Need advice on a DELL 2405fpw

dahman

n00b
Guys, I'm in the market for a widescreen LCD. I was wanting to know if I will have problems gaming on a Dell 24" at its native resolution? I am running a Dual core 4400 and a 7900 GTX. I play FPS mostly. Can I play on this monitor at lower resolutions if needed without sacrificing image quality? The other monitor I;m considering is the Samsung 215TW. Not sure which way to go. Oh, I currently have a 204B so you know what I am upgrading from. Thanks in advance.

You will likely on some newer games have to turn some settings down. Also games don't look that bad in lower res as the windows desktop.

I've had this monitor since early this year, and I adore it.
I haven't noticed any problems at ANY resolution, frankly.
I'm not a huge gamer and I don't play, like, FPS's a lot. But on high-end games like MSFlightsim, it works like a dream.
I doubt you'll be disappointed, though I've heard tell of some trouble with dead pixels, etc. Not seen any of that myself, though.

Is dells current sale price of 747 about the best price I'm going to find?

Check ebay, probably $650 or more.

The 2405 vs 2407, not a gigantic difference.

If you are at all picky there are a few things that might annoy you when trying to play FPS games on an LCD:

Dark levels are poor. Games like Doom III or Prey don't look as good.

You might notice tearing in games when VSync is disabled since you are capped at 60Hz.

You might notice the 20-50ms "mouse lag" that LCD such as this have.

Just some things to be aware of.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed you already have an LCD. Well, maybe this will help you anyway :)

Just a warning: stay away from the 2407. It has a ton of issues that need to be worked out.

I have an infamous 2407 and love it. Scaling in games does not look bad. I usually preffer to turn down details. The higher res shows more detail and is worth a little less eye candy

Im currently gaming on a 2405 with a 4400x2, and a X1800XT. My rig runs all my games at native perfectly, BF2, Cod2, Fear, Quake 4, Guild Wars. I do sacrifice AA in some games (such as Fear and Cod2) for some more frames, however all the regular settings are set to High in all games...

My biggest problem is the field of vision (my filed of vision). It's too big IMHO unless you like being taken by surprise! Easier to game on the small 15" 1920x1200 panel on my laptop (get to see it all).

Just my opinion.... other than that, display has great darks (IMHO). It's got super high contrast (too high... turn your brightness all the way down).

I love my 2405FPW, I'm actually going to get another one soon. The picture quality/widescreen are great!

No dead pixels either (thank god) and the price couldn't get any better now, I believe it's around a fair 599-700 bucks. The price may be even lower if you check on Ebay.

For FPS games, the 2405FPW might tear a bit but anything else it's great.

I had a 2405 and it sucked bad (sorry all of you who like it). The mouse lag is legendary and well documented. If you are playing a fast FPS game (UT/UT2K4, CS..), you'll suffer. It is too bright. It bothered my eyes in a dark room. Viewing angles are, well, pitiful. Colours start getting weird hues ~20 degrees of centre. It's one of the worse LCDs you can get.

Well.. apart from not being able react fast enough... I think the 2405fpw is an excellent monitor. Upstairs we use it via component video connected to a portable DVD player... excellent quality. I use the monitor for public computer demos (because of its size).

My main monitor is still my trusty first gen Samsung 710MP (the one with the touch buttons).

I love my 2405's but I bought a ViewSonic 922 for games ( I have 2x2405's ) When I play games like FPS's at the native 1920x1200 I get refresh lines. They were not bothing me much. But when I play Titan Quest I get TERRIBLE refresh lines. Also I notice MMO's started making me dizzy. Now I use the Dells for everything but video heavy games. From what I have found you can force a high refresh rate on the Dell with "Special" overclocking type software. But there are many warnings of toasting your monitor. All that said ... just an FYI... the LCD screen is a Samsung in the Dell 2405. So may wanna check if its the same one your looking at from Samsung.

DusanV said:
It's one of the worse LCDs you can get.

Myself, and thousands of other people, disagree.

You obviously didn't like yours for whatever reasons (bad monitor, hardware problems, not set up correctly, bad cables or any combination of these)

But to say it is one of the worst LCD's you can get is just plain wrong.

hhookk said:
Myself, and thousands of other people, disagree.

You obviously didn't like yours for whatever reasons (bad monitor, hardware problems, not set up correctly, bad cables or any combination of these)

But to say it is one of the worst LCD's you can get is just plain wrong.

QFT.

I've seen many people smash this monitor down b.c they got a bad batch. If you get a proper model (Rev. A01 is usually golden) then you'll love it.

Back