Need advice on a sale

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 96510

OK guys, I need some guidance here. I sold a motherboard to another member. Everything has been good with the transaction thus far. After receiving the board, the buyer informed me of the system not booting with 2 DIMMs installed. This was not a problem when I used the board, but I offered for him to return it and I'll test it and give a refund. Upon receipt of the board I noticed damaged pins in the socket. I've emailed the buyer with a pic of the damage. I want to make sure I handle this properly. Any guidance is appreciated

Update. Buyer states the pins were not damaged prior to his shipping the board back. That absolves me of damage to the board. I think a USPS insurance claim should be filed. What do you think?

They might honor the claim, but I honestly think the buyer screwed the pooch! Always take multiple photos of the pins.

If the pins weren't damaged, I would have just refunded him. But now I have a damaged board.

In my experience if a board is damaged in shipment its normally damage in the corners because of poor packaging. The only way pins could have been bent in shipping is if something else was moving around freely inside the package and it some how landed on the pins but I assume you covered the pins with something? And I know you to be the type that wouldn't assess a board and send it off as fully functional with bent pins. That leads me to believe that a mistake was made by the buyer or possibly someone else the buyer had helping him/her. Its a difficult issue but I'm assuming it was all done via paypal? In that case if the buyer did open a dispute and provide proof that he returned the item to you they will likely force the refund. So it kinda doesn't matter at this point. Prolly just gotta suck it up and give the refund. Count your losses, consider it a hard lesson learned! and try to straighten the pins enough to render it fully functional for resell at a loss as a board that had to have a couple pins straightened. How badly are the pins bent? And how many are bent?

I was the buyer. I told wolfofsin that the pins were not damaged when I shipped it back. However, I did not inspect the pins thoroughly--I know, I should have. I was surprised that the board was shipped without a CPU socket cover, and I did not do my due diligence in doing a thorough inspection with photos. I merely installed the board in my system and tried to boot it up. The system would not boot--the CPU fan would spin up, then down... repeating over and over.

I can assure wolfosin that I did nothing to damage the board while in my possession. I will admit that I shipped it back in the same method that it was shipped to me (i.e., in a box with peanuts without a CPU cover). Rather than have this turn into one of those back and forth drawn out postings in the "tips/tricks & trolls" section, I absolve wolfofsin of having to refund anything. I'll just chalk it up as a lesson learn--I should do a thorough inspection with photos. Please, just throw the board out.

Since it appears I am the only one acting as mediator for this discussion tonight... I would have to say that both parties should have done their due diligence in regards to the pins and whether or not they were bent before or after arrival. Because I cannot clearly see when it happened or who may have been mistaken about them going out unbent... I think a compromise should be made and a partial refund of half of the purchase price should be given to the buyer and the seller and buyer can both consider this a lesson learned.

Next time take clear photos of the pins during packaging and write down your screen name and the date on a piece of paper that can clearly be seen in the photos of the pins. The buyer should also know to request these photos before purchasing a board in the future and double check the pins upon arrival at his home before he goes any further...

That's my opinion : ).

Let first say, I don't believe Engr62 was in any way dishonest in our dealings. I think we found ourselves in an unfortunate situation where it's tough to know what is a fair resolution. I don't want either one of us to get the short end of the stick. That is why I posted here.

Kuurus, thank you for your input. In the interest of fairness, I will leave it in Engr62's court. He can PM me how he wants to resolve this.

Never ship/store/move/touch an lga board without a pin cover or cpu installed. Those things are super sensitive.

Never ship/store/move/touch an lga board without a pin cover or cpu installed. Those things are super sensitive.

Yeah even cutting out a cardboard piece and taping it on there does the trick. Those pins actually might be repairable, PM me OP if you are just going to toss it.

I purchased a board from Newegg for a build I was asked to do. When it arrived I didn't even open it as the cover had come off and wasn't going to deal with bent pins, so I just returned it. Not worth the potential headache.

I once made the mistake of selling something to somebody in Puerto Rico. It was fairly high end Radeon card (can't remember the model). I warned him that you need multiple high power connections from the PSU (that is, this isn't something for an amateur with a Wal*mart PC).

He said, the card didnt' work and wanted a refund. So, he shipped it back to me. Sigh.

Just the risks of doing business with people.

Oddly enough, (time passes) and I ended up giving the card away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back