Need advice on upgrading an ancient Intel 2600k system to something Ryzen powered, no OC needed.

HeadRusch

[H]ard|Gawd
My kid has been rocking my overclocked (used to be 4.8Ghz stable but now it's more like 4.0ghz stable due to his room being hotter) Core i7 2600k......what was it..Ivy League? Ivy Town? Ivy Bridge? Whatever.......its ancient. It works, but he says the fans crank all the time, the overclocks are never stable (I've reset the thermal paste on the Noctua cooler that is sitting on it) and I think it's destined for doom. I'm thinking its time for a mid level upgrade. He plays a lot of Warzone and he plays a lot of BEAM NG, which I am thinking is a CPU physics-heavy app......but that damned intel just won't *DIE*.....maybe its time to force it's retirement and repurpose it for a MAME cab or something.

I digress: Current GPU is a 1080Ti FTW3 that will not be changing anytime soon and the monitor is a 1080p that might turn into a 1440p ultrawide soon.....

So, Team Red, generally speaking is there a Newegg package deal going on that will bundle an adequate MB/Ram/CPU + a Noctua (no watercooling) out there I should keep an eye out for? I don't want to get into overclocking on a Ryzen, they're fast enough in my opinion, but is a 2 year old 800w power supply enough to drive them?

Figured I'd toss this out there and troll for opinions. No water cooling, I'm thinking a case built for quiet with lots of 120mm fans, ....but really I'm going to ask is this upgrade tangible in the real world sense? I never got the impression that a 4.6 or even 4.0ghz Core i7 even one from ancient times was really bottlenecking a 1080Ti but am I wrong there? Would even a mid-level bump to a lower-level Ryzen provide any tangible
improvement in gaming, etc? I've done the usual hunting around online and as usual it 'varies by app'. He's a guy who games with Spotify streaming tho so I assume, bare minimum, he gets a big win there with Ryzen's cores and how it handles mult-threads better than aging Intels, and of course I'm hoping it will be a better situation with his fans and noise if I go with a decent case.

I personally run a Fractal Silent, and I saw a pretty similar looking one for about $80 bucks from Antec that looked a little more reasonable than the $130 for the current gen Fractals.....

Just trolling opinions, happy to hear what you lot think. Thanks in advance if you feel like chiming in.

...oh I should say, I run an 8700k # 5Ghz on all cores. Ahem...<glances around to see whos looking>.....would it be....ehhh......smarter, let's say for the sake of argument, if I were to pursue a high end Ryzen and MB combo and just kick this 8700k up his way.......<ahem>.....its also worth considering.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool, thank you, whats the disadvantage of going with a 450mb versus a 550mb for Ryzen 7 if you happen to know....I've been doing some reading and I can spend more on a different board for all the usual reasons that kinda don't matter to me since the next upgrade would (as is so often the case now a days) require a new board/ram anyhow.........

Wait for new intel processors, there will probably be another series this year.
The i7 875k is a great processor and the 2600k is much better in performance.
Ideal gpu for 2600k is gtx 1660 super,sell gtx 1080ti.
Avoid amd cpu because you will not be so satisfied(if you come from intel and have never used amd) and you will spend a lot of money for a new build, the minimum I would recommend is ryzen 5600x for gaming.
I also recommend intel 11500.

Recommendation from me is intel i5 11500 and some better b560 board if you buy now, everything else is a waste of money, and if you don't run out of money then feel free to throw on amd.
For gpu, sell gtx 1080ti as soon as it is still valid and buy amd rx 6700xt, intel cpu + amd gpu is an ideal combination.
Nvidia rtx gpu has problems with amd processors.

the psu is fine
i went with a ryzen 3000 series and a b550 board that was on sale. this could be considered a 'budget' gaming build by todays standards but i am a casual gamer at best and it would be a fair upgrade (i was rocking an i5 2500k before)

With amd it will only have problems, he wrote in the title that he doesn't need oc so in my opinion intel is the best solution, finger in ear and drive.
Gpu is the most important item, let him sell the gtx 1080ti while it is still worth something and buy an amd rx 6700xt.

