Need Advice!!!! Networking 3.11 to xp

GqCs

Weaksauce
Ok I havent posted here in a long time. I have been hired as an outside contractor by my company to network 3 CNC machines to thier main office. Two of them were a peice of cake but the last one has a controller running windows for workgroups 3.11. Well I installed tcp/ip on the 3.11 machine and set up all the parameters correctly (E.G. ipaddress etc. ...) Now I can see 3.11 on the network from every machine in the office but cannot access any shared folders on it. The 3.11 computer cannot see any shared computers\folders on the network either. I have installed the netbeui and the ipx/spx protocol on the xp machine and with or without it I still get the same results. All I want it simple file sharing nothing more. Please help me my boss is getting pissed because I had a week to finish and have yet to do so.

Sorry for the long post.

Well 3.x is just dos. Are you using net use from a prompt from the WFW machine to map drives?

Yes I have used dos net program. When I do Net View all it sees is itself and the shared folders on that computer under WORKGROUP which is what all the machines are set under. From the research i have done everyone says its almost impossible but I think there has to be a way. Maybe some form of third party software or something.

I can think of two things off the top of my head..

1) You need to disable the encrypted password feature for MS Lan Man so it allows backward compatability for WFW3.11 (Long shot)

2) The share name/computername is too long and WFW doesn't recognize it.

Try typing the following at the dos prompt on the WFW machine
NET START <hit enter>
NET USE * \\*ip address*\c$ replace "*ip address*" with one of the machines on your network

Those commands will start your network, then it will map the C drive on the computer you specify to the next available drive letter (probably e: or f:)

Riley

Back