need advice for gaming headphones

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
im looking for a pair of headphones to buy, my budget is $100. these are going to be used 95% for gaming. what would be good? comfort is a pretty big priority, as i will be using them for extended periods of time. an attached mic doesn't really matter, cuz i already have a mic, but i guess if there was one it'd be nice. i'm currently looking at the icemat siberias, they seem to have a good price/performance. is there anything that would be a better buy for under $100? thanks.

Sennheiser HD-555, Audio Technica ATH-AD300, Senn. HD-497 are some 'phones I'd recomend. The best thing to do is try out different headphones before buying though. Good luck!

My GFs dog chewed through my headset cord a few months ago. Ran to Best Buy picked up an Altec Lansing headset for about $40. It was a little more pricey than Im used to, (last set was ~$20 AOpen, very good IMO), but the sound is excellent and the mic works well.

thanks for the suggestions, i knew someone would pop in recommending the senns :p

i forgot to add though, i want headphones that *don't* require an amp, and i remember that some of the senns do. do these ones? cuz i dont have enough money to spend on good headphones + amp, just the headphones.

Pabuchok said:
My GFs dog chewed through my headset cord a few months ago. Ran to Best Buy picked up an Altec Lansing headset for about $40. It was a little more pricey than Im used to, (last set was ~$20 AOpen, very good IMO), but the sound is excellent and the mic works well.

thats what i use im happy with it too but i would like to get something that is higher quality.

skudmunky said:
Sennheiser HD-555, Audio Technica ATH-AD300, Senn. HD-497 are some 'phones I'd recomend. The best thing to do is try out different headphones before buying though. Good luck!

;D!

hd555 or audio-technica ath-a500 both do not need an amp to sound great.

Soymilk said:
thanks for the suggestions, i knew someone would pop in recommending the senns :p

i forgot to add though, i want headphones that *don't* require an amp, and i remember that some of the senns do. do these ones? cuz i dont have enough money to spend on good headphones + amp, just the headphones.
What soundcard you using?

Chastity said:
What soundcard you using?
im probably going to use onboard audio (azalia, forgot what realtek codec it was, i think its 880 or something like that? its the HD one). if you guys think itd make a difference i might think about getting something like a audigy2 zs or something like that since u can find them on sale every once in a while for like $20 nowadays. would i notice a difference between the audigy2 sound cards and the azalia onboard audio? (other than the cpu performance stuff, i know about that)

im definitely not getting a x-fi though, they cost way too much for me.

Another vote for ATH-A500. I prefer closed for the isolation. You can listen at a lower volume and it will save your ears in the long run.

Regarding the soundcard, X-Fi would be ideal since it's CMSS3D-Headphone mode is improved over the Audigy 2 ZS. If you can't afford it, the Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 4 (non-pro) is an alternative.

I've had downright startling results with a Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA - a pair of 5.1 type headphones. Other than the pads on the headphones whick suck allmighty ass and need to be replaced asap, I've found that sound is nearly identical to the Logitech Z3xx series 5.1 sound.

That is, when using a Soundblaster X-fi. With a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, headphone quality is crap, and with a Creative Audigy 4, quality is only somewhat the same

skudmunky said:
Senn. HD-497 are some 'phones I'd recomend.
Maybe i'm just spoiled, but the 497s are both uncomfortable and seem to have a much more compressed soundstage than the 457s I previously had. I really wouldn't suggest them for long stints of gaming

how much do the ath-a500s cost? and where would be the best place to get em?

Back