Need an idea for mounting offsets in mini ITX case after mod.

Dajinn

Weaksauce
Hello all,

I have been cutting into my bitfenix prodigy to allow for a 3 slot GPU. Because of this the motherboard will have to be pushed over which I made the necessary cuts for. However, this also means that the mounting holes on a mini ITX board will not line up with the stand offs that pre-exist in the case.

The stand offs were spot welded so they cannot be easily removed and then moved somewhere else. Also, the motherboard will now be resting over two of the holes that would have been previously used for cable management. See here:

index.php

So basically I would appreciate some ideas on how to overcome this.

Thanks!

What I did for my mITX case project was drill and tap holes for case standoffs. Don't know what kind of experience you have buts it's pretty easy. I used a #43 tap iirc. You'll have to remove those old standoffs, dremel cut off wheel should do the trick.

What I did for my mITX case project was drill and tap holes for case standoffs. Don't know what kind of experience you have buts it's pretty easy. I used a #43 tap iirc. You'll have to remove those old standoffs, dremel cut off wheel should do the trick.

Yeah, what he said would have been my first thought too.

Way to keep the modding community alive, OP! :cool:

M-ITX motherboards only have 4 mounting holes to begin with. To shift that motherboard either to right or left side of case will require moving the standoffs to a position that is currently already cut out on that motherboard tray. Therefore your best option is to create a new motherboard tray.

You can cut the current motherboard tray out and put a new one in, or you can mount another piece of material underneath the current one such that the current cable cutouts are partially covered for you to mount the standoffs thru. This assumes there is enough space between it and the PSU, and you add a small spacer to the standoffs so they are at the right level.

The only other option you have is to get some sort of spacer that is the same height as the standoffs (or slightly shorter) then mount the board with double sided tape (thick spongy kind, not scotch tape). To avoid electrical shorts you would have to cut off the current standoffs.

Last edited:
If you have some standoffs the same height, you could cut off the threads and use some J-B Weld or J-B Quick to attach them to the case where you need them.

You can easily snap the spot welded standoffs off by twisting them 90 degrees away from the case floor, using pliers.

And then grab some nylon spacers (5mm) and some 15mm 6-32 screws. Tap the case at the new screw positions as suggested above, use the spacers and screw the board into the tapped holes. A 7-64 bit will drill through that no problem.

It looks like you'll be sacrificing one of the standoffs using this method (the top left one). You can use a 5mm thick piece of acrylic across that hole just to support that corner of the board.

Back