Need a Socket F mobo

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Been a while since I've last posted here, recently acquired two AMD Opteron 8214 processors for $18 off ebay all I'm after is the motherboard now. Can anyone recommend me a good, decent and not to costly Socket F motherboard either WS branded models from Asus etc or Supermicro server boards, particularly ones that support DDR2 and PCI-E slots.

Thanks

After having both Asus and Tyan Dual Socket F boards, I'd say go with an Asus. I had the KFN4-D16 from Asus and ran my Dual 2314HEs perfectly.

Something to watch out for in Tyans is the 4.1" mounting, kind of a pain to work with if you're looking to use AM2+ HSFs.

Also if you plan on wanting 6 core Socket Fs down the road be prepared to spend a bit more than the ones that support Quads.

I have an MSI KN9D which worked well for me. Uses the normal AM2 HSF mounting bracket so you can use regular heatsinks, which is really nice.

Only real problem with it was that it was unstable until I got airflow over the nvidia chipset...which is a pain because your video card will probably cover the entire thing. I'm not sure why it was designed without active cooling on the chipset since mine was not stable out of the box with the stock cooling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...I was beginning to wonder if this was the right section which I posted this thread.

What I plan to do with this system is (haven't decided yet) a video rendering rig or for folding. So far I've got the two dual core opterons, 8GB of DDR2 667 ECC and Non-ECC RAM, 2 Quadro's (still waiting to receive from a friend not sure what model probably around fx 3500-4000 range) and so far for now that is unused is 1x1TB Seagate and 1x320GB WD Sata drive and a 500watt PSU. All I need is a motherboard now, so far its been pretty hard to find a board within ($0-300) range with a few PCI-Express slots.

@MotionBlur: I've just looked up the price for the KFN4-D16; its around $450 here so its kind of too much for me, and only just 1 PCI-Express slot.

@Abit667: I cannot find a supplier with the MSI KN9D in stock nor find a updated current price on it.

Yes it does only have 1 pci-e slot, but ram slots galore :)

I had used mine as a After Effects/Premiere video editing workstation from Spring 2009 to Summer 2009, until I realized the harsh reality of non-multithreaded plugins in CS4 :( I setup a Phenom II X2 545 that summer and it was actually faster than my 8 core Opteron in After Effects.

CS5 seems to be a little better about it, at least it is a 64bit native app now and seems to use my X6 a bit better. If you're into doing rendering in 3ds max or e-on's vue that's where your Opteron will shine.

With the prices that 1207 still goes for, you're honestly better off making keychains out of the processors. It's what I did with my quad core 1207 Opterons (and you only have dual cores). A Core i3 will outperform those processors and will be a hell of a lot cheaper when you take everything into account (and of course significantly faster too). It's why you got the processors so cheap...they're worthless now.

I know, I was just searching up some retailers who actually had stock on some Socket F mobo's the cheapest one I found was 350, I have everything else, the ram, quadro cards, the cpu's, case, psu all I need is a damn mobo. :( Hopefully somebody might turn up with one they want to sell.

Reply sent....sadly board doesn't support 8*** series Opty's.
Any board will. They're no different from the 2000 series processors except for the extra HT links. They just normally aren't listed on anything but 4 and 8 socket systems.

Any board will. They're no different from the 2000 series processors except for the extra HT links. They just normally aren't listed on anything but 4 and 8 socket systems.

Positive? The board Amd has for me is this one http://www2010.gigabyte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2391
which I was going to purchase from ebay, but it says its only designed for the 2000 series Opty's so I wasn't too sure. There was also another GB model that said it supported my Dual Opty's but was about $900 which is a little bit too much for me.

EDIT: AH damn it, Amd only provides shipping to the US, wish I was in the States. :(

Pretty positive. I still think you're far better off not getting the board unless it costs you next to nothing...I'm talking in the range of ~$50. Hope you have some ECC DDR2 on hand as well as that isn't worth buying at this point either when it costs 4 times as much as DDR3.

Positive? The board Amd has for me is this one http://www2010.gigabyte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2391
which I was going to purchase from ebay, but it says its only designed for the 2000 series Opty's so I wasn't too sure. There was also another GB model that said it supported my Dual Opty's but was about $900 which is a little bit too much for me.

