Need for Speed: The Run Sucks

Picked it up for $20 and I enjoy it. I get to cuss and bitch out loud as much as I want at it and be completely justified. The cops in the game are as annoying as a BF3 hacker with LMG headshotting everyone.

Get an achievement for driving at 'Top Speed" and a cop passes and then rams you five feet off the pavement. This restarts the last section of road and you have to do that section all over again. Then the npc racers you were competing against pass you because they caught up and you lose.

Like I said best nerd rage game ever!

I'll say it too...

capping 30 fps in a game is the most retarded shit ever! That's an automatic no buy from me

At first it's cool but after awhile 30 fps thru out game is annoying as hell

I seriously donot understand the hate about the frame cap. 30Fps is lag free, as long as you have a capable rig you wont go below 30fps. People may aswell start bitching about how their eyes suck because they cant tell difference after 60fps.

The graphics looked good on the youtube video i watched, i been thinking about getting it but i need a wired xbox controller to even think of playing any racing game on pc...

I seriously donot understand the hate about the frame cap. 30Fps is lag free, as long as you have a capable rig you wont go below 30fps. People may aswell start bitching about how their eyes suck because they cant tell difference after 60fps.

Thus says the guy on a Celeron....

I'd explain it to you, but this is [H]. You should know better.

Need For Speed has been nothing but yearly fecal ejections since Porsche Unleashed.

Well, I did very much enjoy Underground 2.

That is actually the only NFS game I have owned since Porsche Unleashed (have played almost all of them), and its just about the only one that doesn't suck completely. It barely teeters on acceptable IMO. Porsche Unleashed was the masterpiece of the series. Great graphics at the time, tons of cars, great sounds. Several tuning options, car setup options, car damage, cash management, buy and sell used cars, accurate physics by comparison to other NFS games, European themed tracks, and just about every Porsche ever made up to the year 2000.

I'm half tempted to throw in the disk and fire it up, but I prefer my nostalgia instead.

You'd be surprised how much of a bullshit game Porsche Unleashed is these days but yeah.

Picked this up when it was $20 on Origin Cyber Monday and its a blast! Got everything maxed out and its silky smooth in Surround, looks gorgeous and the 30 FPS cap isn't a problem for me, the frame rate is locked, ZERO dips. I've played other racers that had much higher frames but didn't feel anywhere near as fluid. This game was easily worth $20j straight up old school arcade racer, exactly what I'd hoped.

It's so good that it comes FREE with your subscription to Sports Illustrated. :p

You'd be surprised how much of a bullshit game Porsche Unleashed is these days but yeah.

Of course, its 11 years old. But I bet if you strip down any other modern NFS game to the same graphics then Porsche Unleashed would be the better game in every way.

I don't understand the hype about Porsche... it was a decent game, but Shift beats it by far. Especially with things like car selection and racing. I'm no great fan of Porsche cars, as I don't like German cars - they look even worse then their women. Besides the "factory driver" campaign was thin as american lager.

And about Run, if the single player campaign would be longer I'd consider playing it, but 3 hours is too short even for me.

I guess I was the only one that enjoyed Hot Pursuit?

I loved Hot Pursuit, although I wasn't a big fan of the cops/racers stuff. I just enjoyed the racing or technical challenges without any gadgets. Shuffling to that Benny Benassi track and hitting the coastal route in a Lamborghini, all in nVidia surround with a G27: absolute bliss.

There's nothing in The Run that competes.

Anyone play this with a racing wheel? I assume it has 30Hz input as well. Do you feel any sort of input lag or lack of response when attempting to correct a spin?

Physics are most likely calculated at 30Hz as well, I'm assuming?

Anyone play this with a racing wheel? I assume it has 30Hz input as well. Do you feel any sort of input lag or lack of response when attempting to correct a spin?

Physics are most likely calculated at 30Hz as well, I'm assuming?

