Need advice, what to do about RAM clearance issue?

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
I just got my new build today. Everything's great except for one detail. I got 16GB RAM, and am only using 8GB right now because one of the RAM chips won't clear the fan on my Zalman CNPS10X Performa because of the RAM heatspreaders. It looks like I have a few options. I'm thinking about putting the fan on the other side. The only problem is that it would then be about 0.5" from the exhaust fan and sucking air away from it. The two fans would be fighting and that seems nonsensical to me. I spoke with someone who recommended just disabling the exhaust fan and sucking the air out of the top with an 80mm.

I'm looking to OC this system, so I want the cooling to be as good as possible. Because of this, I really don't like the idea of not having the 120mm exhaust fan going. I think my best bet is to return the RAM and get a different kind that doesn't have tall heatspreaders.

Any comments on my predicament? Do you think cooling wouldn't suffer if I put the fan on the other side of the sink to avoid the RAM altogether?

I'm looking at these for potential replacements to the GSKILL with red heatspreaders:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139046
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148346
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104243

Thoughts?

I just got my new build today. Everything's great except for one detail. I got 16GB RAM, and am only using 8GB right now because one of the RAM chips won't clear the fan on my Zalman CNPS10X Performa because of the RAM heatspreaders. It looks like I have a few options. I'm thinking about putting the fan on the other side. The only problem is that it would then be about 0.5" from the exhaust fan and sucking air away from it. The two fans would be fighting and that seems nonsensical to me.
Well that's because it is non-sensical. Just have the fan on the other side of the HSF but pushing air to the exhaust fan. So that fan will be pulling air through the HSF rather than pushing air. You'll still get decent cooling.
I spoke with someone who recommended just disabling the exhaust fan and sucking the air out of the top with an 80mm.
80mm fan? What case do you have?

Hi Danny, the mounting brackets would not make it possible for me to put the fan on the other side that way. Is there a way to do it that I'm not aware of. I got the LianLi you suggested.

Hi Danny, the mounting brackets would not make it possible for me to put the fan on the other side that way. Is there a way to do it that I'm not aware of. I got the LianLi you suggested.

Huh. that doesn't make sense at all. Can you provide a picture showing exactly that?

Here is a photo of the fan on the wrong side. If I were to flip it around, I would be unable to use the thin brackets to attach it to the heat sink.

DSC_0491.jpg

Here is a photo of the fan on the wrong side. If I were to flip it around, I would be unable to use the thin brackets to attach it to the heat sink.

DSC_0491.jpg

Fans are directional, in this case: With that proprietary Zalman 120mm fan, the way it's been set up, the CPU fan would be blowing towards the front of the case, which goes competely against the airflow in the rest of the case. As a result, that particular setup would have delivered poor cooling performance and uneven cooling unless you turn both the front and rear fans in your case to also blow towards the front of the case.

I have dealt with this issue before in my own rig. In the end I did not use the fastening system that came with the cooler and opted for small zip ties. I just moved the fan up until it cleared the heatspreader and had it blowing in the desired direction. It has provided more than adequate cooling.

Back