ races available. Take the extra jobs when prompted, do the other small challenges when you come across them on the street (destroy signs and the bear statues, discover art) , do all the races you can in a day/night, and you should have enough money to get by.

For $10, I can't complain yet. The music is indie underground rap music that is mostly bearable except one French rap song where the guy doesn't know what to do so he just says "brrr" every 4th beat.

Edit: Alright, I think I see how people get mad about the police. I had $17k, end of night and needed to get back to a safehouse. Lost it because they threw all the police at me. To be fair, I did a crappy job at escaping, but they did get brutal.

Edit: Escaped Level 5 pursuit, hid from helicopters, escaped helicopters, more helicopters even though pursuit ended... I'm seeing why people dislike this game. The helicopters supposedly go away if you wait long enough. They have A LOT of helicopters.

Final (Feb 23 2024):
I ended up dropping to the easy difficulty after getting busted three times in a row in the first week. At easy difficulty, the races were too easy but the police were manageable. Escaping level-5 police on Challenging difficulty either has a high learning curve or it needs to be re-balanced, regardless, I didn't feel like I wanted to learn how to deal with police while simultaneously trying to earn money that can be taken away with no ability to load an earlier save (too much risk). I believe that the police are like an invisible wall that keeps you from becoming over-powered in the game. I would limit myself to 2-3 races per day and night session to avoid accumulating level-5 heat.

If you want to put some time into a game that is going to abuse you for wanting to play all the races, then you'll like this.

Last edited:
Need for Speed Unbound Year 2 Roadmap

Criterion Games surprised fans by announcing another year of support for Need for Speed Unbound celebrating the franchises' 30th anniversary

Criterion intends for this year of live service to be the first step in providing the ultimate NFS experience in a single game...they're aiming to release four volumes of new content, starting with Head to Head (February-April), then Drift & Drag (May-July, inspired by NFS Underground), Cops vs. Racers (August-October, inspired by NFS: Hot Pursuit), and lastly a currently unnamed volume of content scheduled for October-December...

https://www.ea.com/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-unbound/news/y2-roadmap

roadmap.jpg

Back