Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

meaty

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
I sold FREDDIV an FX8350 and an Asus Crosshair Formula V. When I shipped to him I paid for insurance. He says the box was damaged when he received it but didn't take any pictures and now says the box was thrown away. He says he can't get the motherboard to work properly and thinks it may have been damaged in shipping. I can't file a claim with USPS because they want proof the item was damaged in shipping. He now wants to return the motherboard to me. I'm not sure how to handle this since I paid for insurance, he saw the damaged box when he received it and didn't take any pictures to document it and threw the box away.

As you can see I'm a long time forum member and have been using heatware (https://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25583) for a long time without any negative feedback. Please let me know what you would do in this situation. Thanks

This is a tough situation.

At the end of the day, I'd probably say NO to the return since he threw the box away, but, even then, I'm still unsure.

Sounds like buyers remorse but with that said, Paypal (if he paid this way) will side with him. Good luck!

Sounds like buyers remorse but with that said, Paypal (if he paid this way) will side with him. Good luck!

He's an ebay reseller, in fact this might be OP's proc. He definitely isn't having remorse and the motherboard may or may not be working, he obviously has experience with components though. Hopefully OP has a serial number or something of the board he sent.

This is a tough situation.

At the end of the day, I'd probably say NO to the return since he threw the box away, but, even then, I'm still unsure.

Agreed, he's very well familiar with buying/selling according to his ebay page. I don't see why he would knowingly throw away a beat up box. He obviously knows the ropes of getting items insured when shipping and this is a no brainer.

As for the OP, PayPal will definitely side with him if it comes to that. I hope he chimes in here, but judging from his post history I doubt it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
He's an ebay reseller, in fact this might be OP's proc. He definitely isn't having remorse and the motherboard may or may not be working, he obviously has experience with components though. Hopefully OP has a serial number or something of the board he sent.

Agreed, he's very well familiar with buying/selling according to his ebay page. I don't see why he would knowingly throw away a beat up box. He obviously knows the ropes of getting items insured when shipping and this is a no brainer.

As for the OP, PayPal will definitely side with him if it comes to that. I hope he chimes in here, but judging from his post history I doubt it.

I do have the serial of the board I sent. I took pictures of it and the processor before I sent them out. If he does go the paypal route I really hope no-one on here deals with him anymore because that's really shady. As experienced as he is I can't believe he didn't take pictures of the damaged box before opening it. I thought that was standard knowledge. Unless the box wasn't really damaged and something else is going on.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"I do have the serial of the board I sent. I took pictures of it and the processor before I sent them out. If he does go the paypal route I really hope no-one on here deals with him anymore because that's really shady. As experienced as he is I can't believe he didn't take pictures of the damaged box before opening it. I thought that was standard knowledge. Unless the box wasn't really damaged and something else is going on. "

I have a 100% positive heatware rating, a 100% positive ebay rating and a 100% positive feedback rating on Overclock.net.... not really too shady.

You know.... maybe you should have just spoken to me directly instead of asking a bunch of other peoples opinions on the situation.

I do know my way around hardware and as I told you initially it posted fine and I did not notice any issues until I started doing some bench testing. Also my wife has a tendency of taking all my boxes out to the "fire pit" in our back yard and burning them while I am at work.

As it turns out I tried one final thing with the board.. I did a new full clean os install. for some reason after that it picked up everything and stability improved (at least with the 8350 cpu which is what I bought in the combo which is all I would expect)

I'll still have to try the 9590 and see how it works because that is why I bought the board in the first place but if it doesn't pan out I would not try to lay that on you..

The fact that you were so concerned I was going to try to "rip you off" is really a bit disheartening. All I had expected was good communication and maybe a few ideas on things to try that I hadn't tried yet.

A little direct communication goes a long way. I just with you had responded to my messages as often as you responded here.

With electronics it's never clear as there are other components involved as well. You really have to be a reasonable person in these circumstances. FREDDIV has amazing feedback as an individual if that truly is his eBay account. I'm not saying to let anyone "get one over on you" but you have to take into consideration his previous actions.
Also based on his comment above, he's not troubling you for no reason. Maybe he can't figure it out in the end. You take a return and resell. This is not a buyer that I would take issue with. I'm sure the serial numbers will match in such case.
It's happened to me before that I couldn't get something to POST and all I needed to do was clear the CMOS by removing the battery and hitting the power button with the PSU unplugged. I had never heard of those specific steps before and it was something I had tried to fix for hours. Sometimes it helps to get another forum member to throw suggestions at you. Ultimately, we're here to help each other. Well, the lot of us are anyway...

"I do have the serial of the board I sent. I took pictures of it and the processor before I sent them out. If he does go the paypal route I really hope no-one on here deals with him anymore because that's really shady. As experienced as he is I can't believe he didn't take pictures of the damaged box before opening it. I thought that was standard knowledge. Unless the box wasn't really damaged and something else is going on. "

I have a 100% positive heatware rating, a 100% positive ebay rating and a 100% positive feedback rating on Overclock.net.... not really too shady.

You know.... maybe you should have just spoken to me directly instead of asking a bunch of other peoples opinions on the situation.

I do know my way around hardware and as I told you initially it posted fine and I did not notice any issues until I started doing some bench testing. Also my wife has a tendency of taking all my boxes out to the "fire pit" in our back yard and burning them while I am at work.