No idea on input, but physics in most titles are calculated on a fixed timestep independent of the framerate, I am sure NFS The Run would be doing it at a much shorter interval than 33ms/step :).

I don't understand the hype about Porsche... it was a decent game, but Shift beats it by far. Especially with things like car selection and racing. I'm no great fan of Porsche cars, as I don't like German cars - they look even worse then their women. Besides the "factory driver" campaign was thin as american lager.

I ended up getting about 50 hours out of it. I am not even really a Porsche fan, I just like a well made game. Races, cop chases, etc. It was like the BF2 of the series, everything after was shallow and relied on graphics and other tensile. Porsche Unleashed actually had physics, not like cars driving on rails. I was better at emulating proper physics when I played with Hot Wheels toys at age 4.

Last edited:
YAY!

Patch today... new cars, removed 30 fps cap!!

http://www.needforspeed.com/post/need-speed-run-pc-patch-available-now-and-it-comes-special-bonus

ANNOUNCING THE ITALIAN EDITION PACK FOR NEED FOR SPEED THE RUN! A Supercar That's Ready To Dominate!Submitted by NFSDrew on Tue, 2012-01-31 08:07

It's been a long time in the making but today we're very happy to say that Need for Speed The Run patch is now available. Here are some highlights of the updates in the patch, but for a full list visit the Need for Speed "Downloads" page:

- 30 FPS cap is disabled when v-sync is set to OFF in advanced display settings
- Tweaked reset behavior for a number of tracks in The Run where resets seemed too close to the main race route
- When players go off track, they will be reset back onto the track instead of at the last checkpoint. Crashes will still result in a reset to the last checkpoint.
- Added Quick Match option from multiplayer menu
– Players now have the option to mute VOIP of other players in multiplayer sessions
– Reduced unrealistic behaviors when multiplayer opponents drive off-road or collide with world objects
- Autolog Friends now displays whether a friend is online, joinable or offline in player badge

Steady 120 FPS now in the run... much better... fun game, worth $20. too bad it took so long to unlock the FPS cap.

@88 No you are damn right. Porsche 2000 has to be the most overrated Need For Speed on this forum. All it did compared to NFS4 is introduce Porsche skins only and make all cars mega slow until you complete the retro stage. Also a tight timer gave you false impression this game is harder / realistic to drive. Reminds me of "Driver" on PC which took so many tries to complete a mission in given time. Here is what you need to know about Porsche Unleashed:
porscheturboevolution.jpg

How is the sound in the game? I was disappointed with the muted engine sounds from the NFS Hot Pursuit that was released last year.

Thanks to a forum poster I was made aware of this patch and framerate uncapping finally.

It's working well on 7970 CFX in Eyefinity right now, averaging 70 FPS at 5760x1200 max settings.

Will be using this game in the next evaluation.

YAY!

Patch today... new cars, removed 30 fps cap!!

http://www.needforspeed.com/post/need-speed-run-pc-patch-available-now-and-it-comes-special-bonus

ANNOUNCING THE ITALIAN EDITION PACK FOR NEED FOR SPEED THE RUN! A Supercar That's Ready To Dominate!Submitted by NFSDrew on Tue, 2012-01-31 08:07

It's been a long time in the making but today we're very happy to say that Need for Speed The Run patch is now available. Here are some highlights of the updates in the patch, but for a full list visit the Need for Speed "Downloads" page:

- 30 FPS cap is disabled when v-sync is set to OFF in advanced display settings
- Tweaked reset behavior for a number of tracks in The Run where resets seemed too close to the main race route
- When players go off track, they will be reset back onto the track instead of at the last checkpoint. Crashes will still result in a reset to the last checkpoint.
- Added Quick Match option from multiplayer menu
– Players now have the option to mute VOIP of other players in multiplayer sessions
– Reduced unrealistic behaviors when multiplayer opponents drive off-road or collide with world objects
- Autolog Friends now displays whether a friend is online, joinable or offline in player badge

Woot, nice... just got the patch through Origin, I had been waiting on the FPS uncapping before playing :D!

