Need for Speed Payback Nov. 10 PS4, PC, XB1

Skeptical...I've read several accounts of microtransactions and online bullshit already.

Need For Speed hasn't been good since the second Hot Pursuit in 2010. I bought the 2015 NFS on a steep discount from Origin, and I feel like I got ripped off...game is garbage. Should have refunded it probably.

Here's an EA mouthpiece shilling the "benefits" of loot boxes, microtransactions and online-only:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-worlds-loot-boxes-benefits-of-online-w510737

Thanks for the cold water and bringing me back to reality a bit here. ;)

Thanks for the cold water and bringing me back to reality a bit here. ;)

Hey, not trying to rain on anyone's parade in particular...I just loved the NFS games in the past and it's a huge shame what has happened to them.

Unfortunately, I can rarely trust EA titles to not have a bunch of BS like this anymore. They have pretty consistently shown that they will shove as much of this crap in as they possibly can.

Just remember that EA never has, and never will, have any idea how to build an online community.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Hey, not trying to rain on anyone's parade in particular...I just loved the NFS games in the past and it's a huge shame what has happened to them.

Unfortunately, I can rarely trust EA titles to not have a bunch of BS like this anymore. They have pretty consistently shown that they will shove as much of this crap in as they possibly can.
Well when you consider the article posted about how much money Ubisoft has made off micro transactions, it just makes sense. Were you making the decision, you'd probably shed a tear for the memory of a once great franchise and then give the order to proceed.

Well when you consider the article posted about how much money Ubisoft has made off micro transactions, it just makes sense. Were you making the decision, you'd probably shed a tear for the memory of a once great franchise and then give the order to proceed.

If I was a soulless corporate executive...probably. But since I'm not, I just won't be purchasing games with that nonsense. Wish others would do the same, I hear a lot of people complain about microtransactions but still buy the games.

https://www.geek.com/games/need-for...hose-who-want-a-new-burnout-paradise-1721847/

Mostly sold right there.

Just that alone stopped me dead in my tracks and put this game on my radar. Read the rest of it, too. ;)

Just that alone stopped me dead in my tracks and could erase this game from my radar.

But after reading further, criterion has nothing to do with this (thankfully) ghost games did a solid job with The Run, so either the writer is lying or doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Or they did a complete 180 and started producing crap.

like this
I don't base everything off reviews but these certainly are quite telling and hard to whitewash and minimize.

Ah well...so much for that.

Yeah, I don't either, but the common thread seems to be that there is a ton of RNG and grinding to get car upgrades, which sounds terrible.

like this
None of the rng/grinding/lootboxes is a big deal to me.
Picking it up this weekend. I'm a diehard fanboi of the series and realllly enjoyed nfs 2015.

Picking it up this weekend. I'm a diehard fanboi of the series and realllly enjoyed nfs 2015.
Generally they don't bug me either. NFS Underground had a rather linear progression of unlocking things as you played more. I see loot boxes as essentially the same thing, but perhaps with the chance of getting a really good unlock sooner due to rng. That is, of course, if it's implemented this way. Unfortunately it's all too common to design the system with shitty rng in hopes of people spending money.

Generally they don't bug me either. NFS Underground had a rather linear progression of unlocking things as you played more. I see loot boxes as essentially the same thing, but perhaps with the chance of getting a really good unlock sooner due to rng. That is, of course, if it's implemented this way. Unfortunately it's all too common to design the system with shitty rng in hopes of people spending money.

Yeah, if you are constantly getting useful items, loot boxes are not necessarily a bad thing. But when you constantly get trash and they start pushing microtransations for them, that is when it becomes a serious problem.

Then again, to continually get useful items you could just, you know, make your game have a traditional progression system in the first place without unnecessary RNG. But that doesn't fit into the corporate microtransation model.

IGN's review makes it sound a whole lot like Underground 2 and Carbon.

Personally, I just want some more games like Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. All 4 of them. Rivals wasn't a bad game, too.
Hell, they could probably just rip off The Crew and make it better (and less whiny about buying DLC) and I'd bite. Hopefully the series will hit stride again in a couple years. It's been dead and gone and has recovered before.

A new Burnout game or even a spiritual successor would make the world a better place. I know the old devs are working on a crash mode game, but that's only a fraction of what made Burnout great. Revenge might be the best arcade racer of all time. We need someone to make a new one.

like this
Burnout Paradise is in the tags? Pourquoi?
IGN's review makes it sound a whole lot like Underground 2 and Carbon.

Personally, I just want some more games like Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. All 4 of them. Rivals wasn't a bad game, too.
Hell, they could probably just rip off The Crew and make it better (and less whiny about buying DLC) and I'd bite. Hopefully the series will hit stride again in a couple years. It's been dead and gone and has recovered before.

A new Burnout game or even a spiritual successor would make the world a better place. I know the old devs are working on a crash mode game, but that's only a fraction of what made Burnout great. Revenge might be the best arcade racer of all time. We need someone to make a new one.
Underground 2 and Carbon are my favorite in that series, so that makes me interested. I'll need to check out some gameplay videos now.

Burnout Paradise is in the tags? Pourquoi?

Because the article I linked to in the OP made that direct reference and I figured using it would draw in more people for potential discussion...come what may. ;)

If there's a way to remove the tags I'll try and do it if people think I should.

The NFS that criterion made was the worst in the series by no small margin. I don't think anything can be worse than that.

Looks like I jinxed myself. My Fanatec CSR is not detected by the game.

