Need a Video card for dual 1680x1050 monitors

caffiendo

n00b
I'm open to all suggestions that will allow me to run dual 1680x1050 monitors. I don't believe the MOBO I'm getting supports SLI. I am not a gamer. This is for systems administration.

This is going to be installed in a PC running Linux, if I can find a card that is supported in Linux.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a 7300 or 7600 series? Nvidia cards have great drivers under linux, and any card with 2 DVI ports should be able to pump that res.

I use an X1900XTX for my Dual Dell 2007WFP's. Work great. They can be had for a deal now.

Edit, I jsut seen you were not a gamer. Get an X1600 Pro with 2 DVI Ports. $100

Get an X1600 Pro with 2 DVI Ports

**Disclaimer**

The following is 100% purely MY OPINION based on my own personal experience with the above referenced card, and again is nothing more than my opinion.. and my opinion is in no way intended to offend or insult anyone:)

=============================================

Ahem. The X1600pro is the biggest piece of shit waste of money ever to come out of ATI, and under no circumstances would I wish one upon even my most hated enemy.

Please, for the love of God, do not get an X1600pro, please, please, please.

In my opinion, a 7600 series would be a MUCH better choice. Nothing against ATI, but for your application, I really think the 7600 series is your best bet

Thanks for the replies. I absolutely hate ATI. I think their software is junk. I haven't been able to get the tuner on my 9600 AIW Radeon Pro to work since it was new:mad: . I paid $349 for it right when it came out.

I think the Nvidia sound like a good bet.

Yup, here ya go: dual dvi, better performance than the crappy x1600 Pro, and only $100!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130073
I just installed the XFX AGP version of the 7600GT, and its awesome. I am running a 1680x1680 and a 1280x1024...Havent configured it in linux yet, but I hear its fairly simple using twinview.

this is for ubuntu, not sure how it would work on other systems. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=301946&highlight=7600GT

**Disclaimer**

The following is 100% purely MY OPINION based on my own personal experience with the above referenced card, and again is nothing more than my opinion.. and my opinion is in no way intended to offend or insult anyone:)

Ahem. The X1600pro is the biggest piece of shit waste of money ever to come out of ATI, and under no circumstances would I wish one upon even my most hated enemy.

Please, for the love of God, do not get an X1600pro, please, please, please.

In my opinion, a 7600 series would be a MUCH better choice. Nothing against ATI, but for your application, I really think the 7600 series is your best bet

You are more correct than you know! I was totally displeased with my X1600pro performance. And then I really threw good money after bad and got a second X1600pro and ran them in CrossFire. I could never express how utterly disappointing this configuration was and how poorly any configuration performed. In my opinion, anyone who ever bought an X1600pro should get their money back, in full, with shipping paid by ATI.

Got a PCI GF5200 in my machine at work. It has no problem driving dual 1600x1200 displays (with the exception of Beryl and some 3-d screensavers).

Since it's harder to find anything worse these days, you're pretty much to pick anything from nvidia based on other factors (passive cooling, dual DVI ports, cost, etc) - about the only thing I'd make a point of avoiding is stuff like the shared-memory 6200s.

I am running an 8800GTX driving two Samsung 24" 244T's at 1920 X 1200. All is well.
I know this is not a cheap solution but it does work well. I can multitask to the max (Photoshop, Publisher, Spread sheets. Acrobat Etc) across both monitors. I can also game running Oblivion with all settings maxed with fast and smooth results.
I am not saying this is the only or the best solution just one that seems to work well.

Back