Need advice on hsf/cooler setup for AMD 4600 X2 S939

seeknowsage

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased an X2 4600 from another member through hardforum and have generally been very happy with it. However, when I purchased it, I also purchased a Zalman 9700 through newegg as my Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon was not rated for this processor.

After reading some reviews, I was (very) disappointed in spending $70 for this cooler as it performed nearly identically to the stock hsf that came with this cpu AND the unrated Big Typhoon. Below I've included a list of the setups I've tried thus far.

Given these nearly identical performances, can anyone suggest anything I maybe overlooking when mounting these coolers? The stock hsf seems to make excellent contact with the cpu given its locking mechanism, but the other two are somewhat big and bulky and therefore harder to secure. I've followed their instructions for mounting to the letter for my setup, however. Additionally, I am NOT looking to do any overclocking with it - I just want it to run cooler, especially considering the amount I've spent in an effort to achieve this goal. (=

Also, I am using the thermal grease that came with the 9700, though I did purchase Arctic Silver 5 at the time I bought the 9700. I have previously tried this with the Zalman 9700, though I didn't keep exact records of my temperatures. (Now I am maintaining an excel sheet in which I try to reproduce the exact environmental conditions for each of the temperature cases listed below.)

Stock HSF
Idle: 44C
Load: 54C
Note: Excellent contact, extremely quiet

Zalman 9700
Idle: 42-43C
Load: 52C
Note: Ran without Fan Mate (Fan ~2700 rpm), comparatively loud

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Idle: 43C
Load: 53C
Note: Difficult to mount, quiet

(Load was evaluated/tested by running STALKER at max settings.)

Note: After looking around, I found that this processor is rated for a max temp of 65C. I will, of course, proceed to test these setups with Arctic Silver 5 in the immediate future.

Further note: I obtained these temperatures with ASUS PC Probe v1.00.43. They tend to agree with those temperatures provided by Hardware Sensors Monitor.

Back