Need for Speed Carbon.

logan1

Gawd
Wow this game came outta no where. In any case I loved NFS: MW and will probably be getting this one too. Anyone else looking forward to this game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/needforspeedcarbon/index.html

933691_20060807_screen001.jpg

:D :D :D :D

I'd like the game, but the downside is that I've been reading it will be riddled with ads. Who knows how many, but some ppl say EA took on a lot more sponsors this time and threw contextuality out the window. This is all hear-say though, I've yet to hear a legit source comment on this, but as you can expect, no legit source could comment on this and stay a source of any EA content, so we'll have to see.

I don't know why people get upset over ads it helps it look more realistic I mean rac tracks in real life have ads

rcf1987 said:
I don't know why people get upset over ads it helps it look more realistic I mean rac tracks in real life have ads

The point of video games was to escape reality. That's what the point has always been. As time went on, games were supposed to have realistic overtones to make them more thrilling. However, these were always real-life concepts that added to the enjoyment of the game. Ads do not add to the enjoyment of anything, be it television, movies, magazines, cell phones, or video games. This is not a good thing. Endofuckinstorybub.

I think ads are alright in game. Hopefully they balance out the revenue lost due to piracy, and keep the PC gaming alive and well for years to come.

$0.02 :D

Wow, that seems to be all PC gaming has become...one group of people complaining about too many ads, another group of people saying the ads make it more realistic, and a third group saying piracy is the reason for ads in games. I'd like to address each of the three groups in order, if I may:

1) Shut up. Ads didn't randomly pop up out of nowhere, they've slowly been trickling into games for the past couple of years. The reason why so many of you are up in arms over this now, all of a sudden, is because of all the talk of EA putting ads in BF2142, which then reminds you that NFS is an EA game...and then you start ranting about how EA alone is responsible for all of the ads in games today. No, capitalism is the reason for this, and EA just happens to be very, very capitalistic...it's still technically true, but the most amusing part about it is that advertising is what gets the most amount of people up in arms about EA's business practices; not the game developer slave labor, only the stuff that ends up affecting you.

2) They might have that side effect, but no, developers did not start putting ads into games to make them "more realistic," they did them because Pepsi paid them a ton of cash. Game companies make money, not art.

3) Oh good lord, where the hell did you people even come up with this one? I'd love to see somebody prove this with anything even remotely resembling credible research, or hell, research of any kind. It's as though some kid whose mom buys him every videogame he wants was jealous of the kid down the street who has leet enough hax to download them on his own without begging his mom, so kid number 1 ranted about it to his Counter-Strike clanmates and the idea that kid number 2 is responsible for the lack of wicked awesome (11!) Counter-Strike alternatives made its way through the internet as a fact. Bleh.

On topic, I haven't played NFS:MW yet because I've been lacking a PC, but I believe since I will have one by this weekend that I will go buy it...also, I think my friend said it's like $8 now, which is absurd. I liked NFSU and NFSU2 a lot, and I heard NFSMW improved on those, and from what I hear, NFSC improves on that one...what's not to like?

The game did not come out of no where. There have been several trailers and in-game footage shown for several months now.

I am highly looking forward to it, I'm a fan of the NFS series.

NFS:MW was very fun due to the cop chases. The races on the other hand, has been the samething over the past 3 games, hopefully they do something new with this. Knowing EA however, it probably won't have anything new.

finalgt said:
Wow, that seems to be all PC gaming has become...one group of people complaining about too many ads, another group of people saying the ads make it more realistic, and a third group saying piracy is the reason for ads in games. I'd like to address each of the three groups in order, if I may:

1) Shut up. Ads didn't randomly pop up out of nowhere, they've slowly been trickling into games for the past couple of years. The reason why so many of you are up in arms over this now, all of a sudden, is because of all the talk of EA putting ads in BF2142, which then reminds you that NFS is an EA game...and then you start ranting about how EA alone is responsible for all of the ads in games today. No, capitalism is the reason for this, and EA just happens to be very, very capitalistic...it's still technically true, but the most amusing part about it is that advertising is what gets the most amount of people up in arms about EA's business practices; not the game developer slave labor, only the stuff that ends up affecting you.

2) They might have that side effect, but no, developers did not start putting ads into games to make them "more realistic," they did them because Pepsi paid them a ton of cash. Game companies make money, not art.

