Need an RPG

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a few different types of games- namely a hack and slash RPG or a D&D type RPG. I am not looking for a first person RPG.

I was browsing the net and came across Neverwinter Nights 2. Is it similar to Neverwinter Nights and the other D&D type games? I have played the Icewind Dales series, Baldurs Gate series, Planescape: Torment, etc.. and am looking for something similar to those games?

Any suggestions?

Are there also any games currently out similar to Divine Divinity or Diablo 2?

NWN2 is similar to NWN but Obsidian royally butchered the UI, performance and the OC. The expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is considerably better but unfortunately rather short.

The only other RPG I can think of would be The Witcher. It uses a modified version of the NWN engine and feels fairly similar aside from the way combat is handled. I am really enjoying it and would highly recommend it.

I'm playing Hellgate:London and find it to be a fun hack and slash. You can play first or third person view and either work fine. It gets a little tedious towards then end because of the lack of level designs, but I've played through it once and have started another character because I enjoy it so much.

Well Hellgate london makes a fun hack and slash, and I do also find the story intriging, despite how vague they make the story. It ran like crap on my system though :(

I'd recommend trying out The Witcher if you haven't done so already.
New patch should be along in a few days as well.

Been a long time since I played NWN2, but apparently the latest patch helped a lot, you can dl an AI mod, and from what I hear the campaign of the expansion is a lot more compelling.
I've been meaning to give it a shot again with the patches & an AI mod - what really put me off before were a few major bugs & hideously bad AI. Only thing that made the original campaign playable at all for me was ditching the NPCs & playing through with a couple friends instead. That fell apart though, so I never actually finished it.

As far as Hellgate:London goes there might as well be no story for all that it matters, it is however quite fun to hack away in.

With NWN2 it's a different story (no pun intended). The expansion is better IMO than the original campaign but played in succession they can take quite some time.

In my mind we still need for better RPGs than Fallout I & II and Planescape:Torment to come out, although it's a pretty high mark to set.

You could go looking for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II, they are definately RPGs and very VERY enjoyable, even if they are not spanking new. In reverse order I will go as far as saying that they are the best RPGs I have played since Fallout and Torment.

Theres this fairly old game called summoner I really liked - not exactly sure if its what your after though, I don't play all that many RPG's.

Back