Need Advice -- School, Service or Work...

Stang Man

2[H]4U
I need some advice on where I should take my career after I finish school. I'm 20 years old and a junior going towards a Bachelor's Degree in Network Security. I have about a full year left of school (3 semesters). Right now and for the rest of the summer, I'm an intern at a major aerospace defense contractor (part of a larger conglomerate of other companies) working in the eBusiness and security business units. I love my job, the company, the people I work with, and the atmosphere. I get to work in a company that makes jet engines for commercial planes and military fighter jets, and being around it all is exciting. The pay is great, even as an intern, I make more than I expected too... more than some people with Cisco or Microsoft certs.

I have several options and paths I could take my career and I am interested in hearing your experiences, opinions, and advice. After I get my B.S. degree, I can:

1. Go back to work for the company I work for as a full-time employee, and get a MS degree in Information Assurance at Norwich University...
2. Go full time to school at Indiana University of Pennsylvania in their MS Information Assurance program
3. Go full time to school at University of New Haven in their MS National Security/Information Protection and Security program.

OR

4. Join the US Air Force, attend Office Training School and train to be an Intelligence Officer or an Information Security Engineer. I hear this is not always the case (starting as an officer, and even getting to be in what you're interested in), but it would be great if I can start there because of my degree. If I do go into the AF, I should do it now while I still can, given I'm young and in good shape.

My goal is to work for the DoD, CIA, NSA, CSS, DSS, etc (anything with Intelligence or Security in the name of the 3 agency centered around MD, WV, DC)... I feel joining the Air Force would be a great way to build contacts and experience in the field, however the pay is subpar and I am no way guaranteed the position I want if I go active duty. If I continue schooling, I am racking up more education and debt at the same time, but getting an MSIA or the National Security degree could be a step towards my goal. And lastly, if I go back to work for the company I am currently interning at, I can make a lot of money, get great benefits, and free school. I can also slowly work my way towards my goal, but it may go faster/slower than I expect. Nonetheless, the aerospace defense industry is where I want to be.

Any advice or words of wisdom you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated... Thank you

Well there's plenty of work in the intel-community if you want to relocate to the beltway or Maryland area... I'd stay a contractor personally and go to work for LM, GD, or others out there.

I wouldn't stay in school full time for the MS. I'd go to work full time and do the MS so you gain experience and the MS. Join the Air Force if you want, that's really up to you. The key to working with the departments you list is your clearance. Get clearance and the MS and you're set for a very long time.

Back