3) Oh good lord, where the hell did you people even come up with this one? I'd love to see somebody prove this with anything even remotely resembling credible research, or hell, research of any kind. It's as though some kid whose mom buys him every videogame he wants was jealous of the kid down the street who has leet enough hax to download them on his own without begging his mom, so kid number 1 ranted about it to his Counter-Strike clanmates and the idea that kid number 2 is responsible for the lack of wicked awesome (11!) Counter-Strike alternatives made its way through the internet as a fact. Bleh.

On topic, I haven't played NFS:MW yet because I've been lacking a PC, but I believe since I will have one by this weekend that I will go buy it...also, I think my friend said it's like $8 now, which is absurd. I liked NFSU and NFSU2 a lot, and I heard NFSMW improved on those, and from what I hear, NFSC improves on that one...what's not to like?

I like the way you put it...you're very unlike the typical gamer who is so indoctrinated with mainstream ideology...

If someone can confirm that the computer cars will use the same car and physics model as the player, I'll buy it the day it is released.

Once you twig that the computer cars all cheat like crazed weasels in Most Wanted, that just kills the entire fun of it.

Brent_Justice said:
The game did not come out of no where. There have been several trailers and in-game footage shown for several months now.

Im also a big fan of the series there needs to be more good racing games for PC. Shooters are fun but I like racing better.

I am looking forward to this game. And also Test Drive Unlimited looks good too. I played the demo on X360 and it was much better than the older Test Drive games. Hope the PC version is just as good.

finalgt said:

Actually, no. Valve started talking about doing it as well with HL2, and the public outcry made them rethink their approach a few years ago. I have no axe to grind with EA, and I've never even played BF2142. I've been a fan of the Battlefield series, and waws a very big fan of the recent Godfather release. I know that in order to feel comfortable, human beings, by nature, divide people into groups. However, doesn't make you any less wrong.

Did you know that when cable TV premiered 30 years ago, one of the selling points was that there were no commercials? This is why I rarely watch television anymore. I remember when the only ads in a comic book were for other comic books. I remember when MAD had 0 ads. I remember all of these degradations, and I'm seeing it occur once more. I was more up in arms about EA's poor customer support years ago, and was as outraged by the blog by the EA game developer's wife as you. I was more up in arms than anyone when Valve started using Steam exclusively to release certain titles, preventing any person from having a physical copy like had been done for years, the last true vestige of having property for your money. So, please, re-read the first line of your response and follow suit.

Brent_Justice said:

I was not a fan of NFS series, until NFS:MW. But right now, I play ir with friends online, on a regular basis.
After watching the autosculpt videos, I can't wait for Carbon.
Btw, I really liked the new Knockout races, where the knocked-out racer, becomes a cop. That must be a blast, when playing with friends.

finalgt said:

The major problem is the way EA is coming up with the ads, in this case IGA exclusively and what tactics they are using to achieve their demopgrahic. If it did not collect information it would be alright with me, however they say right now they do not collect information outside of the game, but why do they get access to kernel mode to be able to run their software. Perhaps for future data mining?

As for need for speed Carbon, it will be using IGA's advertising system, along with Massive's in game static ads.

alan.p said:
If someone can confirm that the computer cars will use the same car and physics model as the player, I'll buy it the day it is released.

Once you twig that the computer cars all cheat like crazed weasels in Most Wanted, that just kills the entire fun of it.
of course they will cheat. you expect ea to give them the time and resources to program in actual ai?

Thae Carbon demo on the 360's not so good. The framerate chugs (which is fixable on the PC), but the general game seems like it took the things wrong with NFS:UG2 and amplified them.
I'm a fan or the series and will likely get it anyway, but so far I don't have much hope.

I think ads in racing games are fine, as long as they aren't for tampons.

Domingo said:
Thae Carbon demo on the 360's not so good. The framerate chugs (which is fixable on the PC), but the general game seems like it took the things wrong with NFS:UG2 and amplified them.
I'm a fan or the series and will likely get it anyway, but so far I don't have much hope.

My feelings on the game right now. Im going to get it because I love the need for speed series but I have a feeling its going to be like Hot Pursuit 2. I liked UG2 also so I just may be weird but hey.

I really dont care about the ads. If your worried about them dont connect your computer to the Internet. Once you do you forefit all right to bitch about spyware and HTML tracking and all that.

But on a side note I have a friend that played the 360 demo and loved it so. I havent got a chance to play the bastards wont release a PC demo and I dont know anybody with a 360 within a 2 hour drive.

