Need a recommendation for Xbox 360 gaming

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
My girlfriend just got an Xbox 360 for her birthday and she needs a TV to go with it. She's getting by on the old CRT she has now via RCA input, but it's hard to see much of what's going on, especially text. (It's only about 19" or so)

Size wise I'd say she'd be between 24-32" for where she will be putting this TV up in her bedroom. I'm not familiar with TV's for gaming, so what would you recommend?

I'm not into that whole 4:4:4 thread, so I can't recommend a specific model (I only lucked out by picking a TV that ended up being one of the top recommendations). However, I can tell you what to look for.

Firstly, 720p/1080p won't matter too much in itself due to the res that these consoles are designed for. However, if you do get a 1080p TV, look for a Samsung that has a "HDMI/DVI" slot in the back. Plug the Xbox into this slot, set the input using the Samsung remote to "PC", and have the Xbox output 1080p with full black range. This will give you native image quality AND reduced input lag.

Other than that, you're better off waiting for the experts to chime in :)

Funny that you mention Samsung. I was actually just looking at a couple different models the other day.

i was also looking at the Sharp Aquos lineup, just to see how they fared. My google fu is weak however on this subject, I think, because I'm not coming up with anything review wise that seems to give much insight.

A recent and related discussion: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718408

Medion is right, certain model Samsungs have low input lag....with the right tweaks.

You want a 32" or larger btw, since those sizes have better parts and firmware, IPS or VA panels only. TV's below the 32" size will have TN panels, worse colors/viewing angles and higher input lag.

I'm necro-ing this thread to share my results.

My girlfriend wound up getting this Toshiba.

She's rather happy with the TV, but her Xbox only has the composite cable currently. I was unaware that the "HD pack" with component hookups wasn't included anymore in the newer ones.
I blame it on sleep deprivation that I was convinced that either it, or the TV, would come with an HDMI cable. If there was supposed to be one with the TV, it wasn't in the box. Not a big deal though, since HDMI cables are relatively cheap, right?

That being said, I'm trying to find out if there's any Do's/Don'ts when it comes to HDMI cables before I pull the trigger on getting one. I know Monoprice gets thrown around a lot, but I've also heard that some people have gotten some real junk cables from them too. Is there anything I should look for before settling on a cable?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a fan of Monoprice, but I did have the connector fall apart on one of their HDMI cables when unplugging it. Might have been a fluke though, as all the others I've purchased from them are still going strong. Also have had Good luck with the the Amazon Basics HDMI cables.

Back