Do you ever plan on an in place upgrade to a newer processor in that board? Obviously you've used your current board for a while, so it might be an option for you later. If you think that's an option at all, buy AMD.

The advantage of the AMD setup is that you can throw in a 16C/32T processor in it later. With an Intel setup, the best you're looking at is a 10C/20T 10900k or a 8c/16T 11900k. Neither one of those processors is lighting the world on fire (well, literally they might be, but not figuratively).

The 3700x isn't a bad processor, but at this point, you're still paying almost retail for a 2 year old processor even with that "combo" deal. The 11500 like pitcurina says is probably a good bang for the buck processor (I'd say comparable to your 8700k...slightly lower clockspeed, but more IPC), BUT they are MIA just as bad as Ryzen 5XXX processors. I can't find a single one that is near MSRP. Even the 11400 is $210.

BLUF

Keep the 1080 Ti, currently $330 3060 cards are all sold out and are being scalped for $900+. You will pay more than what you got for your 1080 Ti to sidegrade and a lot more for an upgrade.

If gaming only, I would push for a 5600x, maybe even a 5800x if you can swing the extra $150.

You can find some decent 450 boards that support the 5000 series, and maybe (purely theoretical) the 6000 series. The 550 boards support pcie 4.0 (no real tangible benefits for your carry over hardware/gaming build), and other feature but at higher premium (starting price is around $180?)

800W PSU should be fine, some newer GPUs require 3x 8 pin, so make sure yours can support it if you plan on buying a newer video card. Also if you have a second 8-pin CPU cable, do not use it. CPU pin/PCIE are pinned differently.

I have a 5600x, D15, 32G/3200Mh Ram, Gaming X 1080 Ti, on a x470 Croshsir. I can run some benches if you want

Do you ever plan on an in place upgrade to a newer processor in that board? Obviously you've used your current board for a while, so it might be an option for you later. If you think that's an option at all, buy AMD.

The advantage of the AMD setup is that you can throw in a 16C/32T processor in it later. With an Intel setup, the best you're looking at is a 10C/20T 10900k or a 8c/16T 11900k. Neither one of those processors is lighting the world on fire (well, literally they might be, but not figuratively).

The 3700x isn't a bad processor, but at this point, you're still paying almost retail for a 2 year old processor even with that "combo" deal. The 11500 like pitcurina says is probably a good bang for the buck processor (I'd say comparable to your 8700k...slightly lower clockspeed, but more IPC), BUT they are MIA just as bad as Ryzen 5XXX processors. I can't find a single one that is near MSRP. Even the 11400 is $210.
B&H has stock of 11400 and 11500

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/CPUs/ci/19865/N/3835434461?sort=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&filters=fct_a_cpu-socket_3756:lga-1200,fct_brand_name:intel,fct_compatible-cpu_6444:core-i5-11th-gen|core-i7-11th-gen

However, Silicon Lottery regularly sells 11600k which don't overclock spectacularly, below MSRP:
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/intel-rocket-lake

Appreciate all the feedback, still trying to decide. I realize the 3700 is yesterdays news, but all things considered it seems to have the chops from a CPU perspective to hang for while if the state of muti-threaded CPU impact from gaming is any indication...I mean let's be real, the 2600 is still hanging until you get into the few games that are really branching those loads out and there aren't a ton that, ahem, matter.

I digress, the thought of the 65w TDP on the 3700 is also kind of interesting, as I stated above the thermals are a bit of a problem and its preventing the overclocks that I used to run on that 2600 from holding reliably during the summer, when even with the A/C going that PC being on and ramped up to 4.5 or 4.7ghz (where it topped out), become iffy. The other thing I hate is that B67 (P67, whatever) motherboard has this nasty habit of
going into endless windows reboots when the CPU overclock can cause it to bluescreen, something I haven't had to deal with but was a known problem with that board and that processor back in the day, hence another reason why I keep the O/C low or in its current state, turned off...leaving 15-20fps off the table for most of the games.