As it turns out I tried one final thing with the board.. I did a new full clean os install. for some reason after that it picked up everything and stability improved (at least with the 8350 cpu which is what I bought in the combo which is all I would expect)

I'll still have to try the 9590 and see how it works because that is why I bought the board in the first place but if it doesn't pan out I would not try to lay that on you..

The fact that you were so concerned I was going to try to "rip you off" is really a bit disheartening. All I had expected was good communication and maybe a few ideas on things to try that I hadn't tried yet.

A little direct communication goes a long way. I just with you had responded to my messages as often as you responded here.

Thanks for putting in your side. I try to keep an open mind when I sell things, but as a buyer, you should at least try to understand the sellers side. When the box gets destroyed or goes missing, it's hard for a seller to believe the best intentions from the buyer. Unfortunately too many shady people have ruined the trust the community used to bring forth on both sides. We all used to trust each other, and the real rats were weeded out with vengeance, now their seem to be too many out there.

I do agree though, too many are too quick to jump on these types of posts without trying to communicate directly.

Again I will reiterate - all I wanted was a response to my questions... I directly stated in my messages I did not want to go to paypal.

I sell as much as I buy and sometimes I have had to take a return on something I knew was working the day it was shipped (I re-install anything I sell and bench test the items pretty thoroughly the day before I package them for shipping).

I also always make sure the packaging is adequate for the item being shipped.

Most often the returns I get back are fully functional and the issue was either buyers remorse or the buyer truly could not get it to work. In any case I always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. In some cases I have received items back that are completely dead.

I insure using usps and have never had any trouble collecting insurance after the item is returned on a returned item that is non-functional.

But again all I wanted was communication to discuss what I had tried and what I might try next.

I am still waiting for a response to my message directly to the seller telling him I had resolved the issue with a fresh install of the OS.

Yes...when dealing w/ P2P sales online, the first thing you do is take a picture of the unopened box if it is damaged. I did exactly that when I received...I think it was a Titan or 780 classified GPU i cant remember. The product box on the inside was totally fine and not damaged at all though.

Here is the example ;)

But as FRED responded,"...I had resolved the issue with a fresh install of the OS", problem solved!

Last edited:
Yes...when dealing w/ P2P sales online, the first thing you do is take a picture of the unopened box if it is damaged. I did exactly that when I received...I think it was a Titan or 780 classified GPU i cant remember. The product box on the inside was totally fine and not damaged at all though.

Here is the example ;)

But as FRED responded,"...I had resolved the issue with a fresh install of the OS", problem solved!

You might want to white out the personal information.

I never accept a box that looks like it's been through hell, has a hole or what seems to be water damage.

Just me..

As for this situation, it's up to you honestly.. The buyer seems to have a good history of trades so I wouldn't really mind it issuing a refund, just me IMO.

The whole thing is that there was really no need for the thread if there had there just been open communication. After my first few messages where I ended up telling the seller I did not have the box anymore and why I heard nothing back from the seller. Not a single question on how the issue was coming along or if I had any luck with any of the "fixes" I was going to try. (Oh, and I do not have the luxury of not accepting a box - USPS leaves the box on my porch when I am not home).

In any case I never once did anything other than ask the seller how he wanted to deal with the issue I was having and I did not want to go through paypal.

I just really do not appreciate being referred to as "shady" and having a seller who has not been harmed financially in any way or scammed tell everyone "not to sell to me". Those criticisms were uncalled for no matter how he took the conversations I attempted to have with him.

Last edited:
Hmm this doesn't really look like you wanted to work with me to me.. I don't know what anyone else will think...

gWTmyRU.png

Asking what to do in X situation isn't a horrible thing to do. (I personally wouldn't have named names, but that's just me.) Being upset someone called you a name isn't going to help anything either. Your 100% name/rep is still fine so don't get upset over it. I bought a board to replace my P35 board. It was a great Asus X38 board that I couldn't wait to use. Turns out I couldn't get it to post. Took it to a local shop and PAID them to test my CPU. (They refused to test my board seeing as it had problems.) After CPU tested good I PAID to ship the Asus board seeing as it didn't work. I was mad. Didn't have the money to deal with this. But at the end of the day you need to do the things you need to do to get what you want. He doesn't sound like he's mad at you, nor did he (fully...) come in here and claim you are a horrible person. (To the OP, an apology for saying people shouldn't deal with him might help.) As an outsider though it sounds to me like the problem got fixed and everything will work out. Test it, give it a couple of days and leave some good feedback as it looks like thats where we are headed.

Based on this... i dont think Freddie is messing around..

My wife throws out and cleans up way too much too. Am also 100% heatware this could have just as easily happened to me.

Hmm this doesn't really look like you wanted to work with me to me.. I don't know what anyone else will think...

gWTmyRU.png

It seems you simply highlighted the text you wanted....

Saying I'd like to return the board if it doesn't work and telling you what I had tried and was going to continue trying to do is trying to work with you

In my only two messages regarding the request to return the board in both cases I was asking you how you wanted to deal with the issues I was having after I made suggestions as to what I would like to do. That is called trying to work with you.

After I told you I didn't have the box any more you never even responded back to me.

Well this thread needs to be closed. I won't post in it again and I doubt anyone else cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back