Need advice on a new 20" display

DoomRulz

Gawd
I'm in the market for a new 20" LCD right now, primarily for gaming. I'm looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP b/c I know Dell has a good rep amongst gamers for the quality of their monitors, but I'm wondering if there are other alternatives.

I know Viewsonic and Samsung tend to be pretty good as well...

Suggestions?

You have pretty much 3 choices unless you want to go TN-panel, which i think are simply subpar, no matter what you do with it, also for gaming since i truely believe that the 2-6ms difference in response time is not worth losing the 8bit true color advantage and better blacks and viewing angles.

1. NEC 20wmgx2 (~$500); S-IPS

2. Dell 2007WFP (~$340-400); S-IPS or P-MVA (Lottery)

3. Acer AL2051W (~$200); P-MVA

That's the order of pricing and also the order of which one i would order if money was no object.

The Dell is very good but go with the Acer if money is short.

It's a TN panel. I would not buy another TN panel for the life of me.

Because they have washed out grays, bad color reproduction and horrible viewing angles. Most of them have terrible backlight bleeding as well. The only thing that TNs have going for them is the slight price advantage and the slighty better response time.
It's as usual. You get what you pay for.

You have pretty much 3 choices unless you want to go TN-panel, which i think are simply subpar, no matter what you do with it, also for gaming since i truely believe that the 2-6ms difference in response time is not worth losing the 8bit true color advantage and better blacks and viewing angles.

That's the order of pricing and also the order of which one i would order if money was no object.
I agree with this list

This list has a glaring error, the Dell lotto is betwen an S-IPS or a S-PVA, if it was an MVA i dont think the lotto situation would be as bad, there arent enough MVA 20" widescreens as it is, since the Viewsonic VX2025 got discontinued and replace with downgraded crappy TN models (still dont know why they did that).

ooops, you're right. S-PVA it is with the Dell (if you're one of the unlucky ones).

A good/true 8 bit TN panel will put any PVA or MVA panel to shame. The worst panel for viewing angles is the MVA.

MVA and PVA panels not only have the worst viewing angles (move your head several inches from one side to the other and the screen changes color), but are unable to show detail in dark areas; and they are the worst for back light bleed issues as well. There are some modern 8-bit TN panels having lateral viewing angles almost as good as an A-IPS panel.

The older and cheaper TN panels are crap; but, there are some good ones out there-- particularly for gaming.

If you require the best, then spend the money for an A-IPS; otherwise, search for a quality 8-bit TN panel.

Sorry buddy but they don't make 8 bit TN panels. And yes they do suck that bad. I had a w2207 for a while but ditched it although my Samsung 204B was pretty good.

Well the panel debating aside, I appreciate the advice...I'll most likely end up getting the 2007 WFP UltraSharp. Gotta wait and see though, if Dell keeps up the sales throughout August, I might get lucky and buy a 2407-HC instead.

Back