Need a TV Tuner, have a few ideas. Please help!

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a TV Tuner card (finally). I have a 24" widescreen monitor connected to my GTX 260.

I was looking at the Hauppauge HVR-1800 and the HVR-1600.

I dual-boot Ubuntu 8.10 and Vista Home Premium 32 bit (75+% of my time is spent in Vista). The HVR-1800 does not have great linux support, but that's not a huge deal at this point.

I have a few questions (since I'm an HTPC noob):

I want dual-tuner capability (I.e. record 2 shows at one time, or watch one and record one). I know the 1800 has an analog cable input and an over-the-air HD antenna (NTSC) input. I guess I can't record 2 shows from analog cable at once, can I?

Does the HVR-1600 offer dual analog tuners?

I tried reading the specs and I must confess I was a bit confused. The difference between analog and digital cable is mainly what's weird. I think I get an analog signal (no set top box).

Last question: What good does a remote do me, assuming I'm not using a TV to watch? Is there an IR receiver on the tuner itself, so I can use the remote to change channels? I would like a remote, but only if it's actually useful. I do have a wireless KB, so that's an OK alternative.

So, I guess, in summary, I really want to be able to watch OTA HD channels (I'm in Atlanta). I also really want to be able to have dual analog tuners (so I can watch one/record one or record 2 shows at the same time). Which of the two Hauppauge tuners I mentioned will do that BEST?

If neither will do that, do I need 2 tuners or is there a model out there with NTSC in and 2 analog tuners? Budget is not an issue at this point, I just want something that works well. I have a free PCI slot but I want PCI-Express.

Thank you in advance for your help. Just FYI, I am open to more models than just those 2, so recommend away!

I would take a look at the HDhomerun. It's what I have. It connects via your network so there is no physical install in your computer. It works with any OS and any computer on your network and tune channels with it.

I have a Hauppauge WinTv-HVR 1800 MCE and its a solid tuner. It is a hybrid tuner meaning you can only watch analog or Over the Air HD TV, not both. I bought the Media Center Edition so i would get the remote which lets me use vista media center from across the room. The actual receiver is connected by usb so you can move it around where you see fit.

If you what a dual tuner i would recommend the hauppauge WinTv-HVR 2250. It is a dual tuner but you can only use dual OTA HD or dual analog, not both because it only has one input.

I actually did buy the HVR-2250, completely independently of your post (I haven't checked on the thread for a while), but it turns out you give good advice.

I bought the Media Center kit edition. It was only $127.xx at Buy.com. Great deal, I thought, for a dual tuner and a remote.

I'm excited to go install it and see what happens.

Although, like an idiot, I didn't buy an rg6 (coax) cable to go with it. I think I can bum a cable from some friends, but I still feel dumb for not thinking of the cable.

I think the 2250 is exactly what I want, although I think it would be nicer if:

A) it had great Linux support (which I'm sure will be eventually forthcoming)

B) it would allow me to plug in an OTA antenna and an analog cable at the same time and switch between them on-the-fly as opposed to having to unplug and swap when I want to change inputs

Other than those two minor issues, it does everything I want, and I can record something for my GF while I watch something else.

Keeps us both happy. :D

Back