Need confirmation on new Z68 SRT setup

WarLust

Limp Gawd
OK, so I decided to go with a z68 board, the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z, with a 2600K cpu over my 920 on a FTW3 board. I just recently purchased a Corsair Series 3 GT 120 GB SSD and it runs great on my X58 board, but I wanted more CPU speed and the max SSD speeds. I know X79 will be better, but I didn't want to wait and will buy it anyway.

Now from what I have read on [H] and other places is that it would be optimal to setup the 120 GB SSD as a separate drive specifically for Win 7 and apps and use my 2 TB WD Caviar Black for the other stuff. My new components come in tomorrow so I want to get this right the first time.

Do I setup the Corsair GT 120 GB as a drive for OS and apps and setup the Caviar Black 2 TB as another drive, and if so, should I SRT the 2 TB drive with the onboard Intel 20 GB SLC SSD in maximum mode for SSD like speeds for that large data drive?

Another question, since I usually have 4-6 large games at any one time on my system, obviously that will require more than 120 GB along with the OS, so should I just place my game and apps on the SRT 2 TB drive system?

Obviously, if the games do not fit on the 120 GB SSD you have to place them on the HDD. Or you could buy a larger SSD.

What exactly is the question? You answered everything yourself. You should not expect SSD-like performance for everything you do with the 2 TB drive, but if you do not switch between all games on a hourly basis, the one or two games that you play at a time should get cached on the SSD.

So you have the 20 GB Intel SSD for SRT use or are you asking if you should buy it?

Back