Need fastest SSD for raid 0 on sata ii

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
My motherboard has only sata ii from ICH10R and I would like to put two SSD's in raid 0 attached to the motherboard. I would like to have the fastest ones in the 100 to 128GB range. Any ideas?

Ugh, RAID0 and SSD, huh? So like quadruple the failure rate of a single harddrive :(

You sure that's what you want to do? That being said, I have no suggestions on SSDs for you, sorry :(

Samsug 470 or Intel 320 series. Consider going for a single bigger ssd vs. two Raid0 together, unless you really really need/want high transfer rates.

I think you are asking the wrong question:

1) SATA3 will get you better performance.

2) Larger hard SSDs have better performance numbers than smaller ones.

3) But I like the RAID idea.
---

You really need to determine what performance you need (as well as the performance measure).

Ugh, RAID0 and SSD, huh? So like quadruple the failure rate of a single harddrive :(

Many people run RAID-0 for needed performance. Video editing machines and temporary database creation/testing needs tons of write speed and IOPS, something HDDs and some single SSDs can't do.

It may not be a bad choice for what it is being used for.

OP, as for the SSDs, if you can, get a SATA-III controller card, then get some SATA-III SSDs if you can afford it. You will be much happier.

If not, go with Intel or Corsair SSDs.

My motherboard has only sata ii from ICH10R and I would like to put two SSD's in raid 0 attached to the motherboard. I would like to have the fastest ones in the 100 to 128GB range. Any ideas?

What IOPS and sequential read speed are you shooting for?

That the best you can do? Surely there is something more expensive.
LOL!

SATA2 or 3 doesn't matter.

My suggestion is that you read a little and decide what's best for your particular situation.

The ICH10 is the best chipset avaliable and I suggest you look at Crucial and Intel for reliable drives.

I would say wait until Revodrive 3 X2 is out. No matter how you slice it...it is decent $ for the performance. Otherwise, get a server mobo with at least 8-12 dimm slots and pack in 4GB dimms and make a 24-40 GB RAM drive. Should be large enough for most video editing work with amazing performance. However, running 4SSD's in RAID 0 on hte ICHR10 controller I think will be quite a bit less performance than a spending a little more

Note: I have a 12GB RAM drive...makes video editing fairly "buttery", but I don't do anything "huge"

I would say wait until Revodrive 3 X2 is out.

Now the question is should we all go from saying stay away from OCZ and Sandforce products to buying them up like they are the next best after sliced bread just because they released a new product? I think anyone should be cautious about this and wait a little bit before jumping on this.

Well, RAID0 on ICH10R yields better numbers than RAID0 on SATA III ports powered by the Marvell 9128 ports (on the ASUS P6T for example). You can check results here:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...CH10R-Vs-Highpoint-640-Single-RAID/td-p/18454

ICH10R gets very good results.

As drescherjm said, I would stay away from OCZ/Sandforce products for the moment. Intel or Crucial should get you a very fast RAID0 setup.

Now the question is should we all go from saying stay away from OCZ and Sandforce products to buying them up like they are the next best after sliced bread just because they released a new product?
There's no question in my mind.

I'd take a chance on an another OCZ drive if they were 50-60% cheaper than list price.

Other than that I'll pass.

Back