DeChache said:
I really dont care about the ads. If your worried about them dont connect your computer to the Internet. Once you do you forefit all right to bitch about spyware and HTML tracking and all that.
no. that is straight up bullshit, and it is incredible that you could possibly have such an attitude.

Martyr said:
no. that is straight up bullshit, and it is incredible that you could possibly have such an attitude.

Why. Its the truth. The only way to keep your computer private is to not connect it to the internet. I just have the notition that if they want my email passwords or my term papers they can have them.

UG2's a love/hate game. There was a lot right with it, but also a lot wrong with it. I think the major problem is that you can't buy/sell cars and there are a limited number of races in the game. If you make a bad decision getting a car you don't like, you're permanently stuck with it.
The races were nice, but VERY repetitious at the end of the game. While the world map seemed good on paper, it made some things a little tedious.
I dunno, it wasn't awful, but I liked UG1 and Most Wanted a lot more.

Im on my fourth trip threw UG2 and I think I finally figured out the right combination of cars to make it threw. I always stalled out in the last stage due to lack of money and a crappy car. The world map is cool but it need the MW feature that alowed you just to jump to the races if you didnt want to cruise around all night.

Luckily I made it through UG2 on my first trip. I ended up only using a few cars, one of which I only used for drag. I started with a GTI and eventually moved up to an Eclipse, RX8, and finished with a Skyline. The RX8 had poor handling for my tastes, but is quick.
The trick is to find what kind of car you like to handle (rear/front/all) and look up the real car online if you don't already know what kind it is. That minimizes buying a car and souping it up only to find out that it doesn't handle the way you want.
The funniest thing about UG2 is how awful the final "boss" was. I actually lapped the guy because his AI was so bad. I thought it was just a bug and raced him again, but the same thing happened again. The final race in UG1 was tough, so this was a surprise for me.

Since need for speed 3 and on, the nfs series has been targeted more and more to consoles which has really crippled it's potential imho. They should give it a decent client/server multiplayer model and open the game up to modding. I realize they want to keep their car physics under wraps, but a scripting system to add vehicles and a map editor would go a long ways.

Game looks great, I liek the new option to be the cop in the multiplayer. Theres tons of ways ads can work out well in this game.

Ive been missing the spilt screen of old so that you and a bud can play on the same computer. There are no multiplayer computer games anymore and I dont count MMO and online shooters. Im talking old school split screen. We did it on 15in crts why can we do it on our big LCDs.

Ads in racing games are nothing new at all, not at all.

There were ads in NFS Underground 2, All the nascar games.. in lots of games.

The only thing that would bother me is forcing me to watch commercials. If they want to know what im doing on my PC i dont really care.. however invasion of privacy is a big thing to some ppl~

I dont care if the whole world knows what i do on my PC. But some people dont want anyone to know, and i see how it is wrong.

Actually, if my PC is running slower because i installed a game (spyware) then i'd also have a problem. A big problem.

But billboards, banners shit like that i dont care.

The thing is, before games started having ads, people were actually complaining that things weren't realistic because they had billboards for "Fun Burger" and "Toy World."
I think the ads give it a sense of realism. Unless they start forcing us to watch commercials in something we've paid for, I'm happy with the ads.

Domingo said:
The thing is, before games started having ads, people were actually complaining that things weren't realistic because they had billboards for "Fun Burger" and "Toy World."
I think the ads give it a sense of realism. Unless they start forcing us to watch commercials in something we've paid for, I'm happy with the ads.
yes, realistic ads are better. but a pepsi sign in the middle of a warzone? no.

Martyr said:

Yes I agree that for BF 2142 the Idea is absurd but for Carbon who cares. I dont really dont take time to look at the senery in most racing games to begin with.

I thoroughly enjoyed Underground 1 and when I rented NFSMW for ps2 I found the graphics to be complete and utter crap after playing Burnout Revenge. Anyways I am looking forward to Carbon as I have always been a fan of racing games.

tisb0b said:
I thoroughly enjoyed Underground 1 and when I rented NFSMW for ps2 I found the graphics to be complete and utter crap after playing Burnout Revenge. Anyways I am looking forward to Carbon as I have always been a fan of racing games.

My roommate and I noticed that on his XBOX. I want the burnout series for computer.

Martyr said:

There's nothing wrong with a billboard in the middle of an urban area.

There's not even anything wrong with a billboard in the middle of an urban combat zone.......

as long as it's half blown-away, or deformable so YOU can blow it away :D

anyone able to find anytihng on a demo release day?

god i wanna play this game ><

Back