Need everyone to contribute here

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
As i near the end of my old card project on my website http://hardwarebenchmark.googlepages.com/, for which people have generously lent me their cards ( see the topic in my sig ), I need your opinions to make this thing look the best . Today I'll be needing you opinion in the look of the graphs. Would you like a graph like this with Game art in the background

Capture044.jpg

or a graph like this

Capture043908.jpg

Which one looks more slick ?

I would like to thank the people who have lent me their cards once again

7800GTX, thanks to Bogmali on TPU
x1950XT, thanks to Dr. Dr. Spankenstein on TPU
7600 GT ( I own this)
7900GT , thanks to Clipperfix on Anandtech for donating this
8600GTS

I like the easy to read second one better. There is nothing more aggravating than looking through background images when you only want to read the numbers.

i like the first one. BUT you need to fix the text so they are readable on the background.

use the art.
use colors that stand out.
get some up-to-date video cards.:eek::eek:

the art do seem interesting. but don't use too many colors, as it tend to distract the eye. make the background art in black and white, or some type of muted and subdued color scheme, and then make the graph lines the basic colors.

Well the second one makes me feel better about my 8600GTS card. The first graph makes me want to upgrade it.

second graph, drop the all the extra vertical lines but the 10's just too many lines.

the top one looks good just hard to read. having an image like that would be good for a link to the reviews or something,

I like the first one better. Since there are so many sites doing benchmarks out there, the 1st one makes you stand out among the rest.

Go with #2, definitely. You might think #1 looks "slick", but you are using images from copyrighted material, which is not cool and can land you in some really hot water.

Sure, you can argue that you aren't making a profit off of someone else's copyrighted work, but do you have any idea how many "cease & desist" letters Disney sends out to personal sites threatening legal action if pics of Mickey Mouse aren't removed?

1st one for sure, prehaps a fade effect on the background would help the issues some ppl are saying about it.

Well the second one makes me feel better about my 8600GTS card. The first graph makes me want to upgrade it.

It is only getting really beat by the 1950xt. But, remember that card sold for $500+ once upon a time. Makes me feel really bad for a 7800gtx I have in a box over in the corner. Makes me remember why I shoved it in a box in the first place.

OP, The first graph would be my preference so long as you made the text/numbers easier to read. If you can't really do that, then the second graph would be my choice.

the 2nd one. not to be nit picky but the x-coordinate should be labeled as fps and you should also denote what resolution this test was run at.

Perhaps you should make a new thread on this and set it up as a poll?

As a person who has made a lot of graphs and other graphical representations, I'd have to go with the second one - it is clear and attractive. As previously mentioned, don't forget to add FPS to the x-axis. That being said, I think the first one stands out well, and sets itself apart from most other graphs out there. It has a few layout issues, such as the lower numbers along the x-axis blending into the white part of the graphic. It is also much longer, this may be an issue depending on the size of the page you're making.

Really however it depends on the page layout you're shooting for and your own personal style. It looks like you've got a lot of info to post, so make certain you're indexing it well.

BTW, I like your little project here, kudos to you! :cool:

#1 definitely. Very impressive and unique. Just bring the graph points in the foreground and move the "Splinter Cell" logo in the background.

I agree with most that the second on is the better choice. The first looks nice but there is to much in the background to distract the eye.

Go with #2, definitely. You might think #1 looks "slick", but you are using images from copyrighted material, which is not cool and can land you in some really hot water.

Sure, you can argue that you aren't making a profit off of someone else's copyrighted work, but do you have any idea how many "cease & desist" letters Disney sends out to personal sites threatening legal action if pics of Mickey Mouse aren't removed?

You used the word mickey and the word, la la la, mouse without any thing in between. Expect to see a SWAT team show up at our house very soon. :p

Oh yeah, hell, go for #1. And if you get the letter change it to #2.

Both graphs look great.

I found reading the second one much easyer and would prefer general disemination of "bulk" information with that one. For a specific short graph, say a header or top of page item, Use the first, for the nuts and bolts use the second.

Both look good but you see plain graphs everyday. I'd choose #1 just because it's different.

First one , make the backround art much more transparent. The second one I'm tired of, every website under the sun uses that format and I'd like to see something that took more than 20 seconds to compile.

Second one is more practical. Easier to read.

However, with a few changes the first one could be just as good. Perhaps if you put the first one on a black background and create a watermark of the image. Make it opaque (I guess that is the correct word). You would still be able to make out the image but it would be way more subtle and the graphs would stand out better. Keep the game title just like you have it right now, just mute the rest of the image.

1st for being unique... ive seen the 2nd one arround on different sites

First one is sexier but harder to read. Maybe gray it out or something?

Back