Need Clarification on Updating MSI P67 Driver Software

TorxT3D

Gawd
so i got this msi live updater installed latest version (5.0.057) and im comparing to the latest drivers page on msi's website. Some of this stuff doesnt reflect each other. (win7 x64)

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65--B3-.html#/?div=Driver

My question is...
Should i rely on the msi updater, or manually install drivers/software myself from the website?

Second question..
On that msi driver page, what driver software do i really need to install after a fresh win7 install?

Most of these drivers, i have the slightest clue of what it does and i dont wanna install a bunch of junk thats going to trash my windows 7.
I know for a fact that installing the latest cougar point driver is a must, but what else on that page should i install??

edit:
Intel MEI driver - obviously the driver needed to overclock via software control center.. not very important to me right now
Sandybridge chipset - very important to install after win7 install
Renesas usb 3.0 - important to install?? or does win7 install this?
Intel TPM - dunno what this is, important to install?
Realtek PCIe Ethernet - important to install?? or does win7 install this?
Realtek HD audio - important to install?? or does win7 install this?
Marvell Sata 3 - important to install?? or does win7 install this?
Intel Matrix storage - i dunno what this is, important to install?

thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't rely on the updater. I grabbed all the necessary drivers from the website. I haven't updated my BIOS yet, as i'll be replacing my board soon with B3 anyway. But the updater doesn't update that in any event.

You'll want the chipset, ethernet, audio (if you use onboard), and the sata/storage drivers don't hurt. IMHO always a good policy to use driver from manufacturer instead of default OS unless there isn't one.

okay. looks like everything should be important to install except (in my case) the MEI, TPM, matrix storage, renasas usb3.0.

where can i find the beta bios? even though i have no interest in updating, im kinda curious as to where they can be found.

also after installing the realtek hd driver and thx application, sound is soo much better! i thought i was gonna be stuck with some flat ugly sound, my beyerdynamics dont like that, lol

Using a GD65 -

You don't need the Intel RST (Intel Matrix Storage) really unless you are running RAID. At least this was what I was told when I asked in the data storage section.

The Marvell Sata 3, I'm not sure is right or works properly. I still have a Marvell controller with no driver according to device manger. The actual SATA controller seems to work fine though, I have 1 HD connected to it.

I installed the USB 3 driver, but I do not own an USB 3 device to test whether it was working, or whether it worked without it.

Back