Need educated guesses on when 2180ti will be out?

eddie500

Gawd
Trying to justify a 2080ti upgraded from my 1080ti.

Do you think the 2180ti will be out 1 year from now, or more likely 2 years from now?

Because if its more like 2 years than its worth the upgrade, but not 1 year.

Sorry guys I know people hate threads like this, but need justification.

Thanks.

I believe the next Ti will come out late Q1 or early Q2 of next year if Samsung is on time with 7nm.

Why do you think so soon. The 1080ti came out March 2017 and took almost 2 years for the 2080ti to come out?

Will they be releasing cards quicker going forward?

Truth is nobody knows. It could be Q1/Q2 of next year as already stated, but nothing stops Nvidia from just putting out a 2170 and 2180 while holding back the top tier card to sell more 2080 Tis. At this point the 2080 Ti has been on the market less than 6 months.

You need to ask yourself if you need more performance for whatever resolution you are playing at and if you care about the RTX features. I just got myself a 2080 Ti but I was coming from a 980 Ti so it's a huge upgrade. If I was a 1080 Ti owner I would just wait for the next gen cards, however long that takes because the 1080 Ti will run even 4K pretty decently for quite some time.

Truth is nobody knows. It could be Q1/Q2 of next year as already stated, but nothing stops Nvidia from just putting out a 2170 and 2180 while holding back the top tier card to sell more 2080 Tis. At this point the 2080 Ti has been on the market less than 6 months.

You need to ask yourself if you need more performance for whatever resolution you are playing at and if you care about the RTX features. I just got myself a 2080 Ti but I was coming from a 980 Ti so it's a huge upgrade. If I was a 1080 Ti owner I would just wait for the next gen cards, however long that takes because the 1080 Ti will run even 4K pretty decently for quite some time.

The issue is I actually need to build a second gaming computer for work. Trying to decide if I should buy a 2080ti or possibly get something cheaper for my 2nd build.

The 1080ti is actually really fine and there is no way I would upgrade it to a 2080ti. However, if I'm going to get a card for my 2nd build for gaming at work, should I buy a 2080ti when the 1080ti is more than enough for me on my home gaming computer.

7nm is a new node. The 2180 Ti/Titan will almost certainly be a mid-sized die. The giant monolithic die on 7nm like Turing/Volta will most likely be the 2280Ti, not the 2180 Ti. That probably won't be out until 2021.

18mo-2 yrs is the current cadence. A jump to 7nm may accelerate that some, but nVidia won't be in any hurry unless they have to be.

18mo-2 yrs is the current cadence. A jump to 7nm may accelerate that some, but nVidia won't be in any hurry unless they have to be.
eh we could see a die shrink refresh of the current RTX line up late this year early 20' with prices back to normal

The question you need to ask is, when will AMD be competitive in the high end?

The year 2020, at the earliest, is the answer. You won't need to even begin worrying till June 2019.

Someone gave me good advice once. They said buy a video card after each console release.

My lineup went, radeon, radeon 9700, gtx 8800, (missed the 290), 1080ti. Can't say he was wrong.

As a side question how is your internet? I have fiber internet at home and I just steam games to work.

If you have my luck, within a week of buying the 2080ti, Nvidia will announce the 2180ti...to be released in 6 months.

It's just the way it works.

Someone gave me good advice once. They said buy a video card after each console release.

My lineup went, radeon, radeon 9700, gtx 8800, (missed the 290), 1080ti. Can't say he was wrong.
You went from an 8800GTX to a 1080 Ti? That's like a ten year gap. Did you just quit playing games for ten years?

I can think of very few use cases right now where you really need a 2080 Ti, but if you want it just for the hell of it, by all means buy one. Even if they did come out with a 3080Ti at the end of the year, you'd have had a whole year of enjoying it by then.

2080ti is being held back by the low clock speed, I am also waiting for the correct version of this GPU.

it will most likely be just a refresh rather than a whole new architecture, 7nm 2080ti will easily run 50% faster than the ones out today.

2080ti is being held back by the low clock speed, I am also waiting for the correct version of this GPU.

it will most likely be just a refresh rather than a whole new architecture, 7nm 2080ti will easily run 50% faster than the ones out today.

un-educated guesses are fine also. :smuggrin::asshat:

I'm gonna say it's gonna be awhile. Nvidia is king of the hill and unless there is external pressure from competition, they can just sit on Turing for awhile.

They really screwed themselves by releasing Turing when there were overstocks / oversupply of Pascal still in the market. Look at the impact on their stock. And the big gotcha - Pascal still performs well enough for 99% of people out there, including myself.

If we believe the speculation that AMD will do low to mid Navi this year and maybe high end Navi next year, it will depend on how well Navi actually runs. In the best case scenario, Navi 7nm high performance (2020) turns out to be a beast, Nvidia will be more motivated to release something, just to one up AMD at that time.

Whether that's a 2080ti refresh or something entirely new would be a guess but time wise that would be the earliest I would say.

At this point it's a wild guess because Nvidia dropped a Ti variant at launch, throwing out their old playbook.

Previously they would have release the 2080 and then the Ti ~ 10 months after. Now that they were both released at the same time we have no idea if Nvidia will release some sort of stopgap refresh in 10 months or if they just don't plan on releasing another card until next gen is ready.

Now that I think about it this could be related to the RTX series price hike. Rather than trying to get power users to buy a card (2080), buy the better version in a few months (2080ti), and then letting that user sell their old card on the secondary market (a potential lost sale ). They just skip a bunch of steps and make all the money on the first sale.

My gut tells me to expect a refresh of the 2080ti late this year or early next, not anything huge, but a 5-10% performance bump like the Titan X pascal - 1080ti - Titan Xp rotation. For any real next gen cards though, I doubt we will see anything till 2021.

I would think that the refresh will primarily increase RTX performance, and might go as low as the 2070 line.

If you have my luck, within a week of buying the 2080ti, Nvidia will announce the 2180ti...to be released in 6 months.

It's just the way it works.

Then buy one so we can get the 2180ti sooner!

I think it will depend on how AMD does. I don't think NAVI will be faster than VegaVII, so the RTX2080Ti will still be unmatched.

That means nvidia can wait at least till 2020 for a refresh.

Now, if AMD somehow manages to take back the crown, then I guess Q3 would be likely.

nVidia has not cared what AMD is doing since the 980ti, I don't think they will start now. A 2080ti refresh would be both for additional sales to the bleeding edge enthusiast and to distance themselves from the bad PR on the 2080ti, so it very well could be a Sept-Oct window.

Nvidia are just gunna grind away at the budget & midrange till 2020. They've played their top card already and their prices NEVER come down.

They can't even 'side-trump' the Titan RTX like the 1080ti did to the first Titan XP.

Back