Need advice for modding a lian-li pc75

grandp95

n00b
I was going to buy a pre-modded Lian-li,but realized quickly most retailers selling pre-mods should be brought up on charges for strong armed robbery. :D Modding the case myself will slow down my first build,but I'm sure the self accomplishment of doing it myself will be worth the effort

Here is my goal: Mod a Lian-li pc75

Here is a link to a pc75 (used as a reference picture)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-93.html?id=HIrNx8NC

I want to add a top 120mm blow hole,dual 92mm or 80mm on side window for intake,and also plan on cutting out all the restrictions for fan openings.Once that is done I would like to paint it black with a high gloss finish.

First,I need some modding tools,so I have already ordered a dremel kit.I have a standard drill,bits,and some basic tools.Is that enough to start this mod?

I think think the blowholes for the fans should be relatively easy.I should be able to find some basic guides,but painting the inside and out (in high gloss black) might be a little tricky.Any tips? Oh!I forgot, get rid of those clunky feet too!!

I would like to hear any other modding Ideas you might have for my new rig.

THANKS....................................

Dremel, Jigsaw with metal cutting bit, masking tape, sandpaper or a sanding device.... :cool:

Cool! I have a Jigsaw,so that will save me some cash.I will have to get some new blades though,before I start hacking into the Lian-Li. :eek: I wonder how cheap the stock side window is on the pc 75.

Fan layout

2 80 mm = front intake
4 80 mm = rear exhaust
1 120 mm = top case exhaust

What combination of fan(s) would work best on the side intake? 92's,80's or 120's.

my pc75 has a 120mm hole in it and I dont want it want to trade tops?
ill pay shipping both ways
I also have holesaws for 60,80,92,and 120mm if ya need some help doing that

I have not ordered my case yet. I was going to buy a pre-mod until I found out the prices.I will be getting this case and other pc parts with my tax return.Hey,If you want to wait about 3 weeks I could hook you up.

grandp95 said:
I assume you can get a hole saw attachment for a drill? Are they expensive?

not really... you can get all-in-one kits (ie hole saw and mandrel) from $10 for 3" (80mm) to $25 for 4.5" (120mm)

HRslammR said:
should do a 120mm front-intake. :)

That was my very first thought after looking at this case.It has (2) 80's in the front.I wonder if I could just use a template in the middle of the front 2-80's and cut out 1-120.It's possible,but the question is,do i have the room to cut over the 80's.

HAHA, great minds think alike!!
im building the same exact case (i also seen that one at frozencpu, and yes their prices are nuts)
but im putting dual 120mm fans in the side along with a 120mm blowhole
i bought my case from excaliberpc.com for $150 which is the best deal i have found yet
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=578_185_413&products_id=3165
i got the black case and i just got some new reinforced fiber discs for my dremel off egay
but i would really like to have a 120mm holesaw but cant find them anywhere?
can someone please post a link to where i can get a good quality one?

Northerner said:
HAHA, great minds think alike!!
im building the same exact case (i also seen that one at frozencpu, and yes their prices are nuts)
but im putting dual 120mm fans in the side along with a 120mm blowhole
i bought my case from excaliberpc.com for $150 which is the best deal i have found yet
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=578_185_413&products_id=3165
i got the black case and i just got some new reinforced fiber discs for my dremel off egay
but i would really like to have a 120mm holesaw but cant find them anywhere?
can someone please post a link to where i can get a good quality one?

I almost talked myself into a coolermaster stacker,but ya gotta love those lian-li's.I found out the best thing to do is not buy a hole saw kit.I plan on buying an arbor/bit separate,and then purchase the hole saw bits that I need.Since the Lian-li is aluminum,you dont need carbine bits.Home Depot has the 120 mm bit for about 20.00 dollars,but it is a good bit.I will be surfing around for deals,and post it back on this thread.

I like your idea with the dual 120's on the side intake.You still have 2 80's in the front and 4 possible 80's on the back panel not including the top 120.Alrighty then,maybe some extra sound proofing is another project.

grandp95 said:
I want to add a top 120mm blow hole,dual 92mm or 80mm on side window for intake,and also plan on cutting out all the restrictions for fan openings.Once that is done I would like to paint it black with a high gloss finish.

