Need advice on 5850 - Manufacturers

kilgore777

Gawd
Folks,

Excuse my noobishness.... I am looking to get a HD 5850 to replace my deceased 8800GTX. Newegg has them from the following manufacturers:

HIS
Gigabyte
Sapphire
XFX
Diamond
ASUS
MSI
PowerColor
VisionTek

Of these the 2 that stand out to me are the ASUS (and you get a free coupon for Dirt2 with that one) and XFX (some say "Double Lifetime Warranty".... whatever the hell that means).

I am looking for a stable card and I am not interested in OCing. If anyone has experience (good or bad) with the manufacturers above, I would like to hear about them. Also, it there are any that I didn't mention, please edify me.

Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated.

xfx = is the best of them all. Double lifetime warranty means that YOU ge a lifetime warranty and if you decide to SELL the NEW owner gets a lifetime warranty as well

HIS = Good Company
Gigabyte = Cant speak for Gigabyte but I hear there RMA is terrible
Sapphire = Good company

PowerColor = Crap
Diamond = Crap
VisionTek = Crap

xfx = is the best of them all. Double lifetime warranty means that YOU ge a lifetime warranty and if you decide to SELL the NEW owner gets a lifetime warranty as well
I'll second that. Since I started buying and selling parts, I find it hard to look at a non-XFX vid card seriously because I want that extra warranty, either coming or going.

If you're not interested in OCing XFX would be the only way to go.

If you were ASUS would have also been an option (voltage tweak that doesn't void the warranty).

HIS = Good Company
Gigabyte = Cant speak for Gigabyte but I hear there RMA is terrible
Sapphire = Good company

PowerColor = Crap
Diamond = Crap
VisionTek = Crap

This is pretty much what I expected. And thanks for explaining the double lifetime waranty - good deal!

Thanks to the other people who responded as well. I am going to go for an XFX.

Cheers!

yeah you cant go wrong with XFX. stinks they dont offer a game or anything but there warranty and rma is top notch. i wouldnt go with anyone else in my opinion

I buy XFX because of the double life warranty ;)

currently have a XFX HD5850 and very happy with it

Folks,

Of these the 2 that stand out to me are the ASUS (and you get a free coupon for Dirt2 with that one) and XFX (some say "Double Lifetime Warranty".... whatever the hell that means).

If you buy the ASUS card and you don't need the coupon for Dirt2, are you allowed to sell it on eBay, for instance?

If you buy the ASUS card and you don't need the coupon for Dirt2, are you allowed to sell it on eBay, for instance?

you technically are not suppoosed to resale it... says right on it ;)

DOUBLE LIFE MEANS... at least what I read it out to be... as long as you own it, it is under warranty and if you sell it that person can re-register the card and get the warranty

other cards, if you sell them the new owner is not under warranty

Double Lifetime adds a bit to the resale value. (Less depreciation.) XFX is also more OC friendly, should you decide in a year or two your games are not running up to snuff and don't feel like spending money, simply OC it without worry. (Mine hit 950/1350 stable on stock volts and BIOS.)

Funny how the XFX cards are the cheaper ones to. *scratches head* *shrug* Not that I am complaining.

P.S.

XFX warranty.

Last edited:
asus, they have the ability to oc in ati ccc. the xfx is locked to 775 max core in ccc. i have my asus 5850s running at 900 core using only afterburner software. 1200 is max in ccc for asus cards.

yeah you cant go wrong with XFX. stinks they dont offer a game or anything but there warranty and rma is top notch. i wouldnt go with anyone else in my opinion

My XFX 5850 came with Dirt 2. Full game download voucher from steam.

Back