Need For Speed PC delayed till 2016 to unlock frame rate

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
If that's what it takes, good.
Console versions will still be locked to 30 and still release in November.
The "content updates" doesn't sound like any DLC, probably just patches or anything free released to that point.

“Part of the conversation includes hearing from our PC community that an unlocked frame rate in Need for Speed is a massive priority for you, and we fully agree. To deliver this, we’ve made the decision to move the PC release date to Spring 2016.

“… This decision on PC gives us the necessary development time to increase the visuals that we can deliver on PC. We will also include content updates that will have been released on console up to that time, making them available to all PC players from day one.”
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/14/need-for-speed-pc-delay/

I can't help but read this as "delayed so we can spend more than a few days porting it."
I'd call it bittersweet. I'd rather have a better port, but it's still really lame that they have to push the game back to achieve that. Oh well.

Yeah, its EA, hard to take anything they say seriously... At least they said something this time, instead of just ignoring the problem like they did with Rivals.

The question why they didn't know/plan for this from the get-go boggles the mind. Have to wonder if there's some other excuse going on here.

Just an excuse for prioritizing the console launch. Still an improvement but yeah. Bit of a limp dick approach.

The question why they didn't know/plan for this from the get-go boggles the mind. Have to wonder if there's some other excuse going on here.

Well WB Games was evidently unaware of that and sure didn't plan for uncapped frame rates with Arkham Knight.

I can't help but read this as "delayed so we can spend more than a few days porting it."
I'd call it bittersweet. I'd rather have a better port, but it's still really lame that they have to push the game back to achieve that. Oh well.

Yep... but the uncap framerate excuse is lame.

That should be as simple as selecting a single option before building.

No if they have to implement vsync or whatever.. that may take a few more days.

There has to be more to it than just uncapping the framerate.

I agree. However, quite a few companies have seemed quite content to just dump things on the PC with no real improvements. So, while I agree these features should be a given, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they're now a "bonus".

I'm a fan of NFS. I'm more an arcade racer player than a simulator player (for the most part anyway,) and the NFS games have always delivered more or less. However, if they put this on the PC with a 30fps limit, NOTHING would get me to buy/play it. Not even a sale price of $2. I like my racing fast and smooth. So, even if their reasoning is lame, I'm glad they're doing it. More likely this is just what they thought would appeal to PC players as a reason, and really just need to fix some bugs, do more compatibility testing, etc.

Either way, I'm glad they're doing it.

I actually need to look into this game more, as I haven't been following it (other than noticing when it was announced.) I'd love to see more tracks like the earlier games. Long winding road courses and less city-block circuits. (though I do like some city racing too) Off to check it out more.

Edit: Well, if the videos are any indication, there appears to be a mixture of both types of course. Looks good provided the PC version is what they say it will be. I also like the inclusion of older Porsches having owned several myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, seems like Arkham Knight might really be milestone in PC gaming. As it taught the publishers not to release games like it anymore :)

Good, the last Need for Speed game was an disaster on PC. I might even buy this, after the reviews are in of course.

I see this as an excuse to delay the PC release due to "piracy concerns." Which they are always worried about. Too bad they only punish the paying customers. Or they think that if they do this then people will be in less of an uproar when next time they bring the game right to market without unlocking the fps. If the whole game is written around being locked at 30fps then yes, rewriting everything can take a while. There would be no reason to do this however other than to spend more money on having to rewrite ALL the physics coding again. 16 and 8 bit era console games were written in this manner. It should no longer be standard practice.

I hope it is better than Rivals and doesn't have always online horse shit. Rivals was completely destroyed by that implementation.

I never had any issues with Rivals once people discovered the FPS unlock command line.
The always-on thing never bugged me as I enjoyed screwing around with random drivers. It added an element of chaos. I'm sure it was DRM-related, but at least it added something to the game.

Always online vs. online on someone's server is what I found appalling. It really sucked when server migration failed and you lost all the points you had captured just because some chump left the server and was the host. I had almost a 20-30% chance of server migration failing meaning I was always worried that my progress won't be saved. Couple that with bugs such as slipping through the track into limbo, getting stuck etc and Rivals was really a very poor game.

