Need an NVME SSD upgrade. I don't know anything about them

quoting an old post from reddit before amd 5000 series and consoles were released:

On the one hand, RTX I/O allows the data to be streamed to the GPU directly in its compressed form instead of being processed by the CPU. This means a given set of data is smaller and thus takes less bandwidth to transfer.

BUT, this also would mean developers might start relying on direct transfers like that a lot more since the option will be available, and thus having the extra bandwidth from 4.0 will help. Especially given this gen of consoles is going to support it, so it's going to be a feature part of all popular game engines.

Yes, you need a CPU that actually supports PCIE 4.0 lanes. Just hold off a bit on upgrading if you want Intel, their 4.0 compatible Rocket Lake chips are coming out Q1 2021. But honestly, as an Intel die-hard myself, I'm excited to see what AMD is bringing out later this month... They have already gotten close to Intel's single-core performance. If they can match or exceed it with this next series then I think I might finally switch, as they already have PCIE 4.0.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j3y36g/can_someone_explain_whether_or_not_rtx_io_will/

Nothing that you have posted indicates PCI-E 4.0 requirement. All they're saying is that PCI-E 4.0 would be ideal and/or faster, but the implementation appears to be primarily software-side. Most likely, the only hardware requirement is NVMe drives that are directly connected to the CPU by PCI-E. NVMe drives that are connected through the PCH or other controller chips won't work, which makes sense as the controller hub doesn't have direct access to the GPU.

Back