Need for Speed: The Run Sucks

^ No, no hope.

Article is up on the main page.

Spot on..Have you guys tried contacting the developers??I agree,when you do this type of shit,why even bother releasing it for PC?
Now I see why they didnt do a demo..I would NEVER have bought this shit if I knew it was capped!!

The game is awful. It runs like ass on a G27 and I ended up playing on a 360 pad instead, which it's clearly designed for.

BTW, If you're unlucky enough to have pre-ordered this on Origin in Europe then you can unlock it with a Korean VPN as it launched there yesterday around 3pm GMT.

@ #2 High Five! Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 \o/

http://youtu.be/6kiQwmE9ols

@ #5 Of course there are driving games where the keyboard don't suck. Need For Speed 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 & 8, Live For Speed, Volvo racing game, Carmageddon, Road Rash.........etc.

Driving games on a PC are always horrible with a keyboard, at the very least plug a gamepad into your pc for that.

Reasons like these that I always buy driving games on ps3. I'd like to see how it works on console.

It's tough to find a racing game that isn't plagued with consolitis. Sucks because I really would like to take advantage of Eyefinity now that I finally have it.

Just curious, read the article on the main page...

How is the actual gameplay?

I can live with the graphics restrictions as long as the gameplay delivers.

Doesn't surprise me at all, Rage confirmed every fear we had deep down and then some.

This has had "shovelware" written all over it since its reveal at this year's E3. I'm surprised anybody bothered to buy this.

Black box needs to throw in the towel on making nfs games. Why waste time and resources on a half baked story. The gameplay itself is not bad, i am really enjoying the multiplayer but the joke of a story should not be in the game. Focus more on using the pc to it's full potential (30fps cap, antialiasing for starters) instead of a story. Test drive unlimited 2 did the same thing. Criterion got it spot on with the outstanding Hot Pursuit. All in all the Run is a good game minus the campaign.

Eurogamer has also no good words fr console version. Even there it's considered as utter crap. So I believe shitty games are shitty no matter on the platform. Even if it was pure PC, Run would suck either way;)

Official NFS: The Run Sucks Thread.

I am highly dissapointed in this game. Consolitis game mechanics ruin yet another game.

I'm glad the term Consolitis is gaining so much traction amongst people who are in a position to really publicly talk about this problem.

I'm glad the term Consolitis is gaining so much traction amongst people who are in a position to really publicly talk about this problem.

Indeed but I still see this HUGE gulf of expanse between those people and actually getting developers to give a damn.

There are driving games where the keyboard controls don't suck? In all of the driving games I've ever played, the keyboard controls were vastly inferior to the analog sticks on a gamepad such as the XBox360 controller. I would never bother playing a driving game with just a keyboard and mouse.

Exactly. Who plays a racing game with a KB/Mouse

I'm a little saddened by this game as I really thought the premise could be very cool.
However, the NFS series is all about inconsistency. When the Hot Pursuit redux and Shift 2 both ended up being pretty solid, you have to know that this one would likely drop off.
I'll hope for some patches and a Steam/Origin sale in the future...but based upon what I'm seeing I'll probably skip it.

back when Live For Speed S1 was the game to play, the fastest lap record in the GTI cars was held by a keyboard player. Also don't be stupid, good games allow the mouse to be used as analog device to steer. This why it was ridiculously funny when Need For Speed Shift 1 came out with a patch introducing new revolutionary feature called mouse support. And no you can't steer with it, you can use it to browse through the menu hahaha

Quote:
This patch adds two new features: LAN (Local Area Network) play, enhancing the multiplayer experience and Mouse Support, providing full menu navigation through the game using your PC mouse.

Guess I have lowered expectations nowadays but I'm enjoying it. Lack of anti-aliasing is apparent at times but otherwise it's not too bad. 30fps cap has not affected me-- I just set everything to max and started playing. Years ago, I surrendered and bought an Xbox 360 controller for PC games. I hated to do it, but they have universal adoption and begrudingly work great.

