Need a recommendation for a 24 port 1U inexpensive managed or semi-managed switch

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Hi all,

It appears my trusty HP ProCurve 2824 is dying - drops packets, causes interrupted connectivity... basically not being a happy camper.

I need a 24 porter that can do LAGG/LACP and VLAN control. Also needs to be 1U mountable.

It does not have to be a truly managed switch; semi (or smart) would work as well. Do not mind buying used either; I got my ProCurve for $130 3 years ago!

Thanks in advance!

Zyxel is not bad. I like the Procurve because they are fanless and just work. I have a ProCurve 1810G-24 v1 available if that helps you any.

I bought mine second hand - not sure if the wty sticks but... I'll give it a shot, I suppose! Wonder if they can upgrade me to a fanless model :\

I've deployed and like the HP 1910 switch. Never heard of Zyxel, checking them out they seem to have some good offerings.

HP has lifetime warranty on all their procurve stuff, I've used it a couple of times and it's really painless.

HP 1910 is a really, really nice switch. As said before, it just works and just keeps working. You can even get then with poe if need be.

I recommend the HP 1910-24g je006a for non poe and the je007a for poe.

I prefer the office connect series over the procurve because of the configurable features, not to mention it just works. Anything you throw at it, it handles. Does have fans though.

Don't get a dell. I've got a bunch of 5324s and every once and again they completely forget all of their settings and go back to default. No idea why.

+1 for the Zyxel GS1910-24 :) fanless and low power usage, and the price i perfect!.

+1 for the Zyxel GS1910-24 :) fanless and low power usage, and the price i perfect!.

I know GS1900 uses crap realtek SoC/network ....
and
would assume(or wrong) GS1910 would follow that to use realtek,

used HP ProCurve 1800/1810 ...can be buy not $$(cheap) on ebay.

if you are using small netwrok, there is no differences.

1810 is fanless and low power usage and perfect price on used.

GS1910 uses Vitesse and given that the hw specs for GS1920 are very similar I'd expect it to also do so.
I have no idea what HP 1810 or 1910 uses.
//Danne

Edgeswitch Lite from Ubiquiti is another you may consider.

+1 vote on the already mentioned HP switches.

Do you think the 1920 is worth the extra $38? I really don't even need a managed switch, but the extra features would be nice. I am coming from a 1410-24g that was solid until it was hit by lightning. It took out my SB6121 modem and Ooma as well. :(

It depends, GS1920-24 is an active product whereas the GS1910-24 pretty much is EoL.
GS1920-24 have faster switching backplane, about 10% (GS1910-24 is still faster than the HP 1910), more ports, uses less power although in terms of functionality they seem very similar. GS1910 does have a serial interface which the GS1920 lacks. You won't notice a difference under normal circumstances so if you're using this for home, GS1910 will do fine, if it's for work I'd go for a GS1920.
//Danne

Why not RMA your current Pro Curve..? New or fixed switch for free can't be beat...

Product remains in effect as long as the original end user who is the
Customer owns the Product.In the event of Product discontinuance,
the ZyXEL Limited Lifetime Warranty for the Hardware of the qualifying
and applicable Product is limited to five (5) years from the announcement
of said Product discontinuance. T

must be the original owner , if the product is discontinue. they will provide only 5 years coverage

------
HP procurve
they give you lifetime warranty,
many bought used for ebay, and can get a replacemnent without the original owner proved.
they would replace identical newer model when you can prove that your switch is malfunction by itself not your fault.

It depends, GS1920-24 is an active product whereas the GS1910-24 pretty much is EoL.
GS1920-24 have faster switching backplane, about 10% (GS1910-24 is still faster than the HP 1910), more ports, uses less power although in terms of functionality they seem very similar. GS1910 does have a serial interface which the GS1920 lacks. You won't notice a difference under normal circumstances so if you're using this for home, GS1910 will do fine, if it's for work I'd go for a GS1920.
//Danne

even on low entry gs1900, you never know the differences..:p
but when the time doing heavy data-tranfers plus running LACP with 2 or more ports.
the differences is revealed.

serial is very important for me.this is easy doing old-school cmdline hahah...

GS1910 uses Vitesse and given that the hw specs for GS1920 are very similar I'd expect it to also do so.
I have no idea what HP 1810 or 1910 uses.
//Danne

good to know. Vitesse is averagely better than cheap realtek.

I read on other forum, that some people complaining 1910 due on performance and got 1920 shiny new replacement,and happy with 1920
gs9102 definetly is the choice,if I were to pick between 1910 - 1920.

I have yet to find complaints about the Zyxel switches that's rectified given the price.
//Danne

//Danne

It's for home, but I might just spend the extra money and get the newer one.

Why not RMA your current Pro Curve..? New or fixed switch for free can't be beat...
exactly, I would to that and sell it later on ebay :D. $

I bought it off of ebay used. I tried to RMA it, but HP is asking for proof of purchase now. Have you had luck doing this? The funny thing is, the switch was already almost on my doorstep (overnight shipping) and they decided to tell UPS to return it to them....? Maybe I will wait awhile a submit a new ticket to get it replaced again and see if it makes it here.

Mikrotik have a 24x1gbit+2x10gbit switch which is relatively cheap, pair that with a cheap Mellanox connectx-2 or so in a file server.. You end up with a sweet setup

HP denied the RMA for my procurve since I could not furnish a proof of purchase for something that was procured 6-7 years ago :\

HP denied the RMA for my procurve since I could not furnish a proof of purchase for something that was procured 6-7 years ago :\

What's weird is I thought they denied mine as well. I signed all of the documents though and said I could not find proof of purchase since it was long ago like you said, but I took pictures of the serials on the switch. Around 2 weeks later I randomly received a tacking number email and the new switch arrived at my house that day. I just had to send the old one back with the included label and I haven't had any issues so far.

Back