Need a sub $200 phone that my wife can't kill

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
At&t. Used probably due to price constraints. She needs a big screen and a very tough phone. I have yet to EVER destroy a phone since cell phones were invented. Her? Not so much. Let's just say she has bad hands. So cheap phone, big screen, just uses it for normal girly stuff like facebook and lots of texting and talking. Last phone she had was a droid turbo with an otterbox which did not keep the screen from cracking horribly when dropped on a soft, bouncy wood porch.

There is a nexus 6 local for $120

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Samsung Galaxy, any flavor. Cheap and reliable. And purchase phone insurance for her.

Just have to figure a case that actually protects against flat drops on the screen which is what killed the last one. Nexus 6 is a big ass phone. Maybe hot glue some corner bumpers on it.

Make her pay for them and let her sort it out, might learn how to hold things.

shatterproff screen is not a scam. it actually works. my kid managed to nreak a galaxy s6 active in less than a month, but my Moto X force ( i believe it is called Droid Turbo on At&T) is going strong. worth every cent.

The Moto X Force is a non-carrier branded device sold outside the US, the domestic aka US version is known as the Droid Turbo 2 (Verizon device but unlocked for GSM operation) and I was going to suggest it for the OP, even had a long detailed post about it and the fact that it is damned near indestructible and how I owned one and would routinely throw it quite hard at brick walls to show just how tough it actually is - the walls always had a lot more damage where the Droid Turbo 2 would just get a few scuffs and scrapes on the metal frame of the device and never any damage to the P-OLED composite plastic display (no glass at all).

But the OP made his decision early on just as I was about to post that info so I deleted the post entirely. ;)

The droid had a full otterbox on it. With the rolledover screen protection. Did not help at all. I will be looking at the rhinoshield and anything else BC we can't afford another mishap this close to Christmas.

Dude delivered the phone to the bar we were at. Perfect and damn near new. Works great except he had a minimal case. She is not allowed to use it outside of the den which has carpet until I can armor it up lol. Problem is we live in a small city. Looks like I have to order from amazon.

The Moto X Force is a non-carrier branded device sold outside the US, the domestic aka US version is known as the Droid Turbo 2 (Verizon device but unlocked for GSM operation) and I was going to suggest it for the OP, even had a long detailed post about it and the fact that it is damned near indestructible and how I owned one and would routinely throw it quite hard at brick walls to show just how tough it actually is - the walls always had a lot more damage where the Droid Turbo 2 would just get a few scuffs and scrapes on the metal frame of the device and never any damage to the P-OLED composite plastic display (no glass at all).

But the OP made his decision early on just as I was about to post that info so I deleted the post entirely. ;)

thank you for correcting me on US product name:

Moto X Force ( global) > Droid Turbo 2 (Verizon)
Moto Z Force ( never had a global )
Moto Z2 Force (same name on all countries and carriers )
is this correct?

even when the OP is happy, giving valuable advice help others that read the thread.

Got an otterbox defender and tempered glass screen protector. Maybe a lanyard too.....

(Im assuming you mean the G5). Probably the best smartphone deal on the market right now.

yes, you're right. thanks.

upload_2017-11-21_9-25-58.png

Yeah, I would have definitely got the G5 Plus (64GB/4GB RAM variant) over the old Nexus 6. I got one for my wife's friend a while back after her kid got a hold of her old Samsung GS3 and chewed it to death and it has been solid for her the past few times I've asked her. Got her a Supcase (as good as any Ottarbox for 1/4 the price - they have saved my past few phones several times) with screen protector on it and it's virtually indestructible. I guarantee you that the battery life on G5 Plus is significantly better than any 2+ year old Nexus 6 while having the same perceivable UI performance and it has more modern features like a fingerprint scanner (that's super fast) and a considerably better camera. Not to mention that the Nexus 6 was EOL'd this year and the G5 Plus should be good for at least another year or so for software updates.

Yeah. Will probably get a g5p for myself eventually. The 6 is fine for her though. All she uses it for is Facebook and yapping. The big screen is nice too. She is pretty much blind.

I may have misread, or misinterpreted what you mean by "big screen" but what about the Xperia XA1 Ultra? New they sell for ~$300, and they run about $200 on swappa.

Personally, Sony phones have been my favorite. The skin, build quality, and durability have been great. I have also used LG, Samsung, Oneplus, and HTC.

I have a friend at work that just got the G5, and he loves it. He did just come from a 4 year old Motorola phone, so he isn't used to the "fancy new stuff."

So I just looked in my email, bhphoto has the G4 on sale for $99. Tough to beat that.

I may have to pick up a couple for my chilled and not put a SIM card in there.

The G5 Plus is a nice device. My Dad uses a 5plus and my mom uses a 4GB 64gb G4 plus. Stock Andriod and good solid phones all around.

You know what all that texting is about, right? Just be careful.

So far so good. I will say that my moto g5 plus is a tank. Unicorn beetle case just laughs at drops.

Back