Some quick internet searching and I can't figure out if wheels are supported or not. Anyone else get their wheel to work?

Need for Speed stopped being good a decade ago...I think the last one I played was Most Wanted back in 2005

like this
Some of the newer Need for Speed games have actually been good, it's just a total roll of the dice which ones.
Rivals and Hot Pursuit 2 were both good games. Carbon was solid, too. Problem is that they're surrounded by lackluster (sometimes even horrible) sequels.

The series blew its chance for a reboot when normal 'ol "Need for Speed" was just poor man's Underground.
I'm not sure exactly what they can do to truly improve the series besides taking a long break. Even taking a year off didn't help much last time. I'd like them to put the series on ice until the PS5/Xbox4 and then start anew.

RPS pretty much hated it too for whatever that's worth.

like this
Some of the newer Need for Speed games have actually been good, it's just a total roll of the dice which ones.
Rivals and Hot Pursuit 2 were both good games. Carbon was solid, too. Problem is that they're surrounded by lackluster (sometimes even horrible) sequels.

The series blew its chance for a reboot when normal 'ol "Need for Speed" was just poor man's Underground.
I'm not sure exactly what they can do to truly improve the series besides taking a long break. Even taking a year off didn't help much last time. I'd like them to put the series on ice until the PS5/Xbox4 and then start anew.
They really need to stop with the gimmicks and make NFS great again by going back to NFS 1-4 for inspiration.

Need for Speed stopped being good a decade ago...I think the last one I played was Most Wanted back in 2005

Same here. I wrote the series off pretty much after that. I haven't changed my mind.

Sidebar:

Rockstar's Midnight Club series was good. I wouldn't mind another one of those. Same goes for another Burnout Paradise.

Midnight Club 2 was awesome. I never played 3 since it never made it to the PC, but I'd love to see a new one with modern graphics. The gameplay can stay the same. :)

Honestly I think what I miss is a good arcade racer. NFS has not only been moving toward open world/collectible bullshit, but also seems to be trending more and more towards realism. If you want a sim, there are plenty out there, NFS was never about that.

Still no wheel support yet. I played only enough to get past the mandatory and horrible tutorials.

My God...the characters are utterly terrible! The previous NFS (2015) had corny characters, but they weren't that bad. These ones are worthless, and the voice actors are terrible.

This could be the death knell for the series.

They finally added wheel support. I am using a g920 because it's one of two wheels supported. It's very limited in that you can't rebind any of the wheel keys. Better than nothing though. FFB is excellent, just like NFS 2016. Graphics are good, cars look realllly good. I'm enjoying it so far, so much better with a wheel.

The driving parts of the game are pretty fun, but once you pull into the parking lot of the Autozone place, and have to roll the gambling wheel for upgrades, the game starts to suck. Why can I not see a list of parts, and just use the money I earn driving to buy an exhaust system. If I wanna race a level 1 car against level 100 cars, to save my money, why cant I do it? This game is ruined by the upgrade mechanics.

The driving parts of the game are pretty fun, but once you pull into the parking lot of the Autozone place, and have to roll the gambling wheel for upgrades, the game starts to suck. Why can I not see a list of parts, and just use the money I earn driving to buy an exhaust system. If I wanna race a level 1 car against level 100 cars, to save my money, why cant I do it? This game is ruined by the upgrade mechanics.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. But it sneakily is a way to get people to say "fuck it" and buy some points to get more spins. Either way, I've had more than enough tradeins to keep spinning, there's no way I'd ever be tempted to spend more money on the game.

I do like the fact that money is much easier to come by. In NFS 2016, I really like selling and buying new cars, but is was pretty limited since cash flow (at least for me) was an issue later in the game when you want to try out all the expensive exotics, but the best races only give you like 14k.

At what point will they just bite the bullet and just make a new Need for Speed Underground? They've rebooted the series to death, including making a second Most Wanted that had little to do with the original.
Why not go back to the Underground aesthetic? The games were successful critically and commercially. They were a bit corny plot-wise, but what other NFS game (or knock off) hasn't been? I don't care if the tuning stuff was stupid, this isn't GT or Forza we're playing.

Another option is to turn themselves into the new Driver. Ubisoft clearly didn't feel making another one based on what they did with Driver: SF. A new Need for Speed with that sort of urban chase style gameplay could be a ton of fun. The original Most Wanted kinda/sorta went down that road and it was well received.

At what point will they just bite the bullet and just make a new Need for Speed Underground? They've rebooted the series to death, including making a second Most Wanted that had little to do with the original.
Why not go back to the Underground aesthetic? The games were successful critically and commercially. They were a bit corny plot-wise, but what other NFS game (or knock off) hasn't been? I don't care if the tuning stuff was stupid, this isn't GT or Forza we're playing.

Another option is to turn themselves into the new Driver. Ubisoft clearly didn't feel making another one based on what they did with Driver: SF. A new Need for Speed with that sort of urban chase style gameplay could be a ton of fun. The original Most Wanted kinda/sorta went down that road and it was well received.

Look at the way the Fast and Furious movie series went - it went from being street racer themed to all out over the top action bullshit, and that was starting at the 4th movie. The street racer scene is pretty much dead, nobody really cares about it anymore. EA went the same route - ditched the street racer stuff, and started focusing on more action oriented things, which is why Payback has a really cheesy action movie script.

I got hints of NFS Underground in NFS 2016 though.

upload_2018-2-27_16-4-48.png

Back