Need assurance on my network setup 2.5bps

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
So I have two z490 mobos with the 2.5gbps lan ports ,
i also own a 2.5gbps router called the Asus RT AX86u

With the new network standard will I be able to transfer 2.5gbps to my other desktop through my RT AX 86u?

Right now the 2.5gbps port on the router is for the WAN to my comcast xb7 2.5gbps port.

Not sure how this new networking standard works , do the lan ports just become 2.5gbps on the router as long as you have two network cards communicating at 2.5gbps?

I

According to the specs:
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4, RJ45 for 2.5G BaseT for WAN/LAN x 1
USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 2

There's only a single 2.5 Gb/s port. So no, the two PCs will not be able to transfer at 2.5 Gb/s between them.

so why does multigig exist then?

This is a marketing problem, not a technology problem.

The mGig interface exists to provide LAN clients that support mGig higher than gigabit speeds to wireless clients (if your wireless architecture can even deliver faster than gigabit speeds). Typically mGig deployments (there aren't that many) in the business space are using mGig APs connected back to mGig switches to provide bandwidth to ultra-dense wireless networks. It's basically worthless at home.

You could get a couple of cheapo Intel nics to connected to your router and then run a cross over cable between pcs for the 2.5gbs network speeds if your data destination on each side can handle the speeds.

So I have two z490 mobos with the 2.5gbps lan ports ,
i also own a 2.5gbps router called the Asus RT AX86u

With the new network standard will I be able to transfer 2.5gbps to my other desktop through my RT AX 86u?

Right now the 2.5gbps port on the router is for the WAN to my comcast xb7 2.5gbps port.

Not sure how this new networking standard works , do the lan ports just become 2.5gbps on the router as long as you have two network cards communicating at 2.5gbps?

I
Maybe you can bond ports through lag lacp? You need a 2.5gb switch that supports lag

It looks like there is only one 2.5GbE port on the Asus RT AX86u, but that you can assign it to be a WAN or a LAN port. I doubt you need more than a regular gigabit port on your WAN side. You can assign the 2.5GbE port to LAN, and use the single 2.5GbE port to connect to one of your computers. For the other computer, stick a cheap Intel dual-port gigabit adapter in there to compliment your existing Ethernet port (example). Run 3 cables from the Ethernet ports on that computer to 3 of the gigabit ports on your router. Windows will use SMB 3.0+ to automatically take advantage of all available Ethernet connections (connected to the same network) simultaneously when transferring files between computers. So on one computer you will have a 2.5GbE connection, on the other computer you will have 3x 1Gb connections, and you should be able to achieve full 2.5GbE speeds transferring between computers (assuming that whatever drives are in each computer can keep up with those speeds). It's not an elegant solution but it works. I run 4x GbE on my main desktop and 4x GbE on my file server and using nothing but those multiple gigabit connections I get LAN file-transfer speeds faster than 2.5GbE.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Really to do what you want, you want to have a switch with more than one 2.5gbe port. Otherwise it's just for sharing data, aka if you have 4 1gbe devices plugged in, they would share a 2.5gbe connection vs all 4 contending for a 1gbe. If you want to setup the entire network it'll require some new equipment sadly (either network cards or a new switch).

It looks like there is only one 2.5GbE port on the Asus RT AX86u, but that you can assign it to be a WAN or a LAN port. I doubt you need more than a regular gigabit port on your WAN side. You can assign the 2.5GbE port to LAN, and use the single 2.5GbE port to connect to one of your computers. For the other computer, stick a cheap Intel dual-port gigabit adapter in there to compliment your existing Ethernet port (example). Run 3 cables from the Ethernet ports on that computer to 3 of the gigabit ports on your router. Windows will use SMB 3.0+ to automatically take advantage of all available Ethernet connections (connected to the same network) simultaneously when transferring files between computers. So on one computer you will have a 2.5GbE connection, on the other computer you will have 3x 1Gb connections, and you should be able to achieve full 2.5GbE speeds transferring between computers (assuming that whatever drives are in each computer can keep up with those speeds). It's not an elegant solution but it works. I run 4x GbE on my main desktop and 4x GbE on my file server and using nothing but those multiple gigabit connections I get LAN file-transfer speeds faster than 2.5GbE.
Is smb 3.0+ actually that smart?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so why does multigig exist then?
In your case it is probably for the total of all your connected device to use together more than 1 gig from/to the WAN port, say you have one machine downloading 1 gig, one other downloading at one gig and an other uploading at 500mbits.

With a gigabit wan, they will not be able to over 1 gig combined, that can be reasonable use case, has more than 1 gbits for a single machine is quite a lot, think at a work place where you end up with 12 devices behind that 2.5 gbits lan, it can be nice to offer them more than 80 mbits that they would have with a 1GB connection if they have some intensive bandwidth use case to the Internet, even if they do not need more than 1gbits between each other if they need to talk to each other at all.

Back