Need advice re: new video card choice for HTPC

DingDingDao

Weaksauce
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new video card for my HTPC, which is connected to a Panasonic 42" HD Plasma unit. I've decided to buy ATI, mostly because it has a component video output dongle, and I've used ATI cards in my last 3 computer builds.

The question I have concerns my future uses for this card. Obviously, I want to be able to watch DVDs, and having PVR and time-delay capabilities would be nice (but not essential). More importantly, I want to game with this card, and it's important that this card be capable of playing high performance games in the future (Doom 3, HL2, etc. etc.)

I'm considering 3 options right now:

1) AIW 9600XT
2) AIW 9800Pro
3) 9800Pro, 9800XT, or X800XT + HDTV Wonder :eek:

Obviously, the first option is by far the most inexpensive, and so it is my first choice, but I'm concerned about the chip. Can the 9600XT run a Doom3 or HL2 at high resolutions (1280 x 720 at the least) at playable frame rates? Or should I just give in to my wallet-destroying desires and get the X800 and HDTV wonder? I'd like to spend less, if possible. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

the 9600XT will run HL2 and Doom3 horribly (based on what i've read and the purported system requirements)....i'd advise the 9800 Pro AIW or holding on and getting the high-end card...just my opinion.

cheers,

dave

Back