EDIT: AH damn it, Amd only provides shipping to the US, wish I was in the States. :(

I tested the Gigabyte motherboard with 2x Opteron 8214 HE and it works perfectly normal:)

We got the same CPUs. lol

PM send with more details. Provide me with your email so that I can send you few screen short:)

I will try to ship the board to you internationally.

Ok right now I'm debating on whether to get this board:
http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=163 for about $150 shipped to Aussie here.

or AMD's for little bit more $$$ which he confirmed that it does work with the 8214HE cpu's.

The Tyan one seems perfect to me at the moment because it has 4 PCI-Express lanes (2x16 and 2x8 possibly), but I'm not sure whether or not this will work with the 8214 Opty's I've got and doesn't mention it in the CPU support list neither.

@BlueFox: I've got 4x1GB DDR667 Reg'd and heaps of hard drives, probably enough to fill up the amount of sata slots available on the Tyan board.

I already listed the reason why you won't find 8000 series CPUs listed on dual socket boards. If you only have 4gb of ECC DDR2, well, 4gb of DDR3 is only $30, so...really not sure why you're against cutting your losses, and investing in something newer (as you can get 4gb DDR3, a much faster 1155 processor, and motherboard for $150), but I'm done persuading, so it's your call in the end.

(as you can get 4gb DDR3, a much faster 1155 processor, and motherboard for $150), but I'm done persuading, so it's your call in the end.

That'd be close to $400 here in Aus. Unfortunately us Aussies don't get to experience the wonderfully low priced tech in the States.

I already listed the reason why you won't find 8000 series CPUs listed on dual socket boards. If you only have 4gb of ECC DDR2, well, 4gb of DDR3 is only $30, so...really not sure why you're against cutting your losses, and investing in something newer (as you can get 4gb DDR3, a much faster 1155 processor, and motherboard for $150), but I'm done persuading, so it's your call in the end.

I'll definitely agree with you on the DDR2 ECC Registered prices, trying to find some for my second go around at a Dual Quad Opteron is a pain. I should have never sold both my boards 2.5 years ago.

Ok right now I'm debating on whether to get this board:
http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=163 for about $150 shipped to Aussie here.

or AMD's for little bit more $$$ which he confirmed that it does work with the 8214HE cpu's.

The Tyan one seems perfect to me at the moment because it has 4 PCI-Express lanes (2x16 and 2x8 possibly), but I'm not sure whether or not this will work with the 8214 Opty's I've got and doesn't mention it in the CPU support list neither.

@BlueFox: I've got 4x1GB DDR667 Reg'd and heaps of hard drives, probably enough to fill up the amount of sata slots available on the Tyan board.

The Tyan board is E-ATX. My board is ATX. If you go with Tyan make sure case supports E-ATX format.

Also, is the Tyan board new or used? If its used then there might be a problem with leaked capacitors. I had bought a used Tyan K8WE in the past and it had that problem. Friend of mine bought one and had the same problem. I had to repair the boards capacitors my self.

The gigabyte board is new and it has 16x and 8x for SLI. You decide what you want.

Good luck!

The Tyan board is E-ATX. My board is ATX. If you go with Tyan make sure case supports E-ATX format.

Also, is the Tyan board new or used? If its used then there might be a problem with leaked capacitors. I had bought a used Tyan K8WE in the past and it had that problem. Friend of mine bought one and had the same problem. I had to repair the boards capacitors my self.

The gigabyte board is new and it has 16x and 8x for SLI. You decide what you want.

Good luck!

The Tyan board is brand new with 1 year warranty, I've got two cases a Norco and a Stacker, so extended mobos won't be a problem. To be honest I want both your GB and the Tyan board as locating skt F boards are pretty hard.....anyway PM sent I will be purchasing the Tyan board first..then might need another board later on. This will be my first AMD server build, so really keen to how this all turns out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dont know if you want to ghetto mod a HP server board into a case but take a look at this combo at geeks for 60$ http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=430447-001-OPT24-PB-R&cat=MBB

Shipping Method Shipping Cost

FedEx
FedEx International Economy $228.00
FedEx International Priority $229.00

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
USPS Parcel Air $94.00

Not worth it, besides I've ditched both the Opterons together, contacted the original eBay seller and sent it back to him with a full refund. Looking for alternatives at the moment.

Back