Has anyone playing the game ever played Split/Second before? It's also capped at 30FPS, but actually looks and plays pretty well.
Is NFS: The Run along those lines, or much worse?

I played Split/Second last year and really enjoyed it until it became unbelievably hard. Once the helicopter began showing up it was all but impossible.

Oh godamit, I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Was looking forward to this game.

I guess I'll keep my money on this one.

btw, using keyboard/mouse for driving games. SERIOUSLY? WTF?

After playing the game over the weekend and completing story mode as well as tackling a bunch of the challenge events I'm going to do a complete 180 on my earlier post.

I have to say I think the run ranks very high as an arcade racer. The handling is great, game play is great, graphics are awesome. Sure it would be nice if ea/black box would patch the 30fps/anti aliasing issues as well as a few other bugs. I even got into the story mode, it does feel like your in a race across the country, and the fact that your run time takes approx 2 hours doesn't hurt the game. There is allot of other content in the challenge events (similar to the main events in hot pursuit) and the on-line racing.

There is no doubt i will return to seacrest county now and again but for now the run is my number 1 racer.

If you've been on the fence about getting this game after reading the negative reviews/comments don't be. I would recommend getting the run. The story mode was my main big drawback of the game. Once you give it some time it grows on you, the entire game does.....get it.

While, I generally like The Run I HATE the scripted events like running from the cops on foot and evading the dog. No surprise, this is just like BF3 which uses the same engine. If I wanted to play some scripted shit where all I do is hit a random button every now and then, I could play a thirty year-old copy of Dragon's Lair.

I probably, if I had hardware to run it on, not end up buying this because I remember playing underground and having customizable cars. From what I read that doesn't exist in this game. Not that I am into body kits, awful looking graphics etc. But I like for a car to stick around longer than when the specs on it are too slow.

How do you play a racing game @ 30 FPS? I can't even imagine how awful that would be. I'm already suffering through LA Noire @ 30 FPS.

Yea 30 FPS for a racing game would annoy the crap out of me....

Believe it or not, it plays surprisingly smooth. My biggest gripe, though, is the freakin' cops which can catch you and pull alongside at 180 mph even though you passed them sitting still! :mad:

Believe it or not, it plays surprisingly smooth. My biggest gripe, though, is the freakin' cops which can catch you and pull alongside at 180 mph even though you passed them sitting still! :mad:

That always bothered me about the NFS series, they should have the cops go at realistic speeds...

i played and finished the run. i enjoyed it, and i love car games.

i wanted to sell it now, i have the best buy copy. but i remember activating it. is it true i can't sell it now, since i activated it? I don't want to rip anyone off, but i'm done with the game.

Do you need Origin to run this game or you can run it without Origin?

No AA is very disappointing, and I hate capped FPS on a game and no thanks, I never really liked Need For Speed and another thing is I don't need another shitty console port on my PC.

No AA is very disappointing, and I hate capped FPS on a game and no thanks, I never really liked Need For Speed and another thing is I don't need another shitty console port on my PC.

Then dont even bother installing it.

Finished the Run. My thoughts are it is a solid arcade racer worth 7/10 or 7.5/10 score. Gameplay is fantastic even with the 30 fps cap. I never felt that my sense of speed was being compromised and/or fps were too slow to not have a smooth gaming experience. It worked surprisingly well. Yes, 60 fps lock would've been better but once you turn off fraps, game just feels smooth since there are no fps dips all over the game.

Graphics are top notch for a racer, cars are fantastic, environments truly are breathtaking and mix of rain, snow, sand/fog, and dirt/leaves flying around looks super cool. Environments alone are worth the price of admission. Funnily enough the faces look fantastic as well and main characters are modelled very well.

