Need A Xeon Or Opteron Motherboard....Suggestions?

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's what I plan on using it for:

* A Game/File Server
* Encoding
* Video Editing
* Gaming

Foxconn plans on releasing an Opteron workstation motherboard and Abit has one that supports SLI + Non registered memory. Comments? Suggestions?

Xeon with LV Xeons = cheap
opterons = powerful

if youre gonna game, get an SLI opteron, and if your short of cash, add the extra GPU and CPU later

if youre just gonna tinker, and its not going to be your primary rig (for gaming) an LV Xeon setup is super cheap and performs very well.

Abit has a sweet dual opteron SLI motherboard although I'm not sure if it was ever released.

The Doc said:
Abit has a sweet dual opteron SLI motherboard although I'm not sure if it was ever released.

i dunno either, and with abits recent quality taking a dive, id pass on it.

Tyan 2895. Gives me happy dreams. Combine with 2*275 opterons, a 6800, and an Areca raid card, and I'm in heaven. Very fast heaven.

Steel Chicken said:
if youre gonna game, get an SLI opteron, and if your short of cash, add the extra GPU and CPU later
Why discount LV xeons for gaming? Are you telling me that a P4 northwood @ 3.2 will be a bad performer for gaming?

hes not discounting the xeons, just saying that dual opterons and SLi would be better for gaming

Guess that's like saying FX-55 is better than 3400+ for gaming. Sure, but when you look at price/performance ratio, it really isn't that great of an advantage, is it? To each his own, I suppose.

Vertigo Acid said:
Why discount LV xeons for gaming? Are you telling me that a P4 northwood @ 3.2 will be a bad performer for gaming?

I never said LV's were bad for gaming, and I also never said a P4 northwood @ 3.2 is the same as an LV Xeon either. However, an opteron will outperform a Xeon LV at any clockspeed. *BUT* You can buy a pair of LV Xeons for under $150, which makes it an awesome deal, for non-gaming solutions.

For the motherboard stick with Tyan, Supermicro or iWill.

But... if the main use of your computer is gaming then dual-cpu probably isnt for you, cause its mainly for heavy mult-tasking or running mega cpu intensive stuff (photochop and 3dsmax etc). Stick with a single cpu SLI if you play games alot but if you only game every now and then(kinda like me) then get the Tyan Thunder K8WE cause then you can run 1 cpu or 2 and 1 or 2 graphics cards.

BTW, For gaming, a single 244 opteron is about equal to a p4 3.0.

my xeon setup w/ 6800gt @ 400/1100 was disappointing,

and dually reviews will show that opteron has the upper hand compared to the xeon

paulmofyourhand said:
my xeon setup w/ 6800gt @ 400/1100 was disappointing,

and dually reviews will show that opteron has the upper hand compared to the xeon

Dude if you use your puter for games get a gig of ram, makes huge difference :p

Well both Opteron and Xeon are very powerful processors, but i gotta go with Xeon because i am an intel person. But AMD opteron are great processor, i will be happy with any of those processors.

Back