Need advice for a pre-built system

Jorren

n00b
I’m planning on purchasing a gaming pc sometime in the next 6 months or so. My budget is around $2500-$3500. I have no intention of building it myself since I’m busy and need a reliable service plan. So far I’ve looked at the following web sites:

Velocity Micro
Voodoo
Falcon Northwest
Hypersonic
Maingear
Dell
ABS
Polywell
Alienware
Vicious PC
Thunderbox
Overdrive PC
Widow PC
Xotic PC
Monarch Computers
Puget Systems
Sin Systems

Right now I’m leaning towards either ABS or Monarch. I’m still undecided on SLI since I’m debating on whether a single 7900GTX or 7950 card might be a better value. I definitely want to get 10k drives. Everything else is optional. I do not need a monitor, keyboard/mouse or speakers.

This is what I have at the moment:

Asus P4 3.0 Mhz 800fsb
1024mb Ram
75g of hard drive space
Sapphire X800XL 256mb AGP card
Audigy 2 ZS card

Any advice is appreciated.

For that amount of money, you can get basically whatever you want from any of those places.

You have enough money to get what you want from any of them, so go with the leaders of the industry: Velocity, Falcon, or Voodoo. Everything else is just a knockoff of the originals. You'll want Intel's Conroe, aka Core 2 Duo, (sad to say from an AMD fan)and at least 7950 if not SLI for the sake of longevity.

read up on the reviews here, jorren. I wasn't impressed with Monarch's performance in the last review - I wouldn't have them on my list.

From the size of your list, you've got a lot of research and narrowing down to do. Good luck.

check out KC Computers

I personally have not had any experience with them but they get great ratings on ResellerRatings

Infact, maybe you could buy one for review Chris. I would be very interested in the results.

The site might be basic but shoot Kevin a email for help and quotes.

Jorren said:
This is what I have at the moment:

Asus P4 3.0 Mhz 800fsb
1024mb Ram
75g of hard drive space
Sapphire X800XL 256mb AGP card
Audigy 2 ZS card

Any advice is appreciated.

Man I have almost the same setup, except for Intel MB, 850xt card. *thinks to myself* Time to upgrade?

I have read just about every single [H] consumer review and the following is my .02.

If I had the money (and I do not) I would go with:
A. Velocity Micro
Or
B. Maingear

Maingear is a little Pricy, but you get a little more polish.

One other thing I may mention is you listed Velocity Micro FIRST. I think you should go with your instincts on that. Sounds like you are just fishing with the two you listed ;-)

Nobody and I mean NOBODY touches the service of Voodoo and Falcon. If you're looking for the best warranty possible and price be damned those are the only two places you should be looking at. But if the warranty isn't the most important thing then feel free to shop around.

Just my two cents.

Having talked with a few other people in the meanwhile, I'm now definitely thinking about ordering from Velocity. I'm not looking for complete luxury, so I'll probably pass on Voodoo and Falcon (If my budget was in the $5000K + range, I'd most likely get one of those two).

Overdrive was another name that those I spoke to brought up. The reviews on this site seem to reflect favorably on them, but does anyone else here have any experience with either Overdrive (or Maingear for that matter)?

I bought a Hornet from Monarch and love it. I've taken it to several LAN parties and everyone always ask where I got it from. Monarch makes some high quality systems. I would go with them.

I must tell you the Horent Pro Rocks.. I had a issue with my hdd and had a hard time getting support,but then the next time i got through in less than a min. I belive they hired more support staff becuse the guy i taked to said he was the new mgr and was made some big time upgrades to there warranty policys. GO MONARCH

I would go with VM. The business is professional and is accountable for what it does - you can always get someonew to help you out and you do not have to jump through hoops apparently to get nice service. It seems like the best overall price/performance customer friendly company going right now. Voodoo is the end-all be-all over all other companies but you also pay twice the amount. Sometimes more.

Back