Need for Speed Heat

polonyc2

Fully [H]
EA Ghost is set to reveal its next Need for Speed installment later today, but details about the racer have supposedly already leaked...Heat is said to have a more serious story in an open-world setting...the game won’t feature a day-night cycle and rainy weather is confirmed to be included...to the delight of many fans, Heat won’t be always-online and can be paused if needed

developer Ghost Games will use Need for Speed Heat as a foundation for all Need for Speed titles in the future with Heat being a fusion between 2015’s Need for Speed and Need for Speed Rivals. ..the graphics of Heat are said to be better than those of Need for Speed Payback and should be on par with 2015’s Need for Speed reboot

Last edited:

Looks like a possible return to the Underground series style of game, which could be good. No gameplay, though, so no way to be sure. But looks like a lot of that "leaked" information was from some dude speculating on screenshots. It is obviously not set in the '80s and there is still day time judging from the trailer. A "darker" story also doesn't mean they're shooting for an 'M' rating.

No doubt this will be laden with loot boxes and microtransaction bullshitery, though. The past 2 years of EA releases has sworn me off of EA games for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
We'll see, I would say I'm highly skeptical of anything good coming back to the NFS franchise while it's with EA. The last entry that had fucking randomized cards for car upgrades was kind of the nail in the coffin for the series as far as I'm concerned.

I played Porsche Unleashed for seven years after it's 00' release. Remake that game damnit.
I'd still occasionally think about playing Test Drive Unlimited. I need nothing more than that game had.

Looks like a possible return to the Underground series style of game, which could be good. No gameplay, though, so no way to be sure. But looks like a lot of that "leaked" information was from some dude speculating on screenshots. It is obviously not set in the '80s and there is still day time judging from the trailer. A "darker" story also doesn't mean they're shooting for an 'M' rating.

Seems more like ProStreet to me. Mixed with some fast and furious bs. I hope they add a 50 mile long runway.

No doubt this will be laden with loot boxes and microtransaction bullshitery, though. The past 2 years of EA releases has sworn me off of EA games for the foreseeable future.
Meanwhile at an EA Board meeting:
Make a rear wing for a car: Costs 2 designers 1 hour of work. We pay them minimum wage anyway so it's $15. Sell it for $2.99. If just 10 toxic gamers buy it we already made 100% profit! But we project selling 10.000 of each item!

Bet it will bet yet another microtransaction filled, "games as a service", half-assed beta, disguised as a full game release like everything else from EA these days. I'm sure it will also be absolute dog shit like the last handful of NFS games.
Couldn't have said it better

I used to buy the NFS games yearly for awhile...I forgot the last one I bought- maybe it was Most Wanted...the series has been surpassed by Forza and even the Dirt series...they need to do a drastic overhaul to get this series back on track

I used to buy the NFS games yearly for awhile...I forgot the last one I bought- maybe it was Most Wanted...the series has been surpassed by Forza and even the Dirt series...they need to do a drastic overhaul to get this series back on track
To me the NFS series ended with Hot Pursuit 2, yes in 2002. That was the last game true to the NFS legacy : No-nonsense street racing with exotic cars. Underground was such a departure from what NFS stood for that I never played it unless some friends "forced" me to.
And I did enjoy Shift2 as a decent arcade track racer, but that's not NFS to me. But the clear low point in the series was most wanted, not the first, but the abomination by criterion. Those guys and vehicle physics have no intersection when put on a venn diagram.

To me the NFS series ended with Hot Pursuit 2, yes in 2002. That was the last game true to the NFS legacy : No-nonsense street racing with exotic cars. Underground was such a departure from what NFS stood for that I never played it unless some friends "forced" me to.
And I did enjoy Shift2 as a decent arcade track racer, but that's not NFS to me. But the clear low point in the series was most wanted, not the first, but the abomination by criterion. Those guys and vehicle physics have no intersection when put on a venn diagram.
Funny because Most Wanted 2005 is considered by many to be the last great NFS game, and it followed the same formula the Underground series established. Personally, I've pretty much enjoyed every NFS up until Criterion took the reins over back in 2010. Criterion should go back to what they do best and make another Burnout game. Their design philosophy doesn't fit NFS at all.

Yeah, I started playing Forza and haven't really looked back at NFS. I think I got one of the newer ones on Origin for like $5 and barely played it, sucked pretty bad. I think it was the 2015 one that was just titled "Need for Speed". I heard Rivals wasn't much better.

I liked Underground for what it was. It was very unlike NFS but was still a really good game on its own. It really should have been its own racing series though. Loved Most Wanted 2005 and enjoyed some aspects of Carbon but the series was clearly losing steam by then. The Criterion games were just not great NFS titles. It never felt like the devs really wanted to make NFS games and it clearly was never what they were skilled at so all the Criterion ones ended up seeming like they were made solely because it was that or have no job.