Sounds like you have good plan.. thought i'd share with you some pics of my changes to my pc75 since your ideas are similar to what I did to my case.

240mm radiator cut out on top, restrictions cut out and powdercoated black.

lian5.JPG

Loved to see some pics of how urs turns out? :)

HRslammR said:
should do a 120mm front-intake. :)

Here was my PC75 planned setup. I was going to have a 120mm intake taking up three 5.25" bays, I cut out holes for the two 80mm fans. I then drilled two 120mm blowholes on the top of the case. After that I was planning to do two 120mm intakes on the side...

But basically a lot of craziness ended my project and I had to sell the case to a friend. :( But he's continuing the work so it should turn out well. ;)

Good luck with your project.

-fool

jpm804 said:
Sounds like you have good plan.. thought i'd share with you some pics of my changes to my pc75 since your ideas are similar to what I did to my case.

240mm radiator cut out on top, restrictions cut out and powdercoated black.

Loved to see some pics of how urs turns out? :)

I will definitley post some pics when I get going on this project.As soon as excaliberpc restocks the 75's for the low price of $150 :D I can start.In the meantime I plan on buying some fans and modding supplies.Dude! I love the powder coat.That is too sweet!! ISince the lian-li's are aluminum,a power coating might be my best bet.How much does it cost to powder coat?

i decided to forget about the dremel route and i ordered a new 120mm hole saw and arbor today from directron so that should be here by this weekend and hopefully that will make a nice clean hole for me on the top and two in the window!!

For what it's worth, a dremel and sandpaper can also produce some very nice smooth holes.

Here is the hole I cut in my PC-75 for my aquatube using just a dremel cutting wheel and some metal sandpaper...
phase20037wj.jpg

grandp95 said:
I will definitley post some pics when I get going on this project.As soon as excaliberpc restocks the 75's for the low price of $150 :D I can start.In the meantime I plan on buying some fans and modding supplies.Dude! I love the powder coat.That is too sweet!! ISince the lian-li's are aluminum,a power coating might be my best bet.How much does it cost to powder coat?

Cost me $80 dollars to powdercoat it since it was a single case. It would have been cheaper if I did more than one case. Also the quality of the powder coat is nice compared to if I tried to paint it myself

I could have powder coated it glossy black , but I wanted it match the anodized black finish
of the case.

You can also maybe find a place to anodize ur case, but you have to totally disassemble the case.

grandp95 said:
Cool! I have a Jigsaw,so that will save me some cash.I will have to get some new blades though,before I start hacking into the Lian-Li. :eek: I wonder how cheap the stock side window is on the pc 75.

Fan layout

2 80 mm = front intake
4 80 mm = rear exhaust
1 120 mm = top case exhaust

What combination of fan(s) would work best on the side intake? 92's,80's or 120's.

I don't know if this will help you http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1762&osCsid=6f83bbb4e00522db6a71962af192b8d0

The only thing is it has 3 intake holes but its the cheapest price for a PC-75 side panel with a window i've seen ! :)

also far as i know the (PC-75= $150) is pretty much the same as the (PC-71=$90) http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=578_579&products_id=2396 and the side panel and case are already black ! :)

RealMentalCase said:
I don't know if this will help you http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1762&osCsid=6f83bbb4e00522db6a71962af192b8d0

The only thing is it has 3 intake holes but its the cheapest price for a PC-75 side panel with a window i've seen ! :)

thats not a bad price for a side panel with the fan holes already done but what a joke on
their shipping! "we double box and the weight will be 30 pounds" ??? what kind of crap is
that? that means their cardboard boxes (if they double box) weigh 13 pounds each??

$25 for shipping is just to much to my area, plus my hole saw should be here by friday
and i will have 120mm red led fans on my side window

well i got my pc75b case but its been sitting here for a week and im not sure if i want to mod it or not?
i must say im kind of dissapointed in it, it sure is a very very very lightweight case! :(
its beautiful so dont get me wrong their, i just like to have more heft to a case i guess.

i have a thermaltake xaserIII and that thing is a tank so i got used to its weight, but this lian li compared to my Tt case is like the skinny kid at the beach that gets sand thrown in his face! LOL

will have to decide to keep it or turn around and sell it!

Back