Gameplay is top notch, love the car shifting sides and the constant pressure of police, beating the clock, running away from an avalanche or gun fire. I am a huge action buff and it has all the right elements. Despite being heavily scripted I even enjoyed the last level of the game. You feel like a bad ass and that is what matters in this game.

Storyline is trash. You don't even need to think about it.

Sound is also top notch, cars and environment effects are all very cool. Some of the music is questionable but the core themes are pump adrenaline e.g. for beating the clock or running away from police.

Final thoughts, for the 20 bucks I paid for it, it is a fantastic game. I will now move onto the challenge series and will continue to come back for my arcade racing fill. Plus I have shit metric ton of stuff still to unlock. Btw, MP is also decent apart from the cars flying under the road or over the road at times (which is a glitch) but the races themselves are quite entertaining like in Hot Pursuit.

P.S. I actually feel that aliasing is less compared to NFS HP on this game. Car edges noticeably feel quite smooth even with AA off (probably due to post processing).

I guess the trailer directed by Michael Bay didn't clue you into the possible shitty out come of this game?

I enjoyed the last NFS quite a bit but this one just looked like total ass.

Finished the Run. My thoughts are it is a solid arcade racer worth 7/10 or 7.5/10 score. Gameplay is fantastic even with the 30 fps cap. I never felt that my sense of speed was being compromised and/or fps were too slow to not have a smooth gaming experience. It worked surprisingly well. Yes, 60 fps lock would've been better but once you turn off fraps, game just feels smooth since there are no fps dips all over the game.

Graphics are top notch for a racer, cars are fantastic, environments truly are breathtaking and mix of rain, snow, sand/fog, and dirt/leaves flying around looks super cool. Environments alone are worth the price of admission. Funnily enough the faces look fantastic as well and main characters are modelled very well.

Gameplay is top notch, love the car shifting sides and the constant pressure of police, beating the clock, running away from an avalanche or gun fire. I am a huge action buff and it has all the right elements. Despite being heavily scripted I even enjoyed the last level of the game. You feel like a bad ass and that is what matters in this game.

Storyline is trash. You don't even need to think about it.

Sound is also top notch, cars and environment effects are all very cool. Some of the music is questionable but the core themes are pump adrenaline e.g. for beating the clock or running away from police.

Final thoughts, for the 20 bucks I paid for it, it is a fantastic game. I will now move onto the challenge series and will continue to come back for my arcade racing fill. Plus I have shit metric ton of stuff still to unlock. Btw, MP is also decent apart from the cars flying under the road or over the road at times (which is a glitch) but the races themselves are quite entertaining like in Hot Pursuit.

P.S. I actually feel that aliasing is less compared to NFS HP on this game. Car edges noticeably feel quite smooth even with AA off (probably due to post processing).

Nice review! I picked it up for $19.99 too, played a bit, thought it was really fun. Waiting to see if they patch the FPS cap out like they said they might. Batman DX11 is busted... so while waiting for the new games to get fixed I've been playing BF3 and patiently waiting to get into this and Batman. I want to play them "the way they were meant to be played."

If it wasn't for gamepads sucking balls for FPS games....I would take a very hard look at dropping PC as my gaming platform. It is sad that so many games that have such great potential are getting put through the crapper for the PC.

Do the control suck even with a wheel/pedal combo?

You know what I cannot understand... Why hasn't someone built a gamepad with a frickin track ball on it ? Back in the late 90s, I was using a Mad Katz Panther XL - a giant joystick with a track ball. Phenomenal piece of equipment for precision movement in a FPS. Only problem was the thing was massive.

Why not take a typical gamepad and replace one of the analog sticks with a small track ball for looking around, exactly like you use a mouse in a PC game ? The other thought I had was to make a composite gamepad where you could swap parts. For one game you put on an analog stick, for another, put on the track ball.

This seems - to me - to be self evident, and yet, nothing. If I had the time and inclination, I would build one myself, but, alas, I don't have enough of either.

Last edited:
Back