Need advice on access point with switch (but without the rest of the router features)

duh FooL

n00b
I run my router in a closet that's more or less centrally located in a single story house.

There are about three panels between the closet and this room, but the kitchen is in between, so there's fridge if you were to draw a straight line between the router and the playroom.
I have a hardwire connection to the kid's playroom and is on the upper part of the wall, since it's behind a wall mounted TV.
I want to increase the signal strength in the area since WFH is a thing nowadays and I'd like to be able to work in this room at times.
I wanted to know if there's a switch/AP combo that has a low profile and can be placed similar to how some of the APs that I've seen.

Usually, I'd just grab a router and place it in AP mode, but I'm hoping that maybe... just maybe, there's something available for this type of use case.
I don't want to have to try to plug four items on the outlet behind the TV (since I'm dealing with limited clearance already).
Also, a lot of the routers nowadays are massive, whereas the ceiling/wall mounted APs are low profile and have no antennae sticking out.

I'm even open to replacing my current router (R7800) with one that supports POE to help address the power plug headache.
The reason I want something that has a switch is I know the AP will need a hard wire connection and I think I may add a gaming console in the room, as my kid is getting old enough to be interested in them.
I do not want to run the consoles via WiFi (preference).

You have any coax in that room? Moca might be a possible solution. The other idea I would have is to just use the one ethernet you have to put the unifi in-wall and let everything connect wirelessly (although it would make sense to still wire the tv).

Thank you for the suggestions.

UniFi HD looks like an option if I end up re-wiring the house during a remodel, since it requires its own wall plate and my current setup has the wall plate sharing the RJ45, HDMI, and co-ax connectors.

I may just use a PoE switch and run an access point to the ceiling as BlueLineSwinger suggested.
At least I can hide the power supply for the switch behind the TV and paint/tape over the ethernet cable to the AP.

MoCA isn't ideal, since it is another powered device, which I want to avoid.

Yeah, the HD In-Wall model won't work if the plate is also occupied by other connectors. If you do ever end up doing a rewire, ceiling-mount APs are the better option for WiFi, though. The HD In-Wall is really more about taking advantage of existing wall wiring for quick-and-easy WiFi expansion.

Some of the Unifi APs come with a PoE injector when buying the single retail SKU (i.e., not the multipacks), so a PoE switch may not be required.

If possible, I'd run ethernet for the room's ceiling-mount AP from the router. Generally better to run everything from one point, instead of daisy-chaining from router-to-wall-to-ceiling.

MOCA actually works very well (assuming the coax used for cable TV or dark, not satellite). It's a good fallback in instances where running another ethernet line isn't viable.

something like this should work exactly as you need. Essentially it is an AP with an extra LAN port

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
something like this should work exactly as you need. Essentially it is an AP with an extra LAN port
Damn, missed the notification for this response and just read it.
Looks like what I need, though calling it a WAN port makes me want to read manual.

Read the manual and from what I can tell, it's basically what I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back