With the GeForce 295.51 drivers and this patch I'm getting about 38 FPS at 5760×1080 with all in game settings maxed out.

After the aborted fetus that was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit I pretty much swore off the series. Oh the game was fun when it ran, but that didn't happen very often. I definitely failed to get my money's worth out of that one. And I really tried to deal with it's issues. Their PC ports of the series are absolute trash. Anything past Need for Speed Most Wanted is pretty much shit. Crashing on quad cores, (crashing in general) no AA settings, autolog problems, game not saving issues, and other problems are why this series needs to fucking die or at least, be taken away from EA.

Thanks to a forum poster I was made aware of this patch and framerate uncapping finally.

It's working well on 7970 CFX in Eyefinity right now, averaging 70 FPS at 5760x1200 max settings.

Will be using this game in the next evaluation.

Wow, that's amazing. I'm only getting about 38 FPS with 3 580s though I thought the game ran great with the 30 FPS.

So yea I want to buy this game but only if the engine sounds are meaty unlike in Hot Pursuit where they sound weak. :confused:

After the aborted fetus that was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit I pretty much swore off the series. Oh the game was fun when it ran, but that didn't happen very often. I definitely failed to get my money's worth out of that one. And I really tried to deal with it's issues. Their PC ports of the series are absolute trash. Anything past Need for Speed Most Wanted is pretty much shit. Crashing on quad cores, (crashing in general) no AA settings, autolog problems, game not saving issues, and other problems are why this series needs to fucking die or at least, be taken away from EA.
I had major issues with Autolog in NFS:HP (it never seemed to want to stay connected), but other than that, it ran perfectly fine for me. Although, the rubberbanding AI in the NFS games never seems to improve -- "let's just make up for poor AI by letting it cheat in the most blatant ways possible", but that seems to be an issue with many racing games. And can we please update the damage modeling? It looks the same as it ever did and not particularly realistic at that.

I have NFS:U, U2, MW, C, and HP. Didn't bother with NFS: The Run though -- the series just seems tapped out at this point and it pretty much just boils down to releasing a new game every year just for the sake of doing it. The game ended up being a commercial flop in terms of sales compared to HP, so I guess even the NFS fanbase can only take so much. There aren't many alternatives though. There are the Codemasters games, but they offer minimal car customization.

I had major issues with Autolog in NFS:HP (it never seemed to want to stay connected), but other than that, it ran perfectly fine for me. Although, the rubberbanding AI in the NFS games never seems to improve -- "let's just make up for poor AI by letting it cheat in the most blatant ways possible", but that seems to be an issue with many racing games. And can we please update the damage modeling? It looks the same as it ever did and not particularly realistic at that.

I have NFS:U, U2, MW, C, and HP. Didn't bother with NFS: The Run though -- the series just seems tapped out at this point and it pretty much just boils down to releasing a new game every year just for the sake of doing it. The game ended up being a commercial flop in terms of sales compared to HP, so I guess even the NFS fanbase can only take so much. There aren't many alternatives though. There are the Codemasters games, but they offer minimal car customization.

Sometimes I wish MS would just release the Forza Motosport series to PC... I truly enjoy Forza 3 & 4.

The game is excellent... especially when you get the vegas... it's like NFS most wanted mixed with hot pursuit

@88 No you are damn right. Porsche 2000 has to be the most overrated Need For Speed on this forum. All it did compared to NFS4 is introduce Porsche skins only and make all cars mega slow until you complete the retro stage. Also a tight timer gave you false impression this game is harder / realistic to drive. Reminds me of "Driver" on PC which took so many tries to complete a mission in given time. Here is what you need to know about Porsche Unleashed:

Jeremy Clarkson, is that you?

first time playing online, now that the patch came out.

is it really true you can't mute all the dumb kids blasting music over the voice system?

Back