Need advice on new RAM

kilgore777

Gawd
Folks,

I am going to go with Vista 64 and upgrade my RAM.

Right now, I have CORSAIR 2GB Xtreme PC2-6400. 6400 (800 mhz) is the fastest RAM my MOBO supports.

I am going to go with 4 more GB, eventually going to 8.

Although the Corsair RAM works OK, I have read about it getting RMA'd a lot (I had to RMA my first kit). I am thinking about going with another brand - what do you think the most solid performer would be? Any suggestions on what to go with specifically would be appreciated.

Also, would the latency of the new RAM have to match my current RAM (which is 5-5-5-18)?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Regardless of what brand you go with, keep in mind it can be hit or miss mixing and matching different brands/speeds/densities etc of memory.

Also, I am assuming you are running a 64bit OS?

So it is best to stick with the same make and model to be on the safe side?

Yes if you can but, you can't do that in this case since you are buying a 4GB kit. There's virtually no way a 4GB kit is going to have the same PCB, SPD, and ICs.

It certainly won't hurt to try to run your existing kit with your new kit to get 6GB. But, I would not suggest buying a new 2GB kit unless you can EXACTLY match your existing kit.

Mike,

Thanks - good to know! I guess my other option would be to ditch my old RAM and start new.... I don't know if it would be worth it as pricey RAM isn't really the greatest "bang for buck" when it come to PCs....

DDR2 is absolutely dirt cheap these days. You'll probably never see it cheaper. Once the bulk supplies of it dry up, it will go back up in price some like DDR did. It's a good time to upgrade memory if you are sticking with DDR2. Good luck with whatever brand you choose.

mobo manufacturers publish a memory compatibility list. The manual that came with your mobo usually includes such a list.

Mike,

Does your power supply have anything to do with the increased electrical load on the memory controller? In other words, my system's power supply is overkill (1,000 watts). Will this likely be less of an issue for me than someone with an underpowered PSU, or will I still need to tweak the BIOS? I am kinda nooby when it comes to BIOS and I don't like to fiddle with it unless absolutely necessary.

If your system is underpowerd, you can easily have stability issues and more when OCing than at stock. It may or may not directly translate to the chipset specifically. Most likely the entire MOBO and therefore the CPU would flaky, not just the memory controller, as the MOBO does it's own voltage regulation.

Thanks for your help, everyone (especially Mike).

I have decided to go with the 2 X 2 gb solution after reading up on the memory controller issue (I am a wus when it comes to anything that could damage my MOBO...).

I will still be doubling my RAM (after upgrading to Vista 64-bit), so that should help out nicely.

I wish my MOBO could handle 2 X 4 gb.... but oh well....

Back