$300 bucks for a CPU, Cooler and MB is honestly pretty cheap even if the board is a 450. No, I'd never throw a higher core count CPU in there, for $300 I don't need to upgrade, I'd simply buy fresh and current when the time is right....

thx for the discussion.

Since a new GPU is nowhere on the horizon (cuz duh), the 1080 Ti has to hang in a little bit longer.

Appreciate all the feedback, still trying to decide. I realize the 3700 is yesterdays news, but all things considered it seems to have the chops from a CPU perspective to hang for while if the state of muti-threaded CPU impact from gaming is any indication...I mean let's be real, the 2600 is still hanging until you get into the few games that are really branching those loads out and there aren't a ton that, ahem, matter.

I digress, the thought of the 65w TDP on the 3700 is also kind of interesting, as I stated above the thermals are a bit of a problem and its preventing the overclocks that I used to run on that 2600 from holding reliably during the summer, when even with the A/C going that PC being on and ramped up to 4.5 or 4.7ghz (where it topped out), become iffy. The other thing I hate is that B67 (P67, whatever) motherboard has this nasty habit of
going into endless windows reboots when the CPU overclock can cause it to bluescreen, something I haven't had to deal with but was a known problem with that board and that processor back in the day, hence another reason why I keep the O/C low or in its current state, turned off...leaving 15-20fps off the table for most of the games.

$300 bucks for a CPU, Cooler and MB is honestly pretty cheap even if the board is a 450. No, I'd never throw a higher core count CPU in there, for $300 I don't need to upgrade, I'd simply buy fresh and current when the time is right....

thx for the discussion.

Since a new GPU is nowhere on the horizon (cuz duh), the 1080 Ti has to hang in a little bit longer.
3700 is Zen 2, which is still a solid architecture. PS5 and Xbox SX have Zen 2.

You will likely lose a bit of gaming performance at 1080p. But at 1440p with a 1080ti, you probably lose almost nothing. And multi-threading capability is still great, for productivity tasks. Or if you want to do something like stream, while gaming.

This isn't my rig, it's my son's, and before I commit $$$ to an upgrade I figured I'd ask here, he's into streaming his spotify and such while gaming (I'm old school, I close every window/app/tab before I launch a game) and the main complaint is the noise and heat and the fact that several times I've had to spend hours trying to get Windows to re-start in safe mode because the overclocks (setting them lower and lower) would cause windows to go into a boot loop, this was a common problem with the Asus board that I'm running on that thing. Mind you, we're talking about 10 year old caps and a chip that ran at 4.7ghz for most of its life, now living in a room that is ambient-temp-wise hotter than where it lived before, so we keep backing down the overclock speed and as such he's losing performance, pretty sure it's at the stock 3.6 or 3.8 now with no overclock or overvolts.

With everything being 10 years old now, I'm exploring my options for "better than a lateral move" upgrades on the CPU/RAM/MB front, knowing full well that the 2600k for *games* at a 4.7oc is still, with a few exceptions, still perfectly as viable as a brand new 3700x.......but since he streams music while gaming, and does voice chat, well, I figured its only a matter of time before a component on the motherboard or the chip itself finally decides to eat itself, just trying to be pro-active here.

Understand I'd be going for Ryzen 9 but the prices and avail are not there......considering the performance upgrade you get over Zen2 anyhow. The upcoming stuff looks impressive but that's unobtanium at this point and when it drops, Ryzen 3 will still command a premium I figure well into the tail-end of 2021.

Have you looked at the Ryzen 5 5600X or the Ryzen 7 5800X? You can find the 5600X's for less than $300 and the 5800X's for about $400 to $420. If you go the Ryzen 3000 series route, I would check the [H]ard forum and other sources for gently used CPU's at this point as retailers want too much.

