Need advice on SATA Drivers, Hosts, etc.

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Intel SSD, model: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC
Here is a link to the specs page from intel: http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/ssd/pdfs/X25-M_34nm_DataSheet.pdf

I have been running Win 7 on this SSD in a multi HDD system for the past few years and haven't had any problems.

I lately got some type of virus that eats up my memory even when idle (csrss.exe, winlogon.exe, nvxdsync.exe, nvvsvc.exe). I've googled these and nowhere can I find a way to remove them. Whatever, worm or trojan it is disabled my Malwarebytes. I tried running a scan on Malwarebytes, NOD32, and Spybot S&D. None of them turned up anything, but I know these aren't the normal processes that exist from windows and Nvidia because I searched and found them in wrong locations, also, they can't be ended and have no description in Task Manager.

However, I digress. So I want to reformat and do a fresh install of Win7 64bit on my intel SSD. I was reading this guide http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html

So I started searching the asus sight for updated drivers for my Rampage III Formula.
I found 3 different names of SATA drivers:
1. Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

2. Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.7.1001 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL)

3. Marvell 9128 Controller Driver Disk for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7.

I have no idea which one of these I should use. I'm quite confused with all the host controllers, drivers, SATA types, etc. Its all quite overwhelming. I was hoping you professionals could guide me in the right direction.

1. Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Use this one and make sure you have the SSD connected to an Intel port.

Ok again I'm a little confused.

I checked my mobo manual for the storage specifications and it reads:

ICH10R Southbridge:
- 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s Ports
- Intel Matrix Storage Technology supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10

Jmicron 363 controller:
- 2 x SATA 3,0 Gb/s port (1 x SATA On-the-Go, 1 x power eSATA port)

Marvell 9128 PCIe SATA 6 Gb/s controller
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports

Since my SSD does not support 6 Gb/s that rules out the Marvell controller.
I'm assuming the Jmicron controller is for the external SATA ports?
Which leaves the ICH10R Southbridge. Why do I not want to use the driver for the Intel Matrix? Is that only a driver for RAID?

Since my SSD does not support 6 Gb/s that rules out the Marvell controller.

Not really. SATA is backwards compatible. However even if you had a SATA III SSD you should always use the Intel ports. Jmicron, asmedia and Marvel controllers should never ever be used with any SSD.

Maybe I should just shell out the cash for a new SATA III drive so I can use my 6 gb/s bus for windows and a few of my commonly used programs.

Yeah but my Intel ports don't support SATA III, they are only 3 Gb/s..

Which means I'm not buying a SATA III drive if the controllers on my mobo suck for it.

And I'm not buying a new mobo so I guess I'm sticking with my current SSD ;)

Thank for your input by the way!

Last edited:
Ok so I ran into a snag.

When I reinstalled win7 and tried to install the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026

It told me something to the effect of "Your system does not meet the requirements"
Anyone know why this might be happening or another SATA driver I could use with my motherboard?
I got the driver directly from the ASUS downloads page for my motherboard, so I'm not sure what the conflict is.

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS? It should be enabled before installing Windows but there is a workaround that allows you to enable AHCI without a reinstall.

When I reinstalled win7 and tried to install the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026

It told me something to the effect of "Your system does not meet the requirements"
Anyone know why this might be happening or another SATA driver I could use with my motherboard?
I got the driver directly from the ASUS downloads page for my motherboard, so I'm not sure what the conflict is.

Back