Need assistance from a PFsense GURU

Mackintire

2[H]4U
Can anyone give me step by step direction (or direct me to where they exist) on how to add another interface to the same logical group as LAN

My goal is to get multiple interfaces to act like they are all plugged into a switch. Similar to a consumer router's lan ports.

So port 0 = WAN (already works)

port 1 = LAN (has a IP and the interface is set to static) already works

port 2 = OPT1 (I want to configure this so it is part of LAN)

port 3 = OPT2 (I want to configure this so it is part of LAN)

port 4 = OPT 3 (not in use)

port 5 = OPT 4 (not in use)

port 6 = Wireless (already configured, but is isolated from LAN traffic)

port 7 = DMZ (already configured)

I've read up on using the bridging function, and have firewall rules in place, but I think I am missing something or a couple somethings.

Again there are many piecemeal documents covering this topic but nothing that is a working example for release 2.0

I have my firewall rules written to allow traffic from LAN to flow to OPT1 and rules for OPT1 traffic to flow to LAN.

Or do I have to define bridge1 as an interface and define all traffic going to and from that? (like it's a virtual bridge between the two?)

I could do this the hard way and hammer at it with wireshark and figure it all out, but I'm really surprised such a basic request is not properly documented anywhere.

Thank you in advance.

Mackintire

What I've done in the past is to add multiple interfaces (LAN, OPT1, OPT2, in your example) to a bridge interface (br0) and then assign and use it as you LAN interface.

So basically:

Write down the settings for LAN and apply them as a template to the BR0.

Do you change LAN's type from static to None when you do this?

That's what I did. Set them to "None" and then apply your LAN settings to br0 as it'll show up as another Interface.

Back