You could buy my 3950x from me and slap it on a B550 motherboard and roll with the 1080 Ti.

If he hasn't changed from 2600k then he won't now.
i7 11700f + z590
In a year ddr5 memory and new better processors with a new socket will be released and everything will be turned upside down again so that changing from 5600x to 5800x does not mean anything to you.

go the amd route b550 will have pcie gen 4 support if you need it if not b450 and like others have said 5600x is best option. ddr5 pcie gen 5 wont mean a thing new ddr standards are not always super amazing when they first come out. ddr4 on other hand is in its prime its as fast as it can be and as stable and highest capacity's. if going amd go for 3600mhz cl 16 mem from gskill itll be most compatible and work easiest with xmp/docp

Just one thing, for both amd and intel processors you need a decent and good air cooler or water cooler, without that nothing,and a well ventilated case.

If he hasn't changed from 2600k then he won't now.
i7 11700f + z590
In a year ddr5 memory and new better processors with a new socket will be released and everything will be turned upside down again so that changing from 5600x to 5800x does not mean anything to you.

That's because there really wasn't anything he could drop into his old computer anyway. A 3770k was only a slight upgrade. Moving from a 5600x to a 5900x/5950x in the future would be a lot different if only because the significant increase in cores.

If you're looking at a 11700 anyway, then there's really no reason not to also look at AMD. It certainly seems like the AMD platform will age better due to the processors available for the socket.

Either platform will allow for excellent gaming paired with your 1080ti. If budget is a major factor just go with the cpu/mb combo that hits your the wallet the lightest and know that you have upgrade options down the road for both. If you have access to a microcenter or have a friend that can drop in and pick up a cpu and mb for you your golden. Their combo deals are pretty much always your best bet.
Personally id go with either a 10850k/z490 or 590 combo or a 5800x/x550 or 570 combo and pick up a solid set of whatever ddr4 c16-18 3600+ is on sale at amazon or newegg and call it a day. Particularly if your thinking about passing your current rig onto the kids ;D its a win win!

In a year ddr5 memory and new better processors with a new socket will be released and everything will be turned upside down
Why wait one year when you could wait 5 and get rdxgddr75dxr with GTZ. /S.
Buy the best you can afford now, and play on.

One more thing, if you are thinking about overclocking your Ryzen, it’s best to just let PBO do that for you.

For my chip, it didn’t matter which video/tutorial/testing I did. My best performance was always letting PBO do its thing. Even then, the 5-10c increase on temps was not worth the 3% increase in performance. I even spent time trying to find a - offset o CPU voltage with PBO enabled... ideally shooting for close to same performance with great temps.

Don’t expect 4.8 all core on air. Hell, maybe you can achieve it, I’ve only had the 5600x for a week. Everything I tried on the 3900x led me to believe it was better to leave it alone.

I was able to hit 5.1 on my deluded 7700K, it was much easier to OC Intel vs AMD (due to the amount of time I was on blue’s platform). Had a long term 4.7 GHz on my 2500K before that.

I guess what I am trying to say is, do not chase clock speed as if you were rocking an Intel CPU. Two completely different ways of OC’ing.

Look here for some info, https://hardforum.com/threads/adventures-in-2700x-overclocking.1959061/

Every video I've ever seen on Ryzen overclocking has been "Thermals and Power Draw spikes, clock speed increases 100 to 200mhz, and you get 2-5fps real world in games"....so never really paid much attention to Ryzen OC beyond "set it in the bios and walk away".....Now, overclocking intels from 800mhz to 1.2ghz++ with a single entry in the bios made perfect sense to me, and I got lucky with the 2600k which lasted all the way to my current 8700k@5, but with Ryzens I never really saw the bang for your buck in dicking around with overclocking, but I totally get why people would. In this case, I wouldn't bother, it would be 'fast enough'.

Nice thing is if I do this I still wind up with a spare 2600k I can repurpose for something......what? No idea...but...something.... :D

Still on the fence.....

Back