Need about 10 machines for a small business - go OEM or build them?

frank

Supreme [H]ardness
whats up guys...been lurking around and finally decided to post...

I'm in the market for about 10 machines w/LCDs at the moment and from the beginning I just assumed it easier to go through an OEM manufacturer - primarily DELL or IBM.

After recieving price quotes I'm wondering if I should just build all of them myself to save money and get better parts. I'm in the market for machines meeting the following specs:

P4 2.8-3.2ghz
1gb ram
40gig HDD

sound and video dont have to be anything special...something integrated is fine...this is for databases, word processing, and spreadsheets as well as our own custom software which isnt very demanding.

I posted a few weeks ago looking for the best deal on 17inch LCDs but turned up no luck..another reason why I considered just aone big package from the likes of dell or IBM. I'm looking at around 800-950 with these quotes per system...I'm just concerned with upgradeability as these are mainly proprietary and a pain in the ass to do so.

Just looking for some advice...whether on the whole system or the monitor...

ill just say this, going oem is probably going to be more cheaper in light of the dell deals. you can get a pretty decent pc for 300-400 with a 17" lcd already. m not sure if you can order 10 at the same time. you might want to try it though

I would say go OEM, and see if you cant get a further discount due to the number purchased, something to that degree. Single business machine class dells are amazingly cheap, maybe even cheaper in bulk?

I haven't done research here, but I bet you can get a good 'bulk' deal from an OEM if you are buying 10 identical systems, especially for business. I'd also make sure to talk to someone from these companies (not just do a web-build) to work the discount angle.

Also, since they're business machines, if you run into a problem you'll have their tech support on speed-dial. If you build yourself, you'll need to be the tech support for your business and could give yourself a lot of extra work potentially.

I'm just concerned with upgradeability as these are mainly proprietary and a pain in the ass to do so.

On second thought, you may want to build yourself if this is a priority, as said above, one of the biggest perks of going OEM is tech support != you ;p

You could use a company that doesn't propreitary tricks like Monarch. They work well for people I know but they are also in the same state so any issues that do arise are covered fast.

I built the computers for my Small Business that started last month. I did a comparison with OEMs and price checking and what not and turns out I was better off building them.

Just my 2 cents.

Just out of curiosity, what small business did you start?

I started an after-school enrichment programs academy. Like after-schools and tutoring and such.

wow...so many replies so quickly. thanks guys.

yeah I have considered the tech support angle but it's not a serious issue. Due to the nature of the work we have minimal hardware issues...its all primarily in the custom software if anyway...which in turn always end up to us having to have the software manufacturer come in and handle it anyway.

I just wanted to gauge maybe how much I'de be saving if I built these as well as some cost benefit analysis. I havent priced or built any desktops in a long long time to know what I'm talking about and everyone on here, whether cyclical or not, has always been on the cutting edge so to speak.

Obviously I've already worked the deal angle...i didnt plan on buying anything online...in fact I've called up redistributors and even considered refurbs. Dell quoted me 930 a system (optiplex) with 17" monitor. I didnt even try and work them. A followup I'm sure would yeild an even better cost if I decided to move ahead with them. So far your replies are fantastic. Any more personal experiences or suggestions are welcome.

PS - its a wholesale restauarant supplier for equipment, smallwares, frozen foods, paper products, janitorial supplies, ect...over 12k items in our database.

I got all of the systems for my dad's small business from dell for under 600 bucks a pop. They are all 2.8+, 512MB, 17inch LCD of mostly Dimension 4700 flavor. Not fancy, but a good value and more than my users needed.

id go with Dell as well, everythings pre-assembled, can you imagine getting 10 systems togheter by yourself? the man hours involed wouldnt be worth it.........

make sure to go through the dell business part, might get a discount GL with your business!

soulsaver_8229

IBM's are prolly your best bet. They are not proprietary, and they have great support.

go OEM.....for business you may be able to LEASE>>>>which gives you the advantage of UPGRADE at no cost when the lease expires...... ie out with the old...in with new Plus you get SUPPORT and RMA. We did this for our office and it has excellent tax advantages. :D

magoo said:
go OEM.....for business you may be able to LEASE>>>>which gives you the advantage of UPGRADE at no cost when the lease expires...... ie out with the old...in with new Plus you get SUPPORT and RMA. We did this for our office and it has excellent tax advantages. :D
Mmm... tax advantages..

AMD[H]unter said:
IBM's are prolly your best bet. They are not proprietary, and they have great support.
Indeed. For business it's definitely recommended to have professional 24/7 support. :cool:

1c3d0g said:
Indeed. For business it's definitely recommended to have professional 24/7 support. :cool:

I'd change the above statement to 'for a small business its definately recommended to have ANYONE ELSE to pass the tech support buck too'

Lol.. I support about 10 users and they can drive me batty sometimes!

i tried to deal with dell last summer(bought 45 machines) and they were $10,000 more than build your-self. AND the best part... the people we bought the parts from assembled all the machines to save themselves on shipping costs. I formatted one machine the way I wanted, and ghosted the rest. Only took 2 days.

QJ

I'd go with any OEM who can provide same or next business day *onsite* warranty service. Although you may be able to save money by building yourself, consider what it would cost for replacement parts, time, and effort in fixing a single machine if a mobo or PSU dies in a year and a half.

At the rate technology is changing, there is no way to guarentee you will be able to find the same exact replacement parts 2 or 3 years from now. With hardware being a commodity today, I'd err to the side of caution here.

Building 10 systems ... may not be a good idea. Go OEM.. and go for IBM. May be little expensive, but they are rock-solid. This is my experience with a "business class" Dell system.

Back