Need advice on 17' laptop with Intel 3630 and Nvidia 680

Sixthsense

I Suck Fat Ones
Read subject :D

Upo further investigation. I'm looking at the NP9370 is there any reason I should not get this laptop ? Are there any issues that I could perhaps not be aware of? Also if I get the msata sad elsewhere. Do I need mounting brackets?

Last edited:
Where are you buying it from? Personally I like the GTX680 option but the pricing is horrible right now for that option. Probably always will be. Before buying read very carefully into the 7970 gpu. I kept hearing about AMD driver issues but they may have gotten a fix for it by now. nVidia isnt always problem free but they seem to have fewer gpu issues compared to AMD.

I dont know enough about the msata drives to answer that question. I'm sure if you look around you can find it. If its too much a hassle just get it already installed. That'd be my suggestion. You can always go without a ssd. Not like the laptop will run fine without one. SSDs have only been around for a few years. Not having one won't kill your gaming sessions and such.

Unless you plan on a dual GPU SLI/CF setup, I'd recommend the 9170 instead. Unlike the 9170, the 9370 does not support GPU switching (Optimus/Enduro), which can dramatically affect the battery life if you ever plan on using the laptop away from an AC power source. From a configurabilty standpoint, there's little difference between the two chassis ... both support the same CPU and GPU options, maximum RAM, ports, etc.

Where are you buying it from? Personally I like the GTX680 option but the pricing is horrible right now for that option. Probably always will be. Before buying read very carefully into the 7970 gpu. I kept hearing about AMD driver issues but they may have gotten a fix for it by now. nVidia isnt always problem free but they seem to have fewer gpu issues compared to AMD.

I dont know enough about the msata drives to answer that question. I'm sure if you look around you can find it. If its too much a hassle just get it already installed. That'd be my suggestion. You can always go without a ssd. Not like the laptop will run fine without one. SSDs have only been around for a few years. Not having one won't kill your gaming sessions and such.

Getting it from xoticpc,as much as I would want to get the 7970. I'm really tired of AMD's hotfixes. I did not experience any issues on my 5 series ATI card on my Asus G73H, but there were a handful of reports of the green screen issues that plagued that particular card.

Unless you plan on a dual GPU SLI/CF setup, I'd recommend the 9170 instead. Unlike the 9170, the 9370 does not support GPU switching (Optimus/Enduro), which can dramatically affect the battery life if you ever plan on using the laptop away from an AC power source. From a configurabilty standpoint, there's little difference between the two chassis ... both support the same CPU and GPU options, maximum RAM, ports, etc.

That's what I've read as well. What is the purpose of a laptop if it has to be constantly plugged in regardless if I'm gaming or not. I already purchased the NP9170 and have opted for a normal SSD opposed to a MSATA SSD. I guess I still need mounting brackets? I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 840 256GB from B&H.

Last edited:
That's what I've read as well. What is the purpose of a laptop if it has to be constantly plugged in regardless if I'm gaming or not. I already purchased the NP9170 and have opted for a normal SSD opposed to a MSATA SSD. I guess I still need mounting brackets? I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 840 256GB from B&H.

You may want to consider waiting a month or so for the release of Crucial's M500 line of SSDs. The product line will include 120, 240 and 480 GB flavours of mSATA and "normal" SSDs, and a 960 GB in SSD only (which will retail for under $600.)

You may want to consider waiting a month or so for the release of Crucial's M500 line of SSDs. The product line will include 120, 240 and 480 GB flavours of mSATA and "normal" SSDs, and a 960 GB in SSD only (which will retail for under $600.)

Thanks for the heads up , I'll definitely consider this

I just customized that laptop up to nearly 4,000 dollars. I shouldn't be allowed to shop.

Back