Need Data Recovery Help

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
Don't ask me how, because I dont know, but Windows managed to break itself. Now it may seem strange to a few of you, implausible as it sounds, but I DID NOT BREAK IT. For once I was not the cause of a Windows failure. On to the story.

I was playing a game today, every thing was fine. My mom needed the phone so I cancelled my download that I had going in the background and went to restart my computer. Restarted, logged in and things seemed fine. I was having trouble with some software before today so I finally got around to fixing it. I go to open the zip file and extract it all, doesn't work. "Windows Cannot Open This 16bit File" or something like that. I'm like, Ok and think the file is corrupted. I wait till my mom clears the line and I reconnect and re-download it. Same thing happens. I right click the file to look at the properties and whatnot, but nothing happens. All I get is an hour glass. So I wait, then explorer crashes. I'm thinking, Ok something is a little screwed up, but I persist. I restart explorer and try again. Nothing. Do it several times and nothing.

So, after several failed attempts I restart again. I go into My Computer to try something, but I can't do anything. Opening My Computer froze up explorer once again. Explorer must have crashed a good 20 times on me today.:eek: I pop in my XP cd to repair the install. Everything is going good, till I restart after its all finished. This time it gives me a blue screen after loading XP for less than a second. It says something like "Windows has detected a problem and has shut down your computer to prevent data loss or corruption. If this is the first time you've seen this message restart your computer. If not, run CHKDSK /F to detect and repair errors." Then it goes on and gives me an error number:

****STOP 0x0000007B (0xFAF73640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I shutdown my computer and check the cables to make sure something isn't loose. Start up again and run chkdsk. It found some errors and fixed them. I think thats the end of that and try to boot again, to no avail. Same blue screen and error number.

I then try to fix it using the Ultimate Boot CD. I've never used it for any intensive purposes before, nor have I even had it for long, so I didn't really know what I was doing. I used the TestDrive feature it has and when viewing the sectors on my boot partition it said NTLDR IS MISSING****NTLDR IS COMPRESSED. I would have thought that the repair install would have fixed that, but I guess not. I try the repair again but nothing. Normally I would just reformat the partition, but this time I do not have the luxury. There are several gigabytes worth of files I need on it that I cannot access.

I put a spare drive in my computer and format it so I can salvage the files. Boot into knoppix to copy them over. For one reason or another, I couldn't do anything to the files on the drive. I check over the permissions, everything set to full read-write access. Format this drive and install XP on it, and set the other drive up as slave. I can see the folders, but beyond that I can't do anything. Cut/copy/paste/delete, nothing will work, it will give me an access is denied message. I'm confused about this whole situation and what caused it, distraught at the loss of access to my files. I ran a virus scan last night as I slept, before the incident ever occured, found nothing. Before I had a total systems failure I ran Spybot, found nothing. As far as I know, my system was completely devoid of any malicious programs. I hadn't even touched any settings to have created a problem. I did nothing to cause this, it just happened. I'm baffled, so I'm turning to those smarter than I for help. I need those files, clearing the drive and doing a fresh install is not an option till I get them.

I don't know whats going on. Hopefully someone does. If you need more information, just ask and I'll provide it.

Edit: I've been able to get access to most of my files. Though I'm still missing quite a few because I can't get access to my Documents and Settings folder.

Back