need a recommendation for something to record my screen

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to be able to record my screen so I can make a video of how to do something on the computer. I tried using Hypercam but 1 hr of recording produced a 30gb file - yikes! I can't even get it to play in WMP or VLC.

Now, I don't need amazing HD quality but it needs to be good enough so you can read small text on the screen and the file sizes need to be reasonable. I'd prefer to not have to get into any processing of the video files (like I don't want to have to convert them to divx or something.) I am using Win7.

Any advice?

Camtasia makes software similar to Hypercam, I have used it before but has been years so don't know much about it anymore.
Depending on how long of a video you are trying to make you may require additional editing with some sort of video editing software at it to reduce the file size even though that is not something you are looking at doing.

Camtasia makes software similar to Hypercam, I have used it before but has been years so don't know much about it anymore.
Depending on how long of a video you are trying to make you may require additional editing with some sort of video editing software at it to reduce the file size even though that is not something you are looking at doing.
This has also worked well for me. I used AVS Converter to take the edited file, and compress to a more manageable size.

There has got to be something decent that can do this and doesn't cost $300... ??

Camstudio will do this, and is free. Also Nvidia's Shadowplay may be an option if it works with recording the desktop, and you have the required hardware.

Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture. No joke.

Back