Need for Speed Payback Video Card Performance Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Need for Speed Payback Video Card Performance Review

Need for Speed Payback is out, we’ll look at feature performance and video card performance comparisons in today’s latest video cards. We’ll find what’s playable, and examine graphics quality setting performance among eight video cards. We will also find out VRAM and CPU usage of this new game so you pick the right video card for gaming.

I remember when NFS and NFS2 were more of a sim, but sadly that ended when NFS2SE came out. NFS2 SE was one of the best games graphically in the early days of 3d acceleration but they started putting in fantasy tracks with crazy jumps, fire balls and all that. Then came the whole hot pursuit thing with nfs3 that took away any realism it had left. I think the last one I tried that was decent was the Porsche special edition as they tried going back to their sim roots to a degree. This one doesn't even look remotely interesting to me, but luckily there are plenty of alternatives out there.

I remember when NFS and NFS2 were more of a sim, but sadly that ended when NFS2SE came out. NFS2 SE was one of the best games graphically in the early days of 3d acceleration but they started putting in fantasy tracks with crazy jumps, fire balls and all that. Then came the whole hot pursuit thing with nfs3 that took away any realism it had left. I think the last one I tried that was decent was the Porsche special edition as they tried going back to their sim roots to a degree. This one doesn't even look remotely interesting to me, but luckily there are plenty of alternatives out there.
Shift and Shift 2 were both more simulation focused than the other titles. And I think they reviewed well also.

Kyle, you guys continue to make bold claims about how much vRam is needed.
I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to make the point that the amount of vRam used is OFTEN not the amount needed.

We have seen a lot of games that "use" a crap load of vRam, but see no penalty in comparing gpus like a 4 GB rx 580 to an 8 GB rx 480.

The only exception I have seen where 4 GB of vRam is truly a bottleneck is Wolfenstein 2. That was on the "mein" setting and here you want to say that 8 GB is the BARE MINIMUM for 4k.

It would be nice to see how the FuryX would do in this game vs the GTX 980ti, especially at higher resolutions.

From the article:

"This shows that number one the game utilizes all cores and threads. It also shows that at lower settings, in more CPU dependent scenarios you may be close to maxing out a 4C/8T CPU! Could a 6-core or 8-core CPU potentially provide better performance in this game? It’s entirely plausible."

That last line is what piqued my interest, but considering this game is part of the lootbox fallout, and probably doesn't have many fans(low sales), I understand not wanting/needing to go back to it.

I can't believe that racing wheel support is missing in Payback. I really hope they add it back in a future patch. It's is really pretty in 4K tho.

Kyle, you guys continue to make bold claims about how much vRam is needed.
I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to make the point that the amount of vRam used is OFTEN not the amount needed.

We have seen a lot of games that "use" a crap load of vRam, but see no penalty in comparing gpus like a 4 GB rx 580 to an 8 GB rx 480.

The only exception I have seen where 4 GB of vRam is truly a bottleneck is Wolfenstein 2. That was on the "mein" setting and here you want to say that 8 GB is the BARE MINIMUM for 4k.

It would be nice to see how the FuryX would do in this game vs the GTX 980ti, especially at higher resolutions.
OK. Then put no worth into our evaluations of the RAM.

Let me know when you get all your testing done, I would love to give it a read.

Does a Chef say "let me see you cook it better" when a steak is overcooked?
Does a Mechanic say "let me see you fix it better" when a new bearing is making noise?

Why do I have to do your trade when I was giving fair criticism? Not even criticism, but more of a question.

You know damn well that I am not going to do these tests, so don't you think that is coming off as condescending?!

Does a Chef say "let me see you cook it better" when a steak is overcooked?
Does a Mechanic say "let me see you fix it better" when a new bearing is making noise?

Why do I have to do your trade when I was giving fair criticism? Not even criticism, but more of a question.

You know damn well that I am not going to do these tests, so don't you think that is coming off as condescending?!
Sounds like you need to be dining at a different restaurant?

Or if you have a better recipe, serve it up? Because baselessly telling me mine sucks is not worth much to me.

So... Put up or shut up.

I will be on the edge of my seat till you show up with something more than empty criticism because you think you know better.

And if you feel like you are be talked down to, I would suggest you show up with some proof to give you the high ground.

Now are you going to whine some more or prove your statements correct? Because unlike you, we have done the work.

And if you have a question, I suggest you use the proper punctuation in the future.

More constructively: is there a way to limit VRAM usage?

If you wanted to test, is there a way to do it?

Well, let me punch myself in the face for overlooking the obvious :ROFLMAO:

What I was looking for is if there was a way to do it without changing game settings, i.e., like a framerate limiter. I figured if there was such a thing, you'd be in the know brother :)
I wish I was smart enough to figure out how to impact that and what you are looking for....but I am not. VRAM is a fairly static thing in the way it loads up through the level. For your resolution and texture settings, is really the big deal nowadays with larger monitors and "4K packs."

Back