The driving was enjoyable but the always online on someone's server match making bullshit is what put me off of it and I never completed it which makes it the only NFS game that I never finished.

Weird. I never had any issues with the game. I only had the host drop out twice and it was pretty early on. Guess I got lucky.

It wasn't the best in the series by any stretch, but I liked it. The 2005 version of Most Wanted is probably the best of the "recent" ones (I use that term pretty liberally since it was a decade ago), but the last few have been passable games that usually suffered from being bad ports.

The delay for releasing GTA V was worth it in the end, here's hoping it's the same with this game....

Need for Speed has been confirmed to launch for PC on March 15. The trailer promises unlocked framerate as in the OP, resolutions up to and including 4K, built-in support for multiple steering wheels, and...

Manual transmission! :D

Looks good. Might be the first decent PC port of a NFS title in awhile. Would be even better if they added a cockpit view.

http://www.needforspeed.com/news/pc-release-date

Haha, that trailer brought back the original Underground memories even though the game is really nothing like it. Still looks like a fun, proper PC version.

I'm surprised they didn't include the one feature everyone wanted, though: skippable cutscenes :p

I'd love for this to be awesome...been jonesing for a decent NFS-like game for awhile now. Not into sims but I loved some of the earlier NFS games and stuff like Midnight Club.

Haha, that trailer brought back the original Underground memories even though the game is really nothing like it. Still looks like a fun, proper PC version.

I'm surprised they didn't include the one feature everyone wanted, though: skippable cutscenes :p
God, yes, that pisses me off to no end. I guess they spent too much money on the "quality" acting and production value for people to go around skipping them :p.

I tried playing this on the Xbox one and I want my 28 bucks back. The game is just not worth my time and drifting sucks cock.

I think it's a matter of "once you go 60+ FPS it's hard if not impossible to go back."
That might be why so few console games actually do. Even the ones that could. It sets a tough expectation.
GLQuake running at 22 FPS was breathtaking back in the PS1 era.

Speak for yourself.
NFS3 was 60fps on my Diamond Monster 3D II (3dfx Voodoo2).
Well the NFS collection for PC came out at the time I was old enough and able to afford a decent PC, so I was able to experience those games with a steering wheel and everything on a GeForce Ti4200 at a glorious 60 FPS. But we all work with what we have, and when NFS3 came out my family was pretty much living paycheck to paycheck.

So yes, I was speaking for myself ;).

How can you even play a racing game at 30fps?

I must be a unicorn or something because I've never had issues with playing certain games at 30 FPS. I rarely even notice it on consoles since I generally play at a distance of 9ft+ vs 1-2 feet. If it consistently hits 30FPS, it is OK and often better than if it jumps between 30-60 all the time.

As for this game, I think I got my moneys worth. (~$25 or so). The cutscenes are just cringeworthy, but you can skip a lot of them. I think it's only the "main" story cutscenes you can't skip. The racing isn't amazing, but it's not really all that bad either. Just remember that grip is shit in this game, so never get grip tires or tune for it. The customization is pretty good as long as you aren't trying it on the more expensive cars later on (they have no customization or barely any). I still prefer NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, but this one wasn't terrible.

Need For Speed – Official PC System Requirements Revealed.
Need For Speed – Official PC System Requirements Revealed | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

Need For Speed – Official PC System Requirements:

Minimum Requirements for 720p30 at low settings:

• Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 or equivalent with 4 hardware threads
  • Memory: 6GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB, AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB, or equivalent DX11 compatible GPU with 2GB of memory
  • Hard Drive: 30 GB free space

Recommended Requirements for 1080p60 at high settings:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 or equivalent with 4 hardware threads
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB, AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB, or equivalent DX11 compatible GPU with 4GB of memory
  • Hard Drive: 30 GB free space
Supported Wheels

• Logitech G27
  • Logitech G29
  • Logitech G920
  • Thrustmaster TX
  • Thrustmaster T150
  • Thrustmaster T300
  • Thrustmaster T500
  • Fanatec CSR

Might take a look at this one, it's been a while since I last enjoyed an NFS game (Hot Pursuit 2010 and Shift 2 were the last). I tried Most Wanted 2012, installed it, but it wouldn't let me remap to my old gamepad so I gave up after 5 minutes, might try that again with my Steam controller.

Back