need business router recommendation

Forealz

Limp Gawd
Hi I work with an insurance business and its time to install a new router, the old one is getting up in years. I've tried googling but have found its hard to find any concrete recommendations on new routers. We'd like it to be fast, reliable, with wireless and the ability to restrict internet access for certain websites for certain users. Can anyone recommend anything to me or point me to where I should be looking? Thanks

also will need current network setup (what is acting as the DHCP/DNS server now). Do you currently run a windows domain?

Restricting on a per-user basis is what's going to complicate this setup.

Peplink Balance One.

Peplink makes the most reliable, solid small-medium business routers, period.

Even better would be a non-wireless Balance 20 and separate Pepwave access point which you can manage from the Balance configuration page.

I've equipped many, many offices with Peplink's gear and never had to reboot after years of uptime, with no degradation in performance whatsoever.

(even if you'll never use the multi-wan capabilities of Peplink's units, they're well worth the price).

Last edited:
Zyxel Zywall 110

Cisco ASA

For the wireless Ubiquiti Unifi (pick your preferred version)

also will need current network setup (what is acting as the DHCP/DNS server now). Do you currently run a windows domain?

Yes, its a windows domain. Server 2012.

The Zyxel can restrict on a per group/user basis.

Zyxel Zywall 110

Cisco ASA

For the wireless Ubiquiti Unifi (pick your preferred version)

+1

Get each separately. Don't buy those all-in-ones ever, especially for professional firewall/routers. They are usually a joke.

Peplink Balance One.

Peplink makes the most reliable, solid small-medium business routers, period.

Even better would be a non-wireless Balance 20 and separate Pepwave access point which you can manage from the Balance configuration page.

I've equipped many, many offices with Peplink's gear and never had to reboot after years of uptime, with no degradation in performance whatsoever.

(even if you'll never use the multi-wan capabilities of Peplink's units, they're well worth the price).
I agree on the reliability front, ours was rock solid. However, it was very light on features. This was a Balance 210, perhaps the newer ones have more features. We now have a WatchGuard XTM 515 which is been amazing, but way too big for this application.

It doesn't say the Zywall has intrusion prevention or anti-virus features.

+1

Get each separately. Don't buy those all-in-ones ever, especially for professional firewall/routers. They are usually a joke.

I'm looking at the WatchGuard XTM 330, any thoughts on that? It seems to have everything we need.

I'm looking at the WatchGuard XTM 330, any thoughts on that? It seems to have everything we need.
Pretty nice. Just make sure you get a good price on it. I was able to get my XTM 515 with 3 years of advanced security for the same price as 1 year would have been. WatchGuard lets you demo for 30 days before committing so that might be a good option for you.

Fortinet 60D for granularity of content filtering. Great UTM feature set, but a touch pricey.

Update.

I was conversing with a watchguard sales rep earlier today and she sent me the data sheet. The Watchguard xtm 33 mtbf is 33 Wired or Wireless 129,955 hours @ 104° F (40° C ), while the 330 is 51,644 hours @ 77° F (25° C). This seems to be an incredible difference between the two. The UTM throughput of the 33 is 100mbps, half that of the 330, but still double our inbound line. I'm assuming its because the 330 consumes twice the watts.

It seems an easy decision to me, especially considering the reduction in price.

Back