Need advice on 24" 1920x1200 monitor for text editing

astr627

n00b
Hi I'm in searching for 24" 1920x1200 monitor and will use it for coding, reading and BF3 gaming.

I have had Dell 2209wa, some Samsung TN and NEC EA232WMi (current), all of them cause eye fatigue. NEC is better but the text is hard to read comparing to ACD in school's lab, or even my laptop.

So I won't pick IPS monitor with heavy AG coating, and I think a quality TN monitor is my best choice.

What I can find in US market are:
HP LA2405wg
Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWT
Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW (seems to have really bad BLB.....)
NEC MultiSync EA241WM

and that's all. If there are more out there plz let me know.
So in terms of coding, gaming and quality, which one should I pick?

I got the S24A850DW and I am very disappointed with it in terms of the jumpiness of the screen colour which I find just too intense, there's another thread on this here I started, and the NEC MultiSync EA241WM is one of those next on my list. The ag coating on the samsung is good, but certainly not great, but like I said the intensity of the colour patches jumping back at me make the display really hard to use for text.

HP ZR2440w. I just picked this up to upgrade over my HP ZR24w and am very happy with it. Compared to my old, better black levels, instant on LED instead of CCFL, much better contrast, faster response time etc. And it has HDMI with a built in scaler so you can hook up a console or tv digital box to it.

I got the S24A850DW and I am very disappointed with it in terms of the jumpiness of the screen colour which I find just too intense, there's another thread on this here I started, and the NEC MultiSync EA241WM is one of those next on my list. The ag coating on the samsung is good, but certainly not great, but like I said the intensity of the colour patches jumping back at me make the display really hard to use for text.

I felt the same thing with the S24a850. The screen felt "alive", and eye fatigue was noticable. The two copies I had also displayed brutal BLB so I took them back and kept my Samsung T240HD, which is fantastic for text.

I felt the same thing with the S24a850. The screen felt "alive", and eye fatigue was noticable. The two copies I had also displayed brutal BLB so I took them back and kept my Samsung T240HD, which is fantastic for text.

oohhhh brother, this "jumpy", alive thing, is just plain horrible, I want to return it so much, and I 've been on the phone to their support in Europe (support is a euphemism when it comes to Samsung...) trying to find my best options for replacement...

I tried the Dell U2412M and it also felt alive/jumpy. At first I thought it was the fact that it uses LEDs, but the iMacs (27") I've used also use LED and the text seems fine. Perhaps the jumpiness is due to PWM? I have two (crappy) monitors at home that do not use PWM and they are fine for reading.

Edit: I suspect the 27" LED iMacs do not use PWM, like the closely related HP ZR2740W (see Prad.de review).

What is Pwm? I VE googled it to no avail, some led technology I suppose? Can we safely infer this is the reason of the jumpiness?

What is Pwm? I VE googled it to no avail, some led technology I suppose? Can we safely infer this is the reason of the jumpiness?

PWM = pulse width modulation. It's a method of dimming the backlight by turning the lights on and off very rapidly, rather than actually dimming the LED/CCFL. It's typically invisible, but some people notice it when moving their eyes around the screen. tftcentral.co.uk has an article on it.

I don't really know if it's the cause of the jumpiness. Try setting your brightness to 100% and dimming the display using the RGB controls. If it seems less jumpy then, it may be PWM related. Setting backlight to 100% typically causes the lights to stay on all the time, although this may not be the case for all monitors.

What's this jumpiness of which you speak on the 2412?

I'm sitting here at 1/2 brightness and 75% contrast on my recently purchased 2412 and see no "jumpiness" or flicker. Sure you didn't get a bad one?

Since the dot pitch is so coarse on the 24" 1920x1200 monitor I don't have the same issue I did with the Dell U2711 I had to return. The AG coating is somewhat lighter, and the dot pitch is not the same as the "dot pitch" of the anti-glare coating, so its MUCH more liveable than the U2711.

But... to each their own.

BB <--- STILL waiting for his $400 27" 1440p Korean monitor to arrive....

BB, it's a bit difficult to describe. Kind of like seeing tracers or echos of text when moving my eyes. Also, it felt a bit like having a strobe light in my face. My girlfriend couldn't see it at all, so I don't think the monitor was bad, just a difference in perception.

Back