Need a small access point.

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all. Doing a security project that requires a small access point. Normally I would use my Fon 2100+, but ever since putting Jasager on there, I don't really want to give it up. So far I have been looking at the Fon Simpl, or the Apple Airport Extreme. I like the idea of the simpl because like my 2100+ I can ghetto rig a battery pack to it for better hiding.

What the device needs to have
- Small (we are talking fits in the palm of your hand size. External power source so I can ghetto rig a battery pack is a plus
- 3rd party firmware compatible, OR has a built in VPN ability. DD-WRT or OpenWRT are the two firmwares I am currently looking at.
- 802.11 b/g. N would be nice, but my budget for this is about $70, so not sure I can get something small that works.
- External SMA connector is a huge plus. Dropping an 8dBa antenna on the device would make my life much simpler.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you, but would you mind sharing what you're using it for? Sounds pretty interesting...

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you, but would you mind sharing what you're using it for? Sounds pretty interesting...

I was thinking man-in-the-middle attacks, but he already has Jasager on the Fon, so that's covered :D

http://ubnt.com/picostation

the HP2 is the high power. doubt you would need external antenna. or they have normal ones.

this is POE, they work from 9-27 volts. ( info from their forums, not official ) so rigging up power would be even easier because of flexability. 1000mw with 6db antenna. supports ddwrt just not the newest versions.

We are doing a pentest. One of the pieces of the pentest is a physical security assessment. Usually we would just steal someone's blackberry or laptop, or take pictures of ourselves in the server room, but we decided we would plant an AP or two. Thankfully this company happens to be in a large office tower with a food court on the same floor. The plan is to drop the AP in place, then hang out in the food court to sniff around the network. As long as it goes unnoticed for at least 2 weeks the test is failed on the part of the it staff.

If this test goes well for us, we are going to make it part of our normal testing arsenal.

@gesicht those definitely look like what we are looking for. Will add them to the list of considered devices.

We are doing a pentest. One of the pieces of the pentest is a physical security assessment. Usually we would just steal someone's blackberry or laptop, or take pictures of ourselves in the server room, but we decided we would plant an AP or two. Thankfully this company happens to be in a large office tower with a food court on the same floor. The plan is to drop the AP in place, then hang out in the food court to sniff around the network. As long as it goes unnoticed for at least 2 weeks the test is failed on the part of the it staff.

If this test goes well for us, we are going to make it part of our normal testing arsenal.

@gesicht those definitely look like what we are looking for. Will add them to the list of considered devices.

Genius! I like it. May have to do the same myself.

Back