I legit can't tell this apart from several dozen other racing games on the market. This might be the most generic looking racing game in a long ass time. What a sad state this franchise is in.

I think what differentiates these racing games is the maps and the customization options...

Doesn't look like it's changed much in the last 12 years. I'm sure it'll do fine on the consoles.

It looks like they just went Forza Horizon with the livery editing and avatar customization. My guess is this will still be far more arcade-y, though.

I like the idea of the police chases, I wish Forza had some stuff like that. It's pretty much just pure racing outside of some "tag" type games.

I think Carbon was the one I liked the best. Like, you could morph the cars into all sorts of things.

Some gameplay footage coming out from Gamescom. Played on PS4, it looks like. There is some crazy texture pop-in when the surface gets wet. Otherwise, actually does not look bad. This one is developed by the old series runner Black Box instead of Criterion.

IGN gameplay for the LOLs. Whoever is playing has a hardon for the handbrake.

Not really that impressed with what I'm seeing.

And duh, of course you use the handbrake a lot, because in NFS-land physics that's the only way you can drift around a 90-degree corner at 90 MPH. :rolleyes:

Some gameplay footage coming out from Gamescom. Played on PS4, it looks like. There is some crazy texture pop-in when the surface gets wet. Otherwise, actually does not look bad. This one is developed by the old series runner Black Box instead of Criterion.

IGN gameplay for the LOLs. Whoever is playing has a hardon for the handbrake.

Black Box was shut down in 2013. This is developed by Ghost Games the same devs behind Rivals, 2015, and Payback.

Wow, this game didn't even have native wheel support at launch? Glad I didn't bother with it.

Wow, this game didn't even have native wheel support at launch? Glad I didn't bother with it.
Neither did the last two. Maybe more, but I admittedly have not been paying attention. I don't think any of them have controlled well with a wheel, anyway, since they transitioned to the Underground series.

Neither did the last two. Maybe more, but I admittedly have not been paying attention. I don't think any of them have controlled well with a wheel, anyway, since they transitioned to the Underground series.

That's fair, though it seemed like they were trying to bring the series back around with this one, and compete with Forza Horizon (which does have wheel support, albeit not great support).

I really despise MT but fuck man adding MT after release is a new kind of bullshit. EA and Activision need to cut this shit out.

Honestly, it should be grounds for an instant refund, no questions asked and no matter how long it's been played. It's extraordinarily scummy.

They do it so they get your money, as well as positive reviews, on launch - then they can be as shitty as they want.

Shift and Shift 2 were playable with a wheel. OFC different developer, but still NFS. This thing, I don't know what it is, but it is not my NFS.

they really need to retire this franchise...back in the day it was one of the pre-eminent arcade racers...now it's been surpassed by the likes of Forza, DiRT, TrackMania, Project CARS, The Crew etc

they really need to retire this franchise...back in the day it was one of the pre-eminent arcade racers...now it's been surpassed by the likes of Forza, DiRT, TrackMania, Project CARS, The Crew etc
To me the franchise died with Hot Pursuit 2, the sixth NFS. I enjoyed Shift 2 but it was only NFS by name. The rest are total garbage. Underground? I didn't play NFS to drive a focus. I really disliked that direction and the driving started to shift more and more towards arcade until eventually they completely dropped wheel controls. Even The Run was bad in terms of the actual driving but at least the storied presentation meant I had something to keep me going.

If you look at what the micro-transactions actually are, they're beyond unnecessary. They're really only targeting OCD completionists who would rather pay money than just play the game. Things like decals, gas stations, and activities are automatically revealed when you drive near them. Safe Houses are already shown - you just have to drive to them once.

If companies want to charge people to unlock things like that (that do nothing and don't affect anything), I'm fine with it. You're basically just paying for some shortcuts and decals that you get by playing the game anyway. It would be like paying to have access to Algonquin immediately in GTA4. That falls on people who have money to burn and no self control. If EA wants to make money off that, whatever.

The real question is if they'll try to charge for the new incoming vehicles. I have more of an issue with that. Mainly because in this game your car's rating is literally everything. Better stats outweigh better driving and most everything else. Then again, are people going to keep playing this game after blowing through the story, getting max heat level, and getting a level 300 car? There isn't anything else to do, really. I uninstalled it not long after that.

I don't think any of them have controlled well with a wheel, anyway, since they transitioned to the Underground series.

You don't think or you literally don't know? As someone who actually has played through NFS (2016) with a wheel twice, I can easily say it plays very well with a wheel and is more fun than a controller.

Need for Speed (2015) did not have wheel support when it launched on consoles. They added it for the PC release, but support was limited at first. I don't think wheel support